Lucas Meachem and René Barbera Star in 'The Barber of Seville'

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Lucas Meachem as Figaro in a scene from Rossini’s 'Il Barbiere di Siviglia.' (Cory Weaver/San Francisco Opera)

Tune in to WQXR this Saturday at 1 pm for Rossini's The Barber of Seville performed by the San Francisco Opera. The production stars Daniela Mack, René Barbera and Lucas Meachem in the title role.

Cast:

Figaro: Lucas Meachem
Rosina: Daniela Mack
Count Almaviva: René Barbera
Doctor Bartolo: Alessandro Corbelli
Don Basilio: Andrea Silvestrelli
Berta: Catherine Cook
Fiorello: Edward Nelson
Ambrogio: Efraín Solís
An officer: Matthew Stump

Giuseppe Finzi, conductor

Theodore Cerame from Perris, CA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETER ALLEN!

And what better way to enjoy this new autumn day than to hear this ever new and wonderful Bel Canto Opera?

Sep. 17 2016 04:04 PM

fabulous comedy, it doesn't have the humanity or intelligence of L'Elisir d'Amore or Don Pasquale but the music is just as brilliant, Rossini: genius.

Sep. 17 2016 03:48 PM
Larry Eisenberg from New York City

Of Rossini I'm a huge fan
I listen whenever I can
The Barber, what's more,
I truly adore,
For bel canto, Rossini's my man.L

Sep. 17 2016 03:36 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Thanks to the Bunny of Seville, I am in a better frame of mind and back to being my charming and witty self.

Sep. 17 2016 03:29 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Sep. 17 2016 03:27 PM
Jeffrey from Upper Montclair, NJ

Ms. Mack sings the small role of the Kitchen Boy, NOT "Rusalka"!

Sep. 17 2016 02:52 PM
Vincent

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Sep. 17 2016 02:35 PM
Theodore Cerame from Perris, CA

Yes Concetta Bugs Bunny was great. He was a, "Good egg."
And come to think of it there is more to all great operas than most people ever imagine.

Sep. 17 2016 01:00 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

As fate would have it, Daniela Mack, the Met's "Rusalka"early next year, is making her Covent Garden debut almost concurrently with today's recorded San Francisco Opera performance. All the reviews I've read have been laudatory. Her Count Almaviva is Javier Camarena, Figaro is Vito Briante, Doctor Bartolo Jose' Fardilha, Don Basilio Ferrucio Furlanetto, and the conductor Henrik Na'Na'si. Parenthetically, "Figaro" is an Italinization of "Fils d'Caron", the name Beaumarchais used in his play, so they're aren't any "Figaros" in the telephone directory.

Sep. 17 2016 09:20 AM
CONCETTA NARDONE from Nassau

There is more to this opera than Figaro's aria. Beautiful, graceful music. We need to just stop thinking of this as a comic opera.
AND Bugs Bunny immortalized it with THE BUNNY OF SEVILLE.

Sep. 17 2016 07:41 AM