Marlis Petersen Stars in Berg's 'Lulu'

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Daniel Brenna and Marlis Petersen in Lulu. Daniel Brenna and Marlis Petersen in Lulu. (Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

Tune in at 1 pm Saturday as Marlis Petersen takes on the title role in Alban Berg's Lulu in a new production by the South American artist and director, William Kentridge. Known for her interpretation of the femme fatale who succumbs to her turbulent lifestyle, Petersen recently announced that she will retire the role, making her performances of Lulu at the Met her last. She is joined by Susan Graham as the Countess Geschwitz, Johan Reuter as Dr. Schön and Jack the Ripper, Daniel Brenna as Alwa, Franz Grundheber as Schigolch and Paul Groves as the painter and African prince, all of whom vie for Lulu's affections.

The pre-recorded broadcast of this performance is led by Lothar Koenigs.

Cast:

Conductor: Lothar Koenigs

Lulu: Marlis Petersen, soprano
Dr. Schön and Jack the Ripper: Johan Reuter
Countess Geschwitz: Susan Graham
Alwa: Daniel Brenna
Schigolch: Franz Grundheber
Painer and African Prince: Paul Groves

Nell from Brooklyn, New York

12-tone music is nonsense. How can the singer, the conductor or the audience know if they are singing the right notes? For all I know, the next time it's performed they will sing different notes and no-one will know the difference.

If Mozart heard this stuff, he would have thought we have all gone mad. And guess what, he wouldn't be wrong.

This music is what gives operas a bad name...

N.

Feb. 27 2016 04:57 PM
Norma J F Harrison from Berkeley, Ca

Has the station - seems one on which you rely - ever done anything right?? (re the upset expressed here, today.) ...people looking for excuses not contribute$ millions$ no doubt.
For me I marvel the performers can memorize this music. It's so out of the genre we pretty much started out with - I love the modern classics - they so express us who look hither and thither for our minds, coming back altogether enriched by our search and the goals we find thereby. normaha@pacbell.net

Feb. 27 2016 03:50 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

I am not locked up in the 18th century. Menotti, Glass, Stravinsky, Prokofieff, are 20th century. Music I very much admire. Also liked Nixon in China but forgot who wrote it. Wish the Met would bring it back.
Puccini's and Bizet's music gave their heroines the dignity of tragedy.

Feb. 27 2016 03:40 PM

Being repulsed by Berg and Lulu has nothing to do with being "locked up" in the 18th century (by the way the great operas I praised were from the 19th century). I enjoy Philip Glass, Nico Muhly among other opera and film composers, from the 20th and 21st centuries, so I'm not locked up anywhere.

Feb. 27 2016 03:28 PM
bern from la la land

Jack the Ripper should have gotten to her before the first act. Why do people listen to this stuff? It's not good, just like 20th century English opera.

Feb. 27 2016 02:58 PM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

Dear, oh dear! Some of the commenters here seem to have their musical tastes locked up in the 18th century. I'm glad that the Met is more enlightened than that, and offers us gems from the 20th, like this one. Bravo, Met, and bravo to Berg and to this splendid cast.

Feb. 27 2016 02:40 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Thank you Uncle Charlie. technical difficulties indeed! I did not plan to listen to this piece. Do not like operas about sluts and whores unless Puccini and Bizet write music for them. Oh dear, did I use a politically incorrect term for Lulu.
Instead, I listened to Fidelio, an opera about a brave and devoted wife with
great music.

Feb. 27 2016 02:28 PM
Jeff from NJ

While some listeners may find Berg painful to hear, I believe Paul Groves is singing the role of the PAINTER, not the "Painer"(sic!)!!!!!

Feb. 27 2016 02:04 PM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

Wonderful performance by all, although I did not like the sets, on which I have commented previously. Was looking forward to the broadcast, but WQXR spoiled it for me by introducing it so abruptly after their "technical" blunder.

Feb. 27 2016 02:03 PM

The greatest operas are depressing, they all end in deaths (Bohème), suicides (Lucia), burnings at the stake (Trovatore), people being buried alive (Aida), stabbings (Carmen) etc. But they were written by geniuses, not a pretentious fraud like Alban Berg. Random, dreadful music and the computerized twelve-tone technique is pure silliness, enough to drive someone insane. I've suffered through it live a couple of times, not no more thanks. I'll watch Elton John on AOL at 3pm instead.

Feb. 27 2016 01:49 PM
Daniel Guma from NYC

"TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES" ? and now all of a sudden Lulu without any introduction with the opera well underway? and you expect to get away with just saying "technical difficulties"?!!
Shame on you!!!
another reason not to give a cent for your pledge drives!!

Feb. 27 2016 01:21 PM
Joan

Thank you for correcting the error! Glad to hear "Lulu"

Feb. 27 2016 01:16 PM
Barry O'Neal from NYC

Wnat the hell? Technical problem? What is going on at WQXR? Amateurism seems to reign. Somebody push the wrong button? Well at least we get most of LULU.
What a mess!

Barry-O

Feb. 27 2016 01:15 PM
Adele (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

1:30 Lulu just came on. They say problem caused by technical difficulty & they apologize.

Feb. 27 2016 01:15 PM
Mitch from nyc

Bah humbug.!!! You have broadcast Tanhauser earlier, and was looking foward to hearing LULU today...What's going on with you guys, some big mistake.

Feb. 27 2016 01:13 PM
Nancy de Flon from New York State Orange County

That's the pits! I was looking forward to "Lulu"! I was at that Tannhauser, heard the broadcast last month; I want to hear "Lulu." Is no one there aware of it?

Feb. 27 2016 01:12 PM
daniel from NYT

How come nobody updated the website to alert listeners to this change in programming?? Even the Met's website still announces Lulu!!

Feb. 27 2016 01:12 PM
cBerglie from Sea Cliff NY

Absolutely no explanation for the change in schedule, esp. when will Lulu be broadcast???

Feb. 27 2016 01:10 PM
David Cotton

And you're asking me to donate money?

Feb. 27 2016 01:10 PM
daniel from NYC

Why nobody updated the website to alert listeners to the change in programming?
Another example of ignoring listeners' interests.

Feb. 27 2016 01:09 PM
fwm111 from new york city

Your schedule says that LuLu will be broadcast today, however , there is only a tired old TAnhauser that was broadcast earlier in the season....What the hell happened, or did you decide to punish doubly on this week of your more than annoying Pledge Drive....I was going to give you some money...but not now....

Feb. 27 2016 01:09 PM
Mike from NYC

Tanhauser??!? And no explanation on the page?? Someone's either asleep or drunk at WQXR and the Met.... Or, both.

Feb. 27 2016 01:09 PM
Joan

Am I the only one hearing "Tannhäuser" instead of "Lulu"?...

Feb. 27 2016 01:08 PM
A confused listener from Manhattan

I thought this was a broadcast of Berg's "Lulu," but right now I'm hearing Wagner's "Tannhauser" on the radio! What's going on?

Feb. 27 2016 01:06 PM
Jeff from NJ

Really? It's sounds a lot like the Tannhauser we already heard last month!!!!

Feb. 27 2016 01:06 PM
Tom from NYC

What happened? They're broadcasting Tannhauser!

Feb. 27 2016 01:05 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Story much too depressing for me to listen to. Her last customer is
Jack the Ripper.