Met Cancels Performances After Someone Sprinkles Suspicious Powder on Orchestra

Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:01 PM

The Scene outside the Met (Dylan Hayden / Twitter)

Update 11:49 pm Saturday: NBC News Channel 4 is reporting that the powder substance spread into the Metropolitan Opera's orchestra pit, which halted the performance of Guillaume Tell during its second intermission on Saturday, may have been the ashes of an opera lover and that police now know the identity of the man who spread the powder-like substance and are trying to reach him.

On Saturday a performance of Guillaume Tell at the Metropolitan Opera was interrupted when an unidentified person sprinkled some sort of powder into the orchestra pit. The NYPD is investigating the incident. It was reported that a spokesperson for the NYPD said the person fled the scene.

The Met, through its Facebook page, posted the following:

The Met has since updated its Facebook post to say that this evening’s performance of L’Italiana in Algeri was also cancelled while the authorities investigate the incident.

WQXR staff member Kathleen Drohan was at the performance and described the experience in the hall during the second intermission.

"I was sitting about six rows back from the orchestra pit, and soon uniform guards came and stood on each side of the pit. Some people in the audience began a slow clap, I think to encourage the show to begin again. After several minutes, the spokesperson came out again to assure us that everyone backstage was ok, but they had to end the show," said Drohan.

"As we left, there were several police cars lined up in front of Lincoln Center Plaza. That's when we got concerned," she added. "It wasn't until much later and via social media that I learned what happened."

The mayor's press secretary Eric Phillips tweeted that the mayor has been briefed and that there was no immediate danger or injuries.

Even with all the best will in the world, I can't help but feel this man was another one of the narcissistic people who've overrun this world as if from another planet. How can anyone feel they have the right to do what he did? I certainly understand wanting to honor a dead friend, but scattering ashes in the orchestra pit and causing uncounted upset, not to mention how truly inappropriate that is...all I can say is WOW! That he did it for whichever reason(s) does not excuse this.

I wonder if any of the disappointed operagoers will attempt to sue him for something?

Oct. 31 2016 09:08 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

I have a bunch of lefties of my acquaintance who hate their country,traditions, etc.

Oct. 31 2016 06:51 AM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va

This is simply a continued increase in lawless activity in New York City under it's Big Bird communist mayor. Respect for law has broken down. I have been coming up to New York, where I was born, to attend the Met for forty years, and in the last three have noticed an increase in all types of crime.
I recently attended a performance of The Virginia Opera where unknown to the audience prior to the performance,the orchestra peformed the National Anthem.
The two thousand seat venue at George Manson University Center for Performing Arts was nearly sold out and everyone stood and applauded. NO Black Lives Matter pukes took a knee.
We need more of this pro America atmosphere, espesically in the liberal oriented arts community, perhaps this would cause crazy people to restrain from acting out in public venues.
I sincerly hope this insane criminal is caught and not excused by New Yorks liberal leaders and media. Send him straight to jail. People travel long distances, pay for hotel rooms and tickets to attend the Met. and many have lost a great deal of money due to this insanity.

Oct. 30 2016 10:22 AM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Bizarre doings indeed. I hope it was something as relatively harmless as someoen's ashes, strange as that may be.

Oct. 30 2016 09:27 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

I read the headline and I couldn't believe my eyes. What a world we live in now. I'm not trying to be flip, but I can't help thinking that if W.H. Auden were living today, he wouldn't have written "The Age of Anxiety" that Leonard Bernstein based his Symphony No. 2 on, it would be "The Age of Insanity". Thanks for letting me vent.

Oct. 30 2016 12:13 AM

The NYPD are now aware of who the man who caused the disruption is. They say he sprinkled ash of a recently deceased mentor or friend in the hall. Since there is nothing obviously illegal about the disruption, the NYPD is looking for something to charge him with. It is has a bittersweet ending.

Oct. 29 2016 10:32 PM