Mozart's Don Giovanni from the Royal Opera House

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Malin Bryström is Donna Anna, Mariusz Kwiecień is the title character in Don Giovanni Malin Bryström is Donna Anna, Mariusz Kwiecień is the title character in Don Giovanni (Royal Opera House/Bill Cooper)

Saturday at 1 pm, join us to hear Mozart's Don Giovanni, a depiction of the last day and night of the most iconic of seducers, in a widely-acclaimed Covent Gardent production directed by Kasper Holten. Polish baritone Mariusz Kwiecien is the the infamous womanizer whose “little black book” holds thousands of names.

Donna Elvira (Véronique Gens ), whom he abandoned three days after their hasty wedding, conspires with the scorned Donna Anna (Malin Byström) and her betrothed Don Ottavio (Antonio Poli) to bring the rake to justice. Alex Esposito plays the Don’s lackey Leporello; Elizabeth Watts is the innocent Zerlina, whose wedding to Masetto (Dawid Kimberg) is threatened by Giovanni’s charms; Alexander Tsymbalyuk plays the omniscient Commendatore.

Cast:
Conductor: Nicola Luisotti
Orchestra: Orchestra of the Royal Opera House
Don Giovanni: Mariusz Kwiecień
Leporello: Alex Esposito
Donna Anna: Malin Byström
Donna Elvira: Véronique Gens
Don Ottavio: Antonio Poli
Zerlina: Elizabeth Watts
Masetto: Dawid Kimberg
Commendatore: Alexander Tsymbalyuk
Chorus: Royal Opera Chorus

Taken from a historical point if view, the greatest DON OTTAVIO was RICHARD TAUBER, DON GIOVANNI was EZIO PINZA, LEPORELLO was SALVATORE BACCALONI, COMMANDATORE was ALEXANDER KIPNIS, ELVIRA was ROSA PONSELLE and DONNA ANNA was BIRGIT NILSSON. Remember TOSCANINI conducted it with the DE RESZKE brothers JEAN and EDUARD, but unfortunately of them only the bass EDUARD DE RESZKE has recorded the roles of COMMANDATORE and LEPORELLO. Luckily for the younger members of these blogs there are many recordings of good enough quality to verify any judgments made. I personally make my judgment of a performer or composer or conductor b y their live performance. I am both an opera composer and Wagnerian heldentenor so my judgments stem from a professional background. www.WagnerOpera.com

Oct. 26 2014 01:42 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

@vicric: Thanks for your kind words and you got it right for Leporello and Donna Elvira. My brain froze for those two.
Best wishes

Oct. 26 2014 07:06 AM
Cherubino from Deep South

I thought the sound was odd, without enough treble; however, that may be my fault. My first DG was at the old Met in '57, with Dr. Boehm conducting (Siepi, Steber, Della Casa, Peters, Valleti). Gradually I became aware of how lucky I was to be there, 19 and overwhelmed.

Oct. 25 2014 05:24 PM

Thanks to WQXR for broadcasting this marvelous production of DON GIOVANNI. One of my voice teachers JOHN BROWNLEE sang the title role of the DON in the GLYNDEBOURNE recording of the complete opera. My favorite DON was EZIO PINZA who I saw sing it at the MET OPERA with JARMILA NOVOTNA as Donna Elvira. SALVATORE BACCALONI was the Leporello. JAN PEERCE was the Ottavio. Charisma shone through every moment with every performer. The distinctive timbre of each of the singers and the teamwork in ensemble conection vocally and dramatically and musically was of the highest order. The broadcast has just now concluded. My own solo performance this past Saturday of the sixth in the series of The 300 Greatest Love Songs of Broadway, the Movies and the Grammys at the New Life Expo at he Pennsylvania Hotel in New York was amongst my best yet. www.WagnerOpera.com

Oct. 25 2014 04:04 PM

What a great dramatis personae Concetta Nardone from Nassau has offered us for _Don Giovanni_. Witty, light, but she hits her targets squarely. I'm taking on perhaps more than I can handle in trying to fill her two omissions, but here goes:

Leporello: Score-keeper for the losing side.
Donna Elvira: She'll probably have better sex in the convent.

Oct. 25 2014 03:55 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Love the characters in this one.
Don Giovanni: Rapist/murderer
Zerlina: Looking for a better deal.
Masetto: Cuckold in waiting.
Ottavio: Will have to wait forever.
Donna Anna: Will mourn forever.
Commendatore: Avenging Angel
All with great music. Nice performance today.
Bravi tutti.

Oct. 25 2014 02:34 PM
Hans `t Hart from Erkrath, Germany

I am always looking forward to the opera broadcasts on wqxr. I am living in Germany and the broadcasts starts at 7 PM. Tonight it is an excellent performance of Don Giovanni from the Royal Opera House Covent Garden.

Oct. 25 2014 01:58 PM

Although it is only 42 minutes into the broadcast of Covent Garden's DON GIOVANI it is clear that the casting is superlative, vocally and dramaturgically. It was always proclaimed far and wide during the 1930s that the MET OPERA had the best MOZARTEAN roster, even better than GLYNDEBOURNE'S roster ! However these singers meet those high standards. It is essential that each role is represented with the appropriate vocal timbre, ease of vocal range, voice size and attention to nuancing both musically and dramatically. This performance has all the proper ingredients.

Oct. 25 2014 01:40 PM

The opera DON GIOVANNI has many facets emotionally, melodically, socially and represents the royal approach as does LE NOZZE DI FIGARO of the self-proclaimed right to do as they will not to be governable legally or life style-wise by the peons. The real life Casanova of VICENZA claimed in his written bio that he never achieved his goals in his zealous search for sensual pleasure. MOZART like BEETHOVEN and WAGNER and VERDI courted the public's wrath in dealing with the so-called upper class. Anticipating that today's broadcast will exemplify the best of today's crop of singers for their roles, I'll be tuning in.

Oct. 25 2014 12:28 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

CBC: Hope you are well.
Looking forward to listening today to an opera about a rapist/murderer.

Oct. 25 2014 11:01 AM