New Music for the Year 2014

Sunday, January 26, 2014

New releases on Choral Mix,

This week Kent Tritle surveys some of the best recent recordings. There are new arrivals of old and contemporary material, from conductorless ensembles to groups led by well-established maestros. We hear music from England, Estonia and even that far-off land of Los Angeles!

These days the classical music world is asking itself a lot of serious questions about its viability and endurance, but the growing number of new choral albums tell a different story: choral music is thriving.

Playlist

Songs of Olden Times: Estonian Folk Hymns and Runic Songs: Heinavanker

Songs of Olden Times: Estonian Folk Hymns and Runic Songs: Heinavanker

Traditional (arranger, Margo Kolar): Ammuste aegade laulud:

I. Haned kadunud / The old-time songs: I. Geese are gone

Heinavanker Ensemble

Harmonia Mundi 907488

The Phoenix Rising: Stile Antico

The Phoenix Rising: Stile Antico

Thomas Tallis: Salvator mundi

Orlando Gibbons: O clap your hands

Stile Antico

Harmonia Mundi SACD HMU807572

(though love be a day) selected choral works of matthew brown: antioch chamber ensemble

Matthew Brown: Another Lullaby for Insomniacs

Times go by Turns: New York Polyphony

Times go by Turns: New York Polyphony

Richard Rodney Bennett: A Colloquy with God

John Plummer: Missa Sine nomine: Kyrie

Gabriel Jackson: Ite missa est

New York Polyphony

(Steven Caldicott Wilson, Tenor; Geoffrey Dunstan Williams, Countenor; Christopher Dylan Herbert, Baritone; Craig Phillips, Bass)

Bis 2037

Johann Sebastian Bach: Matthäus-Passion

Johann Sebastian Bach: Matthäus-Passion

Johann Sebastian Bach: Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244:

Kommt, ihr Tochter

Fabio Trumpy, Tenor; Werner Güra, Tenor; Bernarda Fink, Mezzo Soprano; Topi Lehtipuu, Tenor; Konstantin Wolff, Baritone

Berlin RIAS Chamber Chorus, Academy for Ancient Music Berlin, Berlin State and Cathedral Choir

René Jacobs, Conductor

Bis 2037

i would love direct links to itunes for purchase

Jan. 28 2014 04:44 AM

Thanks, organman77. I'm aware of the fact that I can see a current playlist, but if I knew that I could hear Vaughan Williams' "Serenade to Music" at a future time that was good for me, I'd be sure to tune in.

Unfortunately, that is not available now. I recently turned on the radio in the middle of "Carnival of the Animals" and wished that I had been given advance notice -- I would have tuned in earlier.

Jan. 26 2014 06:01 PM

Hey DuckDeadeye, I don't know how you listen, but if you're online you get a playlist as the works are being played. There is a tab at the top of the page that you can use to get info on the piece, performers, the album and time of the piece. To x002009, I'm listening at 4:18 pm which you can go to and listen after a program has been broadcast and you'll be able to identify what you're looking for. To Trent: Keep up the good work, I've always enjoyed your show, but have to listen after the fact because it's on too early for me. It also saddens me that these kids won't hear this music. They don't get any in school, and when I was growing up our chorus competed in statewide and regional choral competitions.

Jan. 26 2014 04:22 PM
Gary Ekman from Turtle Bay/Manhattan/NYC

Komm ihr tochter -- one of the masterpieces of Western music.

It saddens me to know that an entire generation of young people plugged into their iPhones listening to [pop music sensation of the month] will never hear this chorale and will never have the glimpse of extraordinary beauty and, yes, divinity, it represents.

Jan. 26 2014 08:30 AM
x002009 from Beachwood, New Jersey

How the heck can you call this a "playlist" without being a list that includes times? I just heard a very interesting selection, and unfortunately was unable to identify the title of it.

Jan. 26 2014 07:18 AM

How is it that we can get a playlist for "special" programming but not for day-to-day regular programming? Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy seeing a playlist ahead of time. I wish we could see one all the time.

DD~~