Puccini's Tosca from San Francisco Opera

Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Act I finale of 'Tosca' at San Francisco Opera The Act I finale of 'Tosca' at San Francisco Opera (San Francisco Opera)

Saturday at 1 pm, the San Francisco Opera broadcast features Puccini's masterful melodrama with soprano Patricia Racette in the title role, Brian Jagde as her lover Cavaradossi and Mark Delavan as Scarpia, the antagonistic police chief.

Racette opened the San Francisco broadcast season last wek in Boito's Mefistofele and returns to headline two more productions (she also sang Tosca in New York last season). She sings opposite Jagde, an American tenor who is a graduate of San Francisco Opera’s Adler and Merola Programs.

Tosca, trapped between her lover and the law, must make a heartbreaking choice that will seal Cavaradossi’s fate. Nicola Luisotti conducts.

Cast:
Cesare Angelotti: Christian Van Horn
Sacristan: Dale Travis
Mario Cavaradossi: Brian Jagde
Floria Tosca: Patricia Racette
Baron Scarpia: Mark Delavan
Spoletta: Joel Sorensen
Sciarrone: Ao Li
Shepherd boy: Ryan Nelson-Flack
Jailer: Ryan Kuster

San Francisco Opera Chorus and Orchestra
Conductor: Nicola Luisotti
Chorus Director: Ian Robertson

Dimitrios

Thank God for performances like this. The setting of the story is respected and the audience gets to enjoy the music in the appropriate setting. Unfortunately such performances are becoming rare with directors seemingly gleefully trying to pervert the original story in order to...what?

Aug. 31 2014 11:25 AM
im2late from Northern NJ

"CBC At least it looks like a Church instead of an alley in lower Manhatan. " AMEN!

Aug. 30 2014 02:53 PM
ardath_bey

wobble fest from San Francisco

Aug. 30 2014 02:41 PM
Adele F (aka AF) from Nassau County, Long Island

I like Mark Delavan as Scarpia, but I think it's because he reminds me of one of my favorite Scarpia's: Sherill Milnes!

As for Tosca and Cavaradossi, I keep hearing in my head the '53 Tosca of Callas and DiStefano! For me that recording is THE Tosca.

Aug. 30 2014 02:19 PM

Ah, Zinka, I'm glad she's not forgotten. I have some "pirate" recordings of her Desdemona & she was great but never given a b'cast of Desdemona.

Aug. 30 2014 02:00 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

This opera is lurid, melodramatic and WONDERFUL.
CBC: I like Racette, not the greatest voice but she has presence and can act. I too have the Tebaldi, Delmonico LP as well as the CD Bjoerling, Milanov. I am tuly blessed.
Best wishes to all.

Aug. 30 2014 01:16 PM

CBC At least it looks like a Church instead of an alley in lower Manhatan. I like Racette's voice but I noticed a little in the top. I hope she's not pushing too hard. Today will telll us a lot. My very 1st LP was the Tosca with Tebaldi, DelMonaco & London. I wore it out. I was at Levine's Met debut. He knew what fff, con tutta forza, meant. Not a wasted note in this opera. And the Met production is garbarge - the Zefirelli one was so beautiful. State bene.

Aug. 30 2014 12:53 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

CBC: Hope you are well. Looking forward to listening to this glorious opera.
This opera has everything, attempted rape, murder, suicide, politics. All with gorgeous music.
From the foto on the home page, it looks like a beautiful production and unlike the trash the Met gave us.

Aug. 30 2014 07:01 AM