Trivia Quiz: How Well Do You Know WQXR?

Friday, December 02, 2016

On September 1, 1938, WQXR became the first station in the United States to broadcast taped content on the air. The station broadcast the first act of the opera Carmen. On Sept. 1, 1938, WQXR became the first station in the United States to broadcast taped content on the air. The station broadcast the first act of which opera? (WQXR Archive Collections)

In celebration of WQXR's 80th birthday on Saturday, Dec. 3, take our quiz to test your knowledge of WQXR past and present. And if you need some clues, take a look at the WQXR Timeline.

Produced by:

Kim Nowacki

I'm a pretty good guesser. 10 for 10 (though several were pull-a-rabbit-out-of-a-hat guesses!). I've been a listener since 1976—the year I moved to NYC.

DuckDeadeye~~

Dec. 05 2016 09:09 AM
Frank from Montclair, NJ

I will always remember .... "This is June LaBelle...... This IS the Station of The New York Times...... sound.... DING!
So Iconic.... a very, very, fond memory.

Dec. 04 2016 12:01 AM
Susan from Morningside Hts.

About 12-15 years ago I was at a reception with my father, which was mostly attended by people his age in my hometown of Croton-on-Hudson. We chatted for awhile with our tablemates, one of whom had a wonderfully deep and resonant voice. We finally exchanged names at some point. The name "Lloyd Moss" went by me at first... until I matched the name with the voice. It was indeed the same Lloyd Moss, and I told him how I couldn't believe it had taken me even that many moments to put the name and voice together after hearing both "for decades" on WQXR. "For decades" the friend next to him said? "You must have started listening at 17." Actually, he was just about right! It's been on ever since!

PS -- Lloyd Moss gave the most wonderful advice on air several decades ago: the best time for NYC dwellers to see a Broadway show is during a snowstorm, when many out-of-towners have to call in and cancel or defer their tickets. He was so right!

PPS-- Speaking of advice, as the reception noted above was breaking up, I told him that, from my perspective, "There's no such thing as too much baroque."

Dec. 03 2016 06:03 PM
Sam Hall Kaplan from Malibu

Remember WQXR! perhaps too well. Not only did I have to write the 5 minute broadcast (1959-1960) "every hour on the hour the NY Times brings you the latert news bulletin," I also had to write the crawls for the Times Square tower, and carry the copy by hand from 229 W 43rd st, to the Tower.

Dec. 03 2016 12:51 PM
Winona Winkler Wendth from Boston, MA

Every Saturday the radio was turned on to Opera at the Met, the rest of the time to late afternoon's Jacques Frey, whose broadcast was such an important ritual for my mother that we played his theme from Tales of Hoffman at her funeral.

Dec. 03 2016 12:28 PM
John Heslin from 11726

I was a tech nerd in training back in the early to mid 1960's. I would play with the AM/FM tuner section of our RCA console stereo discovering all the radio stations that where broadcasting in the New York City area. That was how I discovered WQXR at 1560AM and at 96.3FM! I was enthralled to find that the same program was on the air at the same time. I fell in love with classical music as I listened to it over the years. I really got excited to see WQXR was broadcasting "LIVE" at the annual IHF (Institute of High Fidelity) show at the old Penn Hotel across from Madison Square Garden back in the late 1960's!

Dec. 03 2016 12:02 PM
Rita from 07626

The beginning was 1974 when Itzhak Perlman made me love the violin. In the same year, I discovered the Canadian Brass on WQXR, and I was hooked! In those days, I enjoyed Karl Haas, George Jelinek, and of course, Nimet. Saturday opera was a must, but also, on Sunday nights, Cadillac sponsored opera. Lloyd Moss had a wry sense of humor and added comic relief. My radio is permanently tuned to WQXR:you offer beauty and calm in an insane world. Here's to the next 80 years!

Dec. 03 2016 11:49 AM
Ed Sayre from Massachusetts

I have listened to WQXR from when I was a teenager slaving over my Regis High school Latin homework. That was about 65 years ago. I remember driving into NYC after having left for upstate NY to fulfill an Air Force commitment. When I heard WQXR on the car radio I exclaimed to the family that "Civilization still lives!" Keep up the good work.

Dec. 03 2016 11:40 AM
Martin B. Brilliant from New Jersey, USA

I was one day short of 5 years old, living in Brooklyn, when W2XR became WQXR, and I remember my disappointment at a change in something so familiar. I remember that the "Q" was written as a script capital so that it looked almost like a "2", and read later that the "Q" was chosen so that it could be written that way. That makes me one of the first listeners to WQXR. Still, I had to guess at many of the answers in the quiz, and was lucky to get 8 correct out of 10.

Dec. 02 2016 10:07 PM
Linda Mantel from Portland OR

I lived in NYC until 1993 and listened to WQXR every day, most of the day. Then I moved to Portland, OR, where we are lucky to have KQAC, All Classical, to which I listen every day. But I spend about 4 weeks in NY per year, and guess what--the radio is still tuned to 105.3. So I am still a supporter of Good Music, wherever I am.

Dec. 02 2016 06:16 PM
robert a. lowe from manhattan, east harlem

I have been listening since the late 1960's. I used to take a late lunch to go home to hear Karl Haas. I awoke with George Edwards and usually closed the day with Duncan Pirnie. I liked George Jellinek's programs. WQXR continues to educate me in classical music which I now see both as entertainment and enrichment. The radio is on all day and the dogs and cat listen when we are out. Happy Birthday and many more!

Dec. 02 2016 05:31 PM
Chris from Cooperstown NY

I have listened to QXR most of my life. My Mom loved classical music and I began listening when I developed rheumatic fever in the 1950's. We had a radio with a plastic case and I would lie in bed and listen at night when the reception was better. I now live a suburb of Cooperstown and stream it every day.

Dec. 02 2016 05:11 PM
veeemoh from Putnam Valley, New York

I have been a listener to WQXR, ever since we arrived in the United States in '38. I remember much about the intervening years, but what particularly stands out: I
caught' the night host, Nimet Habashy, she of the mellifluous, soothing voice and fabulous knowledge, in a grammatical slip, wrote to her at the station and received an apologetic acknowledgment. I must confess I liked you better as a commercial station, since I now cannot hear you in my Putnam County home. When on the road, I lose you around Pleasantville and even tuning in to the Ossining outlet does not help to receive your broadcasts.

Dec. 02 2016 04:40 PM
Granny from Hoboken

I remember Jacques Frey, cocktail hour, Mr. Sherman, and Saturday operas. Love them all

Dec. 02 2016 03:43 PM
Henk from Daarlerveen, the Netherlands

Happy Birthday WQXR. Here in the Netherlands, I enjoy your music every day. Thanks to the app I can even listen to your music driving in my car. I never forget the the short meeting I had with Jeff Spurgeon in 2008 when WQXR still was the Classical Station of the New York Times. Keep up your good work. Thank you for the music!

Dec. 02 2016 01:22 PM
Shu from NJ

I have been devoted to WQXR since 1959. Living in the back of a laundry, I would fall asleep while my parents worked deep into the night, listening to a show called, "Nights in Latin America" followed by another that featured Till Eulenspiegel as it's opening theme. I still have great affection for the horns from that piece! And, we would listen Saturdays to the rehearsal broadcasts with Bernstein followed, I think, by a light classical music show, "The Cocktail Hour." Good memories! Happy Anniversary, Wishing many, many more!

Dec. 02 2016 12:35 PM
sam bork from Brooklyn

I have been a devoted WQXR listener since 1962. Goerge Edwards' "Luncheon Concert" piqued my interest with "Bolero", played by the 1001 STRINGS. Afterwards I listened to a very informative Robert Lawrance, Mario Bragiotti, and of course, George Jellinek. I have MANY TREASURED memories of QXR experiences.

Dec. 02 2016 12:15 PM