Quiz: How Well Do You Know Your Mozart?

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Mozart's Birthplace in Salzburg, Austria Mozart's Birthplace in Salzburg, Austria (Jakobradlgruber/Shutterstock)

We have been hearing Mozart regularly for years in our concert halls, in TV commercials and at the movies. We play his music for our children, (misguidedly) hoping to make them smarter. But how well known is his life and music really?

Listen to WQXR this week for clues, then take our (moderately tricky!) quiz and see how much you know. We'll introduce a new quiz every week this month.

concetta nardone

Mr. St.Onge, no need to apologize. I don't know everything even if I act like I do.
Best wishes

Nov. 06 2013 08:25 AM
Robert St.Onge from Cochiti Lake,NM

I apologize,Ms. Nardone. It's been over two decades since I lived in NYC. So I went to trusty Google. Lorenzo Da Ponte died on Aug. 17, 1838 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Woodside, Queens.

Nov. 05 2013 02:06 PM
concetta nardone

Woodlawn Cemetery(?) is in the Bronx. Lived half a block away from one of the entrances. Off Decatur Avenue. Saw the funeral cars entering there when Duke Ellington was buried. Long time ago. One night I actually heard the song of the nightingale. First and last time ever. And last summer, I actually got to see a hummingbird here on Long Island. First time as well. At least when I leave this valley of tears, I can say I heard a nightingale and saw a hummingbird. I also had the beauty of Mozart's music to gladden my soul. So there.

Nov. 05 2013 10:11 AM
Aviva Cantor from Ndw York NY, USA

The solution to the mystery of Mozart's death and burial must begin with the questions of why his body was not on display at St. Stephen's Cathedral for a time worthy of him, and why he ended up in a mass grave, on a day when the weather was misty but not stormy that day. We must consider his relationship with his sometime patron Baron Von Swieten, who arranged and paid for a third-class burial. The baron was anxious that there be no autopsy performed on the composer's body before burial (hence the haste to bury him) or after (hence the mass grave). As the son of the previous court physician who introduced mercury to Austria as the "cure" for syphilis, the baron suspected that Mozart suffered from this dread disease. Mozart thought so, too, which is my he self-medicated with mercury. He died not of syphilis but of mercury poisoning, which is consistent with his symptoms.

Nov. 03 2013 03:51 PM
Stanis Mihm

A month of Bach, OK I got thru it.
A month of Mozart?
AARGH, a good reason to sign up for XM

Nov. 03 2013 10:56 AM

Took the quiz.

Overall sense of it? Who cares?

Nov. 03 2013 01:55 AM
Robert St.Onge from Cochiti Lake,NM

Lorenzo DaPonte is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Brooklyn.His last employer was Columbia University where he served as the first Distinguished Professor of Italian Literature.

Nov. 02 2013 12:31 PM
Barry from Millburn, NJ

That was fun! How many of you know where Da Ponte is buried? Just asking . . .

Nov. 02 2013 12:06 PM
Robert St.Onge from Cochiti Lake,NM

The question about the 311 line music is not helpful to those of us outside the city. Consider that for your other quizzes. Otherwise, Bravo, Bravo Amade, Gottlieb and Amadeus - all of which mean, appropriately, "Beloved of God".

Nov. 01 2013 01:56 PM
Sandy from NJ, USA

got two wrong; not bad

Nov. 01 2013 12:47 PM
WQXR

There may be a slight lag before the quiz displays, depending on your browser and network speed. It's mainly due to the spreadsheet technology that we used to build it. Thanks for your patience and we hope you enjoy the quiz.

Nov. 01 2013 12:44 PM
Lynn David from Jersey Shore

mine isn't either....but, I'm so happy it's Mozart month anyway!!!

Nov. 01 2013 12:29 PM
Aviva from Kew Gardens

Try the full screen option. That's how I got it to show up.

Nov. 01 2013 12:26 PM
Diana McCormack from Work!

quiz isn't loading.

Nov. 01 2013 11:47 AM

About Month of Mozart

Mozart is arguably the most admired and most adapted composer in the history of Western music. He has the most recordings (nearly 10,000 in print and has been referenced endlessly in popular culture. His life has been filtered through many theories of genius and creativity – some plausible, others outlandish. Unlike many composers, Mozart has never gone out of fashion, in part because his music has come to stand for so many aspects of classical music. Throughout November, WQXR celebrates Mozart's work through concert broadcasts, multimedia projects, marathons and other features.