Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of Shakespeare and Music

Tune in for Shakespeare-Inspired Pieces Wednesday on WQXR

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 12:00 AM

Nadja Michael as Lady Macbeth in Verdi's 'Macbeth' Nadja Michael as Lady Macbeth in Verdi's 'Macbeth' (Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera)

William Shakespeare is widely acknowledged as the greatest writer in the English language. And countless literary composers drew inspiration from his works. So the only appropriate way to truly honor his 450th birthday is a truly English endeavor: a good old quiz.

How well do you know your William? Are you brainy about the Bard? Test your knowledge below.

@Gary
Ah, yes, the devil is in the details.

DD~~

Apr. 25 2014 07:33 PM
Suzanne from New York

No, Marschallin from Manhattan, you're not the only one. I've drawn a blank on the quiz as well.

Apr. 24 2014 11:25 AM
Gary Heilsberg

Simon Keenlyside did not play "the title character" in 'The Tempest,' although he did do a bit of storming around. He played the title character in "Hamlet" a few seasons before, but that was not one of the options.

Apr. 24 2014 12:33 AM
The Marschallin from Manhattan

Is everybody able to access the Quizz but me? All I get is a blank...

Apr. 23 2014 01:47 PM
Bonnie Stevens from Chappaqua, NY

I was able to enter the ticket giveaway for "Much Ado About Nothing" in honor of the 450th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth, but think that too little time was allowed to enter (6 hours). For people like me who have no computer at home, but use the public library when I need the Internet, it is rather inconvenient. Fortunately I am now retired and could get to the library when it opened between 9:00 AM and noon. Had I still been working, that would not have been possible. Anyway, if I win, I will be happy to go with my elderly mother (age 96) to see this wonderful play. Also, many thanks to WQXR for its recent instrument collection. Many, many children will be able to benefit from being able to receive a musical instrument while in school, as I did in 4th-8th grade (the violin).

Apr. 23 2014 11:38 AM