Quiz: Which Beethoven Symphony Are You?

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Portrait of Ludwig van Beethoven by Joseph Karl Stieler. Portrait of Ludwig van Beethoven by Joseph Karl Stieler. (Wikipedia Commons/Wikipedia Commons)

We’re throwing a radio party for Beethoven! Tune into WQXR on Friday, Dec. 16, for music once an hour by the maestro and listen for your chance to win our new Beethoven tote bag. Plus, we’ll have his Ninth Symphony as your Two O’Clock Special.

Speaking of symphonies, take our quiz and find out if you're heroic like Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, inspiring like his Ninth or blunt and powerful like the Fifth. You're only a couple of questions away from finding out.

Produced by:

Kim Nowacki and Michael Rosin

SE from Brooklyn

My 7 week old will stop crying for only two things in life: Food and Beethoven's Fifth. I have recordings conducted by Leonard Bernstein and Carlos Klieber. As far as I can tell, he is indifferent to the recording, as long as it's the Fifth.

If I try the Seventh, Waa!

Ninth? Waa!

We have a recording of quiet cello music that put my other kids to sleep within minutes. Boring. Waa!

Come on, kiddo, the fifth can't be good for your ears, and how many times can you listen to the same piece anyway. Let's try Mozart; I hear it's good for the brain. Yeah right. Waa!

Fifth? You'd think he was also docile.

Since he isn't allowed on the computer, I took the quiz for him. I had to guess some answers, but definitely beer, not champaign; he's pretty self centered, so I imagine he'd talk about himself on a date; and if I'm being honest, he can be pretty impulsive.

Result: Beethoven's Fifth. At least he's consistent.

Oct. 31 2016 06:05 PM
Ralph Gifford from New Jersey

I used to brew beer (going to do so again). I would stuff the CD player with Schubert (Trout Quintet) and Beethoven (6th and 9th symphonys) and Mozart (a symphony or Anne Sophie Mutter playing one of the Violin concertos)) and Brahms (one of the piano concertos) etc. The last disk was always the Beethoven 9th symphony. I would be pouring the beer into the fermenter with the yeast during the "Ode To Joy" ;-) ;-).
WQXR Yes! (Sustaining member for the last several years and will remain so.)

Oct. 25 2016 02:31 PM
Ralph Gifford from New Jersey

#6 Yep OK, it is one of my favorite pieces. However I love them all. My most favorite Beethoven symphonies are #3, #5, #6 and #9. As to WQXR, I am a sustaining member and shall remain so until I am no longer around. Love the station.

Oct. 25 2016 08:45 AM
Carol from NYC

Ahaaa.....the 5th. Yep! Few words and lots of action!

Oct. 24 2016 03:18 PM
Richard Pairaudeau from Madrid

Sixth!! OK, I like it, but listening preference for 3, 7 and 8.

Oct. 22 2016 05:35 AM
Nick from Tampa

Pretty dumb quiz. At least entertaining. Actually, the 7th is NOT my favorite.

Oct. 21 2016 02:15 PM
Steel Drivin' Man from Hackensack, ya know, like in the Billy Joel song.

The FIFTH! Yeah! Especially in these "interesting" times... Glad I'm not the 9th - usurped as the "globalist theme".

Oct. 21 2016 09:57 AM
M Mendelson from Pregny, Switzerland

The third... Groundbreaking, game changing.. OK - I suppose that's where any scientist would want to be since our work in life is to go new, unexplored places. Wonderful WQXR - now 75 years a listener.

Oct. 21 2016 02:37 AM
Rosanna from NYC

Symphony #5, well, o.k. (An MD once told adult me that I walk around with ills that would floor most people.) But I'm actually more like the piano part of Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto ...

Oct. 20 2016 09:02 PM
Barbara Hannah Grufferman from New York City

I'm Beethoven's 5th! And I'm tickled pink about it because it just happens to be my favorite!! But then again, choosing a #1 most beloved Beethoven symphony is . . . impossible. I love them all.
And I LOVE WQXR!!! Thank you for bringing joy to the world every single day, WQXR!
#ISupportWQXR as a Sustaining Member.

Oct. 20 2016 02:52 PM
Terrell from Long Island City, NY

Wow! I'm the 2nd Symphony! Jan Swafford's Beethoven bio is sitting at my right elbow and I'm listening to the Ninth, my favorite work of all. I was hoping I'd be the Ninth but at least I'm compatible with a Ninth personality!

Oct. 20 2016 01:46 PM
David from Marlboro, NJ

So I am the 7th which is always in the top 10 of the classical countdown. I can see that and will wear my moniker with pride.

Oct. 20 2016 01:43 PM
Belle

The Fifth (a most magnificent piece of music and my first pick), the Seventh, the First. Actually, I like all except for the Ninth (go figure).

Oct. 20 2016 01:34 PM
VGoodstone from Davidson, North Carolina

The Third would have been my fourth pick! I'm the Seventh, with a little of the idyllic Sixth thrown in...Got a feeling someone born after the start of The Hungarian Revolution formatted this quiz!

Oct. 20 2016 01:13 PM
Lou Gerbino from Silver City, Iowa

Ha,ha! So I'm #2! That's fine with me, but a little surprising. I would have thought #6, but it's an honour to make the list at all. Thanks much for this little exercise!

Oct. 20 2016 12:45 PM
Nancy from Briarcliff Manor

I have't taken the quiz yet but I have thought about the question. I am the 3rd aspiring to be the 6th.

Oct. 20 2016 12:01 PM
James from London

Symphony No. 2, to my surprise... :D

Oct. 20 2016 10:08 AM
Suzanne from New York

Especially in the times we live in, when things look so dark so often, Beethoven is THE MAN!

Oct. 19 2016 11:26 AM
Karen Langro from NY

Took the quiz and I'm Symphony $7! Great! But my reaction would be the same for all of them. Hey it's Beethoven, enough said.

Oct. 19 2016 10:46 AM