Quiz: Which Classical Music Era Are You?

Thursday, August 04, 2016

A sheet of music. Are you a romantic? Do you like to keep it classical? Or do you always go for baroque? (Tune_Driver/Flickr)

Take our quiz to find out which era suits you best.

If you're curious to learn more about the chronology of music through the ages, when you make a contribution to WQXR of just $12.50 a month by 7 pm on Monday, Feb. 27, 2017, we’ll send you The History of Classical Music, a 24-CD set that presents the greatest works from every era: from Medieval to Minimalism. This offer won’t be available long. Click here to claim yours today.

Quiz by Rosamund Berdann, Michael Rosin and Justin Sergi.

Produced by:

Kim Nowacki

Elizabeth from Durant, Oklahoma

I got Romantic, which is definitely my favorite, especially the later Romantics and neo-Romantic composers like Rachmaninoff and Elgar.

Feb. 28 2017 03:46 AM
Shirley G from New York/NC

Indeed, one of the very silliest quizzes I have taken - I adore Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and some 20th century composers (i.e. Faure, Debussy, Poulenc, Chaminade, et alia. This quiz does not compute, it's not accurate. I'm a classical pianist and revere great compositions from several "eras" of music. Ludicrous to pidgeon-hole a "true" musician. What I don't care for is "minimalism, a.k.a P. Glass (boring), and atonal music - if I can't hum/sing some semblance of a melody after hearing it, then fuggeddaboudit!

Feb. 27 2017 10:50 PM
Sig Rosen from Washington Heights

When you consider how people are moved by Renaissance Architecture, Art, -and the conflicts of History, understanding the human, intricate but accessible music of it's creators is itself an honor. The fact that one can join a chorus to re-create same is amazing!

n.b. -I appreciate all forms of attempt to create beauty in all eras and conversely to express anger and fear to awaken conscience. Art/Music is MORE than 'dessert'.

Nov. 27 2016 10:46 AM
Jenny from MA

Renaissance? But I'm a Q2 addict!

Oct. 22 2016 08:38 AM
mathew from Londn

http://google.com is the best place

Oct. 19 2016 02:58 AM
Sanketh from Michigan

I like handel. But I recently listened to something new on music paradise pro app which is available for android to download or listen to music directly. I liked it too. You can find new music on http://musicpardiseproapkapp.com

Oct. 19 2016 02:56 AM
Tom B. from Brooklyn, NY

Classical - true, but I like and listen to so many of the other categories.

Sep. 21 2016 01:17 AM
DannyK

Renaissance.....exactly perfect!

Aug. 22 2016 10:01 PM
DBF from NJ

20th Century - pretty right on. Copeland is my fav

Aug. 19 2016 01:16 PM
jerry

Souza. Military marches with trumpets, horns, clarinets, trombones, flutes, tubas.
Not violins, violas, cellos playing dinner music for people who are not very hungry.

Aug. 17 2016 11:31 AM
AmyANSKY from NYC

Yup, Baroque, got me right !

Aug. 16 2016 03:47 PM
Norman E Spaulding from San Josel CA

Gad! definitely don't like Renaissancv!Oh well.

Aug. 16 2016 03:46 PM
EBK from Sacramento

Me, Medieval? Hardly, but a nice try. My fav's are from Italy, (Opera) and Czech.(Tone poems & symphony). Keep up the ok work.

Aug. 15 2016 12:54 AM
David from Flushing

I love Handel, but hate Bach, so where does that put me?

Aug. 14 2016 05:22 PM
Rob Palmer from Bangor Maine USA

Great illustration! How did you know I love 17th century Dutch painters, such as Aelbert Cuyp? I never get tired of Cuyp. Dutch ancestry must help with this.

Aug. 13 2016 11:03 AM
Tzadik from Greenwich

One of the silliest quizzes yet. I love ancient court music of the Far East, music from the Medieval era and every period right up to contemporary composition. Like most people I have interests of all kinds, and none of them can effortlessly 'define me' - my passion for music would come the closest if I bothered to look at it this way.

Aug. 13 2016 09:49 AM
cc from Palm Beach

Waiting for result!

Aug. 09 2016 10:01 AM
OwlSinger from Hopewell Junction, NY

Never would have thought you'd provide Medieval as an era, but...you got it! My favorite reading is anything set back then, and - as my email address might attest - Hildegarde is my musical Patron Saint.

Aug. 06 2016 11:42 AM
Sherry

Ready for my answer!

Aug. 04 2016 10:56 PM
Susan from Jerusalem

You probably say that everybody is Romantic. Sounds safe, doesn't it? Fools.

Aug. 04 2016 06:06 PM
Maryann Gerety from FAIRLESS HILLS, PA.

This Quiz failed to finish and give me results.

I know my type: ROMANTIC as in BRAHMS; CHOPIN; SCHUMANN; MAHLER

always have connection problems with you!!

Is it because I am using FIREFOX 47 ON LINUX UBUNTU?????????????

Aug. 04 2016 03:50 PM

Was waaaaaaaay wrong about me: Renaissance. Really? NOT! I'm Romantic period or 20th century modern. Please, no viol da gambas for me. Burn them for kindling (just kidding!)

Aug. 04 2016 01:21 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Carol: Hope you are well. Glad they got you right.
Got me very wrong. It was fun seeing how all the "experts" figure out what categories to place us in.
Best wishes

Aug. 04 2016 12:48 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Hi Concetta!
The quiz got me right - the Romantic Era is my favorite and that's where it put me.
However, I'm guessing that we won't be hearing anything from my favorite composer, Bruckner, during this "special day of programming" (one-day pledge drive), but at least so far I see they are playing symphonies in their entirety. That's better than their usual fare.

Aug. 04 2016 11:42 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Not true. I am not baroque. Music I Like or love very much is Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, My beloved Bellini, Verdi, Puccini, Rossini,
Not too crazy for is Bach. What you broadcast this morning sounded like they had stomach trouble. I read the newspaper a lot and love history novels, especially the Romans, warts and all.

Aug. 04 2016 09:55 AM
Tim from Philadelphia

Wow. This was frighteningly accurate.

Aug. 04 2016 08:50 AM
M. J.

No, medieval music is far from my favorite.

Aug. 04 2016 06:40 AM