Quiz: Which Famous Concerto Are You?

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Alisa Weilerstein joins the orchestra as the soloist in Elgar's Cello Concerto. Alisa Weilerstein and the Orchestra of St. Luke's play Elgar's Cello Concerto. (Kim Nowacki/WQXR)

It's easy to recall the sound of an orchestra, or the sound of a solo instrument, but what happens when you combine these into one piece of music? You get a concerto. This allows the composer to include personal virtuosity with orchestral magnitude.

Among the exclusive elements of the concerto, two always seem to rise to the top of discussion: Which instrument the composer will chose as the solo, and how to handle the relationship between the soloist and the orchestra. Sometimes they get along, other times they do not. Take our quiz to find out which of six most famous concertos fits you best.

Carol from NYC

Well, surprise. Bach Concerto for two Violins......and just as it's playing on WQXR. I would have thought Beethoven's 5th Piano concerto....but I can see the Bach in me!

Nov. 28 2016 11:51 AM
Barry Owen Furrer from Lake Monticello, VA

@ Michael Rosin~
Your old elementary band teacher is so very proud of this and all your musical accomplishments! Like myself, WQXR no doubt recognizes your wonderful potential and gifts to share. This truly is the cherry on top of my Thanksgiving weekend!
Best wishes and continued success, Mr. Rosin!

Nov. 27 2016 09:46 PM
Barbara from New York

Interesting that Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto came up since my favorite is Rachmaninoffs. However, I love Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D

Nov. 24 2016 01:24 PM
phrygian from modes

I ain't no concerto, I'm a human bean! ☕

Nov. 22 2016 03:55 AM
Lauren Tucker from New Hempstead, NY

This quiz was so much fun, the choices challenging but not frustrating. The outcome for me, the Bach Double Violin Concerto was a laugh-out-loud surprise moment, as this is one of my absolutely favorite pieces. I know this concerto thoroughly and never tire of hearing new and innovating interpretations of it. Thanks, again for your innovation with outreach from the station.

Nov. 19 2016 10:39 PM
Trevor Noel from Massapequa

Thank you, Michael Rosin, for this fun quiz. I came out Beethoven's Emperor, which I do like and especially did like when I was younger (in college, specifically). Now, 45 years later, I think I prefer Ravel's Concerto in G. Go figure!

Nov. 19 2016 08:21 PM
Haifisch from NYC

I also took the quiz twice and ended up both times with the Bach Double Violin Concerto (which I don't ever remember hearing). My personal favorite concerto is any concerto by Brahms.

Cheers

Nov. 17 2016 06:01 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Hi Concetta!

Nov. 17 2016 03:14 PM
gabriel carbone from Staten Island,N.Y.

although your picks are among my favorites they don't include my vey best favorites to wit all of: Beethovens', Grieg ,Tchaikovsky's piano #1,violin,CHOPIN #1 PIANO.

Nov. 17 2016 01:51 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Took it twice. The first time, it was Tchaikosky(?). Second time, the answer was Mozart. Same answers. However, for the sport question, I do not participate in sports. But the sport I love the most is Formula 1 Racing. Vroom, Vroom.
Hi Carol.

Nov. 17 2016 01:45 PM

Curious about the other concerti I am not.
I've taken the quiz twice and both times ended up the Mozart Clarinet concerto. I do love the piece but if I had to name a concerto it would probably be the Haydn Trumpet concerto.

Nov. 17 2016 01:05 PM
M.D. Therese from Northern NJ

I'm a Bach double violin concerto. For me, any Bach will do. How about that.

Nov. 17 2016 07:32 AM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

I also am the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, which is strange, since I really don't care much for Mozart.
The explanation underneath says that I have a friend in the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto, which is closer to the truth, since that is my favorite piano concerto.
How do they come up with these questions?

Nov. 16 2016 09:04 PM
Lisa Rags from Minneapolis, MN

Although I am flattered to be the Mozart Clarinet concerto, my two favorite concertos are Prokofiev's 1st Piano concerto and Shostakovich's 2nd Cello concerto. Funny thing is my life almost resembles the latter.

Nov. 16 2016 11:28 AM
Socrates35 from Caribbean

Apparently I'm the Mozart Clarinet concerto! Nice to know I'm connected somehow with such a sublime masterpiece, however spurious and arbitrary the calculating algorithms used!

Nov. 15 2016 10:18 PM