Quiz: Which Spring-Themed Classical Music Piece Are You?

Monday, March 20, 2017

Crocuses in Central Park. Crocuses in Central Park. (Kim Nowacki/WQXR)

After a blustery storm and on-and-off cold weather, we haven’t quite been able to enjoy that extra hour of sunlight just yet. Whether it feels like it or not, Monday marks the first day of spring, so let's get a jump start on sharing the music inspired by this time of year.

Spring has always been the poet’s season — the tender buds and greenery have historically tickled the muse (and our noses). And spring has also been a source of inspiration for composers, too. The whole season is portrayed in pieces like "The Rite of Spring" and the Spring Sonata, and also its smaller elements, such as the flowers in Delibes's "Flower Duet" or the pastoral fields of Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Flos Campi."

Take our quiz to see which spring piece fits you best.

Monica from Minneapolis MN

This was fun! Astor Piazzolla's Spring! Django came to mind when I watched Piazzolla play this piece.
Took the quiz again and got Stravinsky's Rite of Spring...hmmm while not a fan I did identify with the qualities that were imparted by the piece. Duality is the way of my world and I found both pieces quite satisfying!
Thanks QXR for lightening the load of the day, if only for this brief interlude.

Mar. 25 2017 04:56 PM
Eugene B. Kordahl from Sacramento, CA

What a nice way to find out more about myself. And Williams's Flos Campi, though at this moment unfamiliar to me, will be a delightful way of measuring my musical growth over the past 81 years. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Mar. 24 2017 12:56 AM
Robert from New Rochelle, NY

Thanks WQXR – the result of this quiz captured me perfectly – all Vaughn Williams…

Mar. 23 2017 03:00 PM
Robert from Wesley Hills, NY

Sorry, I'm more Vivaldi and NOT very Piazzolla. Still, an interesting exercise. I'm curious to know how these answers are evaluated. Rather than a kind of psychological profile, it seems more like a magic eight-ball.

Mar. 23 2017 01:26 PM
Belle from NYC

tango, well no, not really but...wth.

Mar. 23 2017 01:01 PM
Suzanne from Jerusalem, Israel

Beethoven's fifth violin sonata, "Spring". Right on target.

Mar. 22 2017 01:54 PM
Christopher St. Clair from Brooklyn

My result is a surprise (Ralph Vaughan Williams’s Flos Campi), but a delightful one. What is more, it makes me wonder just how true it may be, and how false my self image may be. What could be more pleasant than discovery - of the world of of oneself - through unexpected music? Old "Reif" it is then.

Mar. 21 2017 10:46 AM
Vicky Cosgrove from Little Neck, NY

O no they got it ALL WRONG...I got Stravinsky Rite of Spring and I do NOT like his music!! I am a Baroque fiend and love Classical. So much for quizzes. I will go play my Baroque music now!!

Mar. 21 2017 09:23 AM
Charles

Astor Piazzolla’s Spring, a very cool way to start a hot spring.

Mar. 20 2017 08:37 PM