Quiz: Which Type of Classical Music Piece Are You?

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

sheet music on music stand (barthanlon/flickr)

From expansive operas or symphonies, to the creative and confident sonata or the organized suite, take our quiz to find out which type of classical music piece you are.

John J. Christiano from Franklin NJ

sousafan...maybe you can answer this for me. A listener for more than two decades, I can count on one hand how many Sousa pieces I've heard on WQXR....and three of them were in this past week. What don't they like about Sousa?

Nov. 12 2016 03:57 PM
Helene from Valley Stream, NY

It's not about what music you LIKE, but the FORM you most resemble. I'm a great organizer; hence, my form is a symphony. It worked for me! LOL

Nov. 12 2016 01:21 PM
PhilB from New York City

Surprising and unexpected for me, my quiz result said I am an oratorio, a form I hardly ever listen to. While I like all genres of classical music, symphonies are by far my favorite. The creators of this quiz need to explain how they derive their answers.

Nov. 06 2016 06:12 PM

Interesting result - concerto. Even more interesting to me is the image used for concerto - one of our top military bands in performance with a trumpet soloist standing out in front and if I'm not mistaken, is Vince DiMartino!
"Thank You" to all our veterans past and present for your service to our country! Happy birthday John Philip Sousa on Nov. 6th!

Nov. 04 2016 11:04 PM
Lisa Ragsdale from Minneapolis, MN

1st time--I got "Opera." How could that be? At the most I have heard 4 or 5 operas my entire life--No Way!
Retake: 2nd time-- This time "Sonata:" That's a lot closer to where I'm really formerly from.

Nov. 03 2016 04:45 PM
HYH from Long Island

Fun quiz and nice 5 minute break in the day. I was surprised by my result (Oratorio) as it really depends on the day which is my favorite classical music genre (symphonic, piano, choral, chamber, opera, etc.) but the description that accompanied the result actually made some sense.
All in good fun folks.

Nov. 03 2016 03:13 PM
Ralph Cavaliere from No. Massapequa

I took the test 3 times because I felt I needed more than one to judge myself. Although not all applied to me, such as the cooking session, I went along with it, coming close to what I would do if I were to be involved. As for card games, Solitaire was left out as was a popular Italian game called, "Briscola", ("Trump"),(the translation), and "7 1/2", a form of "21",(Blackjack.) As it turned out, I was symphonic on the first 2 and a "Sonatist" in the third. I happen to like both. And let's not quibble, the test was meant to be fun...And I think there is some truth to it. Maybe deep down, for those of us who don't agree with the findings, try a taste of that unknown quantity with which you were identified and mayhap, it may be enjoyable fare.

Nov. 03 2016 01:18 PM
Maria from Dover, NJ

I love it - I'm an oratorio.
I think it is amazing how that questionnaire accurately describes my favorite genre! Thanks - it made my day!

Nov. 03 2016 11:44 AM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Wrong, wrong, wrong! This quiz says I am a suite, when my favorite type of classical music is the symphony (especially Bruckner). I agree with previous comments that these questions are not applicable. I know that these quizzes are just for fun, but couldn't they at least come up with better questions? None of them are even related to music.
Hi Concetta!

Nov. 02 2016 04:07 PM
Nick from Tampa

A quiz that is not really reliable. It says I like suites. Actually I prefer opera. Can't we come up sometime that is more important then a dumb quiz!

Nov. 01 2016 02:14 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Why does QXR insist on these nonsense quizzes.
Nothing else to write about?

Nov. 01 2016 01:22 PM

As someone else above said, I found the answers to be non-applicable. I clicked through this randomly after being confronted with several questions whose answers didn't apply. The first answer I got was that I am an oratorio. As I am quite taciturn by nature, that result was hilariously wrong since no one who knows me would think of me and a long drawn-out piece of windbag music such as that. The next answer I got after a new random selection was that I am a symphony which is as non-descript as one can imagine. After all, that doesn't say which kind of symphony, i.e., Mozart, Mahler, Shostakovich or Messiaen?

Nov. 01 2016 12:55 PM
Christopher St. Clair from Brooklyn

I very much wanted to find out which type of music I might be, but could not do the quiz because many of the questions/responses do not apply to me. I clicked at random just to advance and see what the questions were, but had to admit defeat. I don't know how to play a single card game, I am not likely to cook anything or celebrate anything, and so on. In other words, I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't socialize. However, in my mind that equates with many pieces of music. Frankly, I was hoping for something between Wagner and Mahler, with a tad of Puccini thrown in when in self-pitying mode. This quiz gives me the uneasy feeling that it's leading toward cuddly works that "put a smile on one's face." Oh, horror!

Nov. 01 2016 11:22 AM