Quiz: Which Wintry Music Piece Are You?

Thursday, January 19, 2017

A snowflake. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. (maf04/Flickr)

Take our quiz to find out which winter-themed piece you should have cued up to play when a major snow storm hits.

Produced by:

Kim Nowacki

Richard Pairaudeau from Madrid

I drew Sibelius, which seemed quite accurate. I love the first and second symphonies, the shorter works...the violin concerto for me is one of the finest in a competitive field. I would have been equally able to identify with Schubert of Tchaikovsky, however. What about Benjamin Britten as a winter composer? 'Peter Grimes', 'Owen Wingrave', 'The Turn of the Screw' all present an icy challenge!

Jan. 22 2017 05:51 AM
ANAT KEIDAR from New York

I HATE winter and everything that goes with it. I hate snow, rain, wind, cold weather, Christmas, etc... I hate snowscapes, winter sports, and heavy clothes. I wish it were summer all year. Got the Thompson. ??? Would have preferred a Bach, Brahms or Handel but Oh well... I don't quite understand what my FORCED responses (because all the winter stuff should have permitted an option of "none of the above" or N/A) had to do with the piece that "characterizes" me. Please enlighten us. Lets hope and pray for a quick end for this miserable winter.

Jan. 21 2017 07:17 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Ellen: Who could ever forget Jussi and Bidu?
There was a Swedish detective series called Wallander and he called his dog Jussi. His daughter could not understand why he always listened to Jussi. Hell, I am not Swedish and grew up listening to the Golden Swede.
Best wishes

Jan. 20 2017 01:17 PM
Ellen L Lienhard from West Chester, PA

Hi, Concetta, I got Sibelius as well, and I do love his music; less Finlandia, more Leminkeinen or Swan of Tuonela, Second Symphony is my favorite, not the Sixth. Have to agree about Thomas Kincaid too.

I'll be listening to Romeo et Juliette tomorrow but hearing Jussi and Bidu in my mind.

Jan. 20 2017 08:20 AM
Peter V from Rosendale, NY

Sibelius came forth for me - crisp and smooth: perfect for the winter - but my favorite is his Swan of Tuonela which should be played more often, instead of the perpetually performed Finlandia!

Jan. 20 2017 01:36 AM
James from Sleepy Hollow, NY

This Winter I find myself humming passages of "Winter Dreams" and sure 'nuff, that's what the quiz selected for me.

Jan. 19 2017 05:21 PM
Floria from nyc

Schubert's Wintereise.......not bad! Brrrrr.

Jan. 19 2017 02:28 PM
Lynn Dion from New York, NY

The Vaughan Williams, twice in four retakes. Could it be the orange zest in my hot chocolate? Or Beowulf in the middle of all that Greek stuff? Have not heard it in years -- why not go listen to it now . . .

Jan. 19 2017 01:48 PM
Bob

Tchaikovsky is indeed one of my top favorites but his First symphony
Is not one of the best. I love the 5th and 4th tremendously.
I've played trombone in them and know first hand how glorious they were.

Jan. 19 2017 01:28 PM
susan l paul from India

Thanks!!! Have been in love with Chopin for 6 decades...and..I am "Chopin's Winter Wind! A perfect fit. Wish I could hear it right now.

Jan. 19 2017 01:23 PM
Caesar J. Warrick from Playland Board Walk, Rye N Y

Winter is Ok but it keeps me from drinking cold Beer on ice and playing old country music on my Gibson Guitar. All done on Summer night's on my back porch.I love Mozart but I can "Handel" Hank Williams like a pro,,Have a great day,,CJW

Jan. 19 2017 12:58 PM
Linda Eckard from NY, NY

Tchaikovsky for me - seems appropriate, love his music

Jan. 19 2017 12:55 PM
Margot Etes from NJ

Best part of super bowl is watching the game! With or without food/family....

Jan. 19 2017 12:44 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Hi Carol,
I really like Sibelius' music.
Best wishes

Jan. 19 2017 11:06 AM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Hi Concetta,
They picked Sibelius for me also! I am not a winter person, but I like his music, particularly his Second and Fifth Symphonies and his Violin Concerto.

Jan. 19 2017 10:23 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Quiz picked the right one for me, Sibelius.
I hate Thomas Kincaid's paintings. Skillful but real kitsch.

Jan. 19 2017 06:41 AM