Rossini's La Donna Del Lago

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Joyce DiDonato as Elena and Juan Diego Flórez as Giacomo V in Rossini's "La Donna del Lago." (Ken Howard/ Metropolitan Opera)

Tune in Saturday at 1 pm to hear the Metropolitan Opera’s first-ever production of La Donna del Lago, Rossini's opera set in 16th century Scotland, where the Highland Clans have risen up, "Braveheart"-style, against King James V.

The cast is led by mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato in the title role of Elena, the "Lady of the Lake," and tenor Juan Diego Flórez as King James V, who falls in love with her. Mezzo-soprano Daniela Barcellona sings the role of Elena's beloved Malcolm, and tenor John Osborn is the King's sworn enemy, the highland chief Rodrigo, to whom Elena is betrothed.

Based on Sir Walter Scott’s poem "The Lady of the Lake," the opera arrives in a co-production with the Santa Fe Opera, where it was staged last summer.

Cast:
Elena: Joyce DiDonato
Malcolm Groeme: Daniela Barcellona
Giacomo V: Juan Diego Flórez
Rodrigo di Dhu: John Osborn
Duglas d'Angus: Oren Gradus
Conductor: Michele Mariotti

Leslie Kane, NY, NY from United States

Had the pleasure of enjoying this Live in HD (and the Kips Bay theater was packed!). The principals were all superb.

Mar. 15 2015 09:10 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau

@CastaDiva: I remarked very nice because I was cooking and this is a
sacred duty for me which requires my attention. I thoroughly enjoyed
this opera and it is a work that does not deserve to be neglected
as it is. Carmen and Traviata could be retired for a few years.
Best wishes

Mar. 15 2015 07:12 AM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

I'm surprised at the mild tone of the comments here. This was a magnificent performance of a difficult to cast bel canto opera, and all the principals were wonderful. Yes, Florez was on fire, but diDonato was superb, and the mezzo Barcellona and the other tenor, Osborn, the baritenor, were excellent, too. The music is ravishingly beautiful, certainly more than "very nice". I was at the first performance and listened to the broadcast today. We are fortunate indeed that the Met finally mounted this opera, and with such an outstanding cast.

Mar. 14 2015 10:32 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Nice change of pace from Carmen and the Heart of Gold Traviata.
Fine singing and the orchestral music is very nice. Enjoying this whilst tending to my chores.
Is Ms.Margaret still ill? Hope she is OK.

Mar. 14 2015 03:12 PM
Marilyn McLean from Florida

I remember my father listening to the Metropolitan opera broadcasts every single Saturday. He could not afford to go to the opera house, but loved the music.
I am now in my 80's, living in Florida and still enjoying the broadcasts.

Thank you WQXR.....my mornings and evening were filled with your music

Director, www.bachwithabeat.com