Select Your Favorite Musical Selfie

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

This week’s Showdown is a nod to three musical works understood to be biographical reflections of their creators — musical selfies, if you will. We asked you to cast your vote for which of these smartphone-free self portraits you wanted to hear.

You chose Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4 in F Minor, Op. 36 and at noon we place the piece performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Daniele Gatti.

I chose Tchaikovsky only because I hadn't heard this recording and wanted to find out what it sounded like. The others I know and while all of them are OK, the Fourth Symphony got my vote for the aforementioned reason.

Oct. 16 2013 11:49 AM
David Gravitz from Westchester, NY

I don't like to listen to Wagner...ever. Between the Tchaikovsky and the Strauss, I chose the Tchaikovsky because it moves me more.

Oct. 16 2013 11:48 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I chose the Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony because that was the piece that began my love of classical music. Tchaikovsky is my second favorite composer (Bruckner is my absolute favorite!), and I always enjoy hearing his music.
Hello Concetta - I guess we didn't agree this time! Best wishes!

Oct. 16 2013 11:09 AM

Ed from Kissimmee: I chose the Strauss because it's the one I'm least familiar with. Although I've heard it before, I don't own a recording and live in a place where classical music is considered "too high brow." God Bless the south (Kidding!)

Oct. 16 2013 10:32 AM
Muki D from BK

Wagner was out immediately. I think everything he ever wrote was a "selfie." That's strictly bias-fueled, I know. But that being what it is, my favorite would be the Strauss piece.

Oct. 16 2013 09:46 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Thbis is a tough choice for me between the Wagner and the Strauss. Chose the Wagner despite it being conducted by Von Karajan. Slow, slower, slowest.

Oct. 16 2013 07:38 AM