The Uplifting Music of James Horner

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Composer James Horner created emotionally-charged, exciting, melodically-memorable music for films such as "Titanic," "Avatar," "Apollo 13," and many other movies. Despite the great popularity and effectiveness of his film scores, Horner had recently announced his intention to concentrate on composing for the concert hall.

Sadly, 61 year-old James HornerĀ died when the small airplane he was piloting crashed on June 22. David Garland presents an hour of Horner's music from the above films as well as others, including "Willow" and "Gorky Park," which show the direct influence of classical composers Schumann and Tchaikovsky.

Vernon Anderson from Queens, New York

I was stunned and saddened to learn of James Horner's death. From the time I first saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and feeling the emotion of the score, I took note of his name. In hearing his other works, I was not disappointed, and over the decades consider him one of the best film score composers. In many of his music I've listened to, I was filled with joy to the point of getting teary-eyed. I have, and will always be a loyal fan. I thank him for helping me watch and enjoy movies so much more. I look forward to experiencing his other scores and music. James Horner, Rest In Peace.

Jun. 28 2015 03:46 PM
12-String Frank from Staten Island

You hear "Freedom" from Braveheart, and you have to just cry .... very sad. R.I.P. James Horner.

This is a sad one --- R.I.P. -- James Horner, film composer. I have so many of his amazing film soundtracks --- Titanic, Braveheart, Willow, Cocoon, A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, Star Trek: Search for Spock, Avatar, Glory, Field of Dreams, Bicentennial Man, The Perfect Storm, Enemy at the Gates, Legends of the Fall, Patriot Games, Aliens, Troy, etc. Wonderful music.

James Horner is part of a brotherhood of great film composers that includes John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore, James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Michael Kamen, Thomas Newman, and Danny Elfman.

Jun. 28 2015 03:35 PM
Frank Griffin from New York, NY

Thank you Mr. Garland for the excellent tribute to James Horner. I have enjoyed his film scorces through the years during the highs and lows of my life.
This artists is an example of why some tributes should be longer than an hour.
Perhaps a Part II covering his music from his other films?

Jun. 27 2015 10:09 PM

Mr. Garland thank you for this tribute to Mr. Horner, I was listening to his Star Trek II score last night and if you could play either Battle of Mutara Nebula or Surprise Attack, or both, tonight I'd be grateful. I don't know or care if he stole these from anyone but they're absolutely BRILLIANT film scoring. His Krull, Legends of the Fall, Braveheart and The Name of the Rose are also superb soundtracks. RIP James Horner

Jun. 27 2015 02:03 PM
Richard from Lynn MA

A very shy man and a somewhat complicated story was his path to success in Hollywood. He occasionally had harsh words for other's work, it was never clear if he actually got his PhD, and he had a weird strand of kleptomania in his work. But the overwhelming amount of really wonderful work trumps all. He was one of the last with the classical chops in his background so there was always a handmade quality to all his work. To pass away at 61 leaves music lovers at a loss not to mention the pain of Those who knew him .

Let's celebrate all the great scores from the better known like Braveheart, Avatar, and Titanic to the smaller gems like Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Iris, Sneakers, and his recent Double Concerto. There really is so much good music, He will be missed!

Jun. 26 2015 07:06 PM
GCL from Astoria NY

Besides those, he also did the music for "Aliens" the middle of that series, (which I saw) and two Star Trek movies, (Both of which I saw). And of course countless others.

Like many others who left before their time, he will be greatly missed and will always be admired.

Jun. 26 2015 12:32 AM