Verdi's 'Macbeth' from the Glimmerglass Festival

Saturday, November 07, 2015

Melody Moore as Lady Macbeth and Eric Owens as Macbeth in The Glimmerglass Festival's 2015 production of "Macbeth." (Karli Cadel/The Glimmerglass Festival)

Listen on-demand to Verdi’s "Macbeth," the first of three broadcasts from the 2015 Glimmerglass Festival. Bass-baritone Eric Owens sings the title role, soprano Melody Moore sings Lady Macbeth, and Joseph Colaneri conducts the Glimmerglass Festival Orchestra.

Verdi’s "Macbeth" premiered in 1847, but was later revised in 1865. The Glimmerglass production incorporates elements from both versions. Host Naomi Lewin talks to the cast during the intermission, including conversations with Eric Owens, Melody Moore, conductor Joseph Colaneri, and director Anne Bogart.

Preview the intermission segment:

Cast:

Eric Owens – Macbeth
Melody Moore – Lady Macbeth
Soloman Howard – Banquo
Michael Brandenburg – Macduff
Marco D. Cammarota – Malcom
Nathan Milholin – Servant & Doctor
Mithra Mastropierro – Lady-in-waiting
Derrell Acon – Assassin
Hunter Enoch – Herald
Rhys Lloyd Talbot, Vanessa Becerra, Jasmine Habersham – Apparitions
The Glimmerglass Festival Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Joseph Colaneri

Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Singing was fine. But what is it with all these updates. It has to be Scotland because Verdi wrote music for the bagpipes (cornamusa). As for Rigoletto, I did view the first act when it was telecast and did enjoy it. Thought it was a hoot.

Nov. 09 2015 09:51 AM
Lew from Philly

Thanks for putting the "Macbeth" ON DEMAND, so I can listen at leisure and multiple times.
The casting of all principals was luxurious, including the Herald, Malcolm, Physician, and most especially, Lady M's Dama, Mithra Mastropierro. It's not often that we hear a Dama with a Lady M voice, matching Lady M in power and brilliance, but Ms. Mastropierro absolutely owns it on both accounts. I look forward to hearing this young soprano in the future in major roles.

Nov. 08 2015 04:49 PM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Maybe in a superficial way the party atmosphere at the the start of "Rigoletto" could mesh with some aspects of Las Vegas "culture". but in the end the idea fails, mostly because the whole power structure only works in a world such as that portrayed in (of all things!) the libretto. Even if mafia dons have a lot of power, they do not have the authority of someone like the Duke, who so thoroughly controls his jester. Even a mobbed-up night-club insult comic could jump ship more easily than poor old Triboulet/Rigoletto. I haven't seen it yet, but I don't buy the idea.

Nov. 08 2015 10:43 AM
CastaDiva from New York, NY

I’m listening to the radio broadcast, so can’t speak about the updating of the opera, just the quality of the singing, which is excellent. I prefer a baritone as Macbeth, but Eric Owen is very good indeed, lightening his voice to the point where it even sounds tenorial at times. And Melody Moore is a revelation; she is a wonderful Lady Macbeth, and her voice sits well for the role. Also enjoyed the intermission chat; didn’t know about Macbeth’s death aria.

Nov. 07 2015 03:13 PM
Ima C from Long Island NY

Updating works..sometimes. I will be seeing Rigoletto in December - a colleague of mine had high praises for the production - her commentary was akin to "if any opera would be staged in 1960's Vegas, Rigoletto is a perfect choice."

Regarding Naomi - I was saddened when she was removed from the weekly afternoon and assigned weekend mornings (although, to be fair, maybe this is something she wanted). However when she was shown the door...and I cannot think of a more polite way to describe her departure, at the very least the station should have said something - anything, thanking her for her work, wishing her well...but they chose to remain silent. It is disrespectful to her and her fans that she just disappears without a word. How do you treat a valued employee in such a manner?

Third act has started - time to get back to listening.

Nov. 07 2015 02:40 PM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Yes, the wonder of updating!! Always so necessary, it seems, to trendy directors, though always done without regard to what the actual words of the libretto say and to the absurdities this brings about for those who know or care about the words.
As to Naomi Lewin, I wonder how the management feels about having to deal with her vocal presence on what I assume is a syndicated program. I noticed that they didn't mention her name for "Classics for Kids" last Saturday. I'm still waiting for a response to my email to the station asking what happened to her. They'll take my contributions but I guess they are not obliged to explain their decisions.

Nov. 07 2015 02:02 PM
Ima C. from Long Island NY

Listening to the opera on Saturday is an absolute must in this household. Hearing the lovely voice of Naomi Lewin? That is icing on the cake. So sorry she is no longer on QXR - her absence has left a huge void.

Nov. 07 2015 01:13 PM
Madison from Manhattan

Let's see. Macbeth is wearing his door man's uniform adorned with what look like US Army combat ribbons and the Mrs. wears 10th century Scotland's most fashionable gown. I assume they changed, "out out brief candle" to "out out small 40 watt incandescent bulb" to help me understand what Shakespeare/Verdi/Piave really meant.

Nov. 07 2015 10:16 AM