Video: IKEA Shoppers Surprised by Beethoven Flash Mob

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Detroit Symphony serenades IKEA shoppers Detroit Symphony serenades IKEA shoppers (YouTube)

Aisles of ready-to-assemble furniture, members of the Detroit Symphony and Beethoven's "Ode to Joy": Care to guess what happens next?

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is the latest ensemble to get in on the flash mob phenomenon. The orchestra's musicians (sans chorus) turned up at an IKEA store in Canton, MI as part of a promotion for its neighborhood concert series. Hat tip: WXYZ-TV.

Hey DuckDeadeye~
I'll take a singing elf @ Christmastime over a Wagnerian romantischer heldentenor everyday of the week!

Feb. 02 2014 02:53 PM

@Helene: I get what you are saying. However, I hate shopping. I want to get in, get out, and be done.

That said, I've also been a performer at Macy*s -- a singing elf at Christmastime. So, I'm happy if people stop to listen, and I understand if they want to just pass right on by.

DD~~

Feb. 01 2014 01:36 AM
Helene Klein from Palm Beach, Fl.

So uplifting but it blows my mind that some people can walk right by without stopping.

Jan. 30 2014 07:22 PM
Banjo from Detroit

Is there a Swedish word for this? Gef├╝ndtor or something Ikea-sounding?

Jan. 30 2014 06:21 PM

@Jim Finder: It's not a flashmob, it's an unannounced free concert.

Bingo! It can still be pleasant, just not my definition of a flashmob.

DD~~

Jan. 27 2014 09:20 PM
Emma from Long Island, NY

I love when stuff like this happens!

Jan. 27 2014 05:45 PM
Jim Finder from WNYC

It's not a flashmob, it's an unannounced free concert.

It's good, but they shouldn't try to claim the risk and edginess of a flashmob.

Jan. 27 2014 04:00 PM
Carole from West Nyack, NY

With all the sad news about Detroit, this was so good to see. I loved it!

People and kids enjoying the beautiful gift of music...

Thanks to those wonderful musicians.

Jan. 27 2014 01:33 PM
Polly from Connecticut

Lovely idea, and nice to see passers-by smiling and pausing.
Considering the polar conditions in MI, bravo for the musicians!

Jan. 27 2014 01:30 PM
Andrew from NYC

@DuckDeadeye - Actually, a flash mob is anything but spontaneous. I think originally they were triggered by someone using social media to get people to appear at some random place at a designated time to participate in a "coordinated action" (e.g., open umbrellas and sing "Singin' in the Rain" at 4:37p in Grand Central Station). The idea has morphed into things like this Detroit Symphony flash mob, where a group of people secretly plan a performance -- often quite elaborate and including props, costumes etc. -- that is a surprise to those not in the know. Either way, it is a lot of fun - especially when things go to plan!

Jan. 27 2014 10:35 AM
Christine from Darien, CT

A perfect way to bring the orchestra to all the people. Fun to see orchestra members looking just like you and me in their casual dress in the middle of IKEA.

Jan. 27 2014 09:03 AM
Marian from Newburgh ny

Awesome! Brought tears to my eyes!

Jan. 27 2014 08:00 AM
Polly from Brooklyn

That wa so awesome. Enjoyed watching the kids lovin the music.

Jan. 27 2014 07:53 AM

I thought a "flash mob" was a spur-of-the-moment type thing. How do chairs and music stands suddenly appear?

DD~~