Video Webcast: Juan Diego Flórez Sings in The Greene Space

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Juan Diego Florez in The Greene Space on May 4, 2014 Juan Diego Florez in The Greene Space on May 4, 2014 (screenshot)

The Peruvian tenor Juan Diego Flórez came to The Greene Space on Sunday, May 4 for his only solo appearance in New York City this season. The event was sold out, but a video webcast took place, which is archived below.

Acclaimed for his performances of the leading bel canto tenor roles of Rossini, Donizetti and Bellini, as well as Verdi, Puccini, Gluck, and Mozart, Flórez is now tackling the French repertoire on "L'Amour," his first solo album in four years. He performed arias from the album, and spoke with host Naomi Lewin.

tony from new haven,ct

what a voice,a voice of pure passion and great feeling..i love his voice and the power of it........he's the greatest..

May. 09 2014 07:58 AM
Michael Leonard Novia from New Canaan, CT

Didn't get to see this live but the video's great. The interviews are a good idea and Naomi is delightful. A lot of work for her to prepare.

An aside: my wife hates classical music, but she liked the experience of the Greene Space, the excitement of being there, of being in NYC, and making herself beautiful for the show. Ok, but she could handle classical music in small doses like this intermixed with intimate interviews and wants to go again. For me this is a wonderful change. It can be the device that will enable us to share.

May. 06 2014 11:07 AM
Eileen from New York

You know, for a man that has never had much formal training as he said - his voice is amazing. When I saw him I expected one of those barrel chests that Pavarotti had - where does all his breath come from. Ah, Les Amis what a wonderful program is was yesterday!!!!

funny as I type this QXR is playing it!!! How funny is that??

May. 05 2014 12:31 PM
Frank from UWS

Oops - "by asking Florez" that should read.

May. 05 2014 07:09 AM
Frank from UWS

@Dead Duck - it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the Met staged the Camarena moment but asking Florez to step aside. He's been less consistent in recent years and the Met knows they have few star tenors waiting in the wings. And let's face it, the Met is scared with ticket sales slowing as they have been. It was shrewd but I don't think Florez is past his prime either. He sounded pretty great here.

May. 05 2014 07:08 AM
Sue Bovan Marchisio from Berkeley Heights NJ

We're still in awe about what we heard today - Juan Diego is absolutely astounding! His conversation and personal insights were moving and wonderful. Thanks to WQXR for presenting such an outstanding program!

May. 04 2014 06:47 PM

<I hope someone asks Florez about the "illness" that Peter Gelb staged ...>
Conspiracy theory? Kerfuffle?

DD~~

May. 04 2014 05:52 PM
Hal Young from Honolulu, Hawaii

Green Room performances are wonderful. Loved the J. D. Florez appearance.

May. 04 2014 04:29 PM
greg from Eugene Oregon

Tuning in from Oregon. Thank you WQXR. I really enjoyed Juan Diego Florez.

May. 04 2014 04:29 PM
Virginia Panaitescu from Bucharest

Thank you, WQXR! Looking forward to tonight's video webcast!

May. 04 2014 09:23 AM
Bernie from UWS

I hope someone asks Florez about the "illness" that Peter Gelb staged in order to get Camarena his big moment. It was so transparent as to be almost laughable, what with the "impromptu" encore. Not that Camarena isn't a promising singer, but let's get real folks - It was pure PT Barnum.

May. 03 2014 06:44 PM
Sonia Spreafichi from Roosevelt Island

I would love to attend this webcast.

May. 01 2014 11:00 PM
Maria Valencia from New Jersey

I would love to go to Juan Diego Flores concert!!! He is a pride for our country "PERU". He is very talented.

May. 01 2014 05:09 PM
Nellie Robinson

I would love to hear him next Sunday.

May. 01 2014 04:06 PM
Graciela from Manhattan

My sister is a good friend of Juan Diego's mother and attended his wedding at Lima's cathedral (first time ever that a wedding was held there). She sent me a picture. I would love to send her a picture of me with Juan Diego.

May. 01 2014 12:29 PM
Michael Leonard Novia from New Canaan, CT

The Greene Space is such a wonderful idea I fear getting tickets for these intimate performances will become increasingly difficult. One has to listen close for the opportunities. I certainly shall. M

May. 01 2014 08:48 AM
Leslie Lowe from NYC

love ya! But I wish Terence McKnight would play compositions by Edmond DeDe.

May. 01 2014 06:04 AM