Wagner's Gotterdammerung from the Royal Opera House

Saturday, November 02, 2013

Nadine Livingston as Woglinde, Kai Rüütel as Wellgunde, Harriet Williams as Flosshilde and Stefan Vinke as Siegfried in Götterdämmerung Nadine Livingston, Kai Rüütel, Harriet Williams and Stefan Vinke in Götterdämmerung (Royal Opera House/Clive Barda)

Our series from the Royal Opera House concludes with the final installment of Wagner’s Ring Cycle: Gotterdammerung.

In this opera, Siegfried has awoken Brünnhilde from a deep sleep and they have fallen in love. Siegfried gives her the magic ring in token of his love, but they are soon caught up in events beyond their control.

This Keith Warner production, which was taped last October, stars Stefan Vinke as Siegfried, Susan Bullock as Brünnhilde and Wolfgang Koch as Alberich.

Cast:

Stefan Vinke, tenor, Siegfried

Susan Bullock, soprano, Brünnhilde

Peter Coleman-Wright, baritone, Gunther

Rachel Willis-Sorensen, soprano, Gutrune

John Tomlinson, bass, Hagen

Wolfgang Koch, baritone, Alberich

Mihoko Fujimura, mezzo-soprano, Waltraute

Maria Radner, contralto, First Norn

Karen Cargill, mezzo-soprano, Second Norn

Elisabeth Meister, soprano, Third Norn

Nadine Livingston, soprano, Woglinde

Kai Rüütel, soprano, Wellgunde

Harriet Williams, mezzo-soprano, Flosshilde

Now that the opera broadcast finished about 15 minutes ago, are we to assume that non-subsidized opera or opera without gimmicks may survive with such paltry talent in the vocal field. The instrumentalists are technically better and better and the maestri are doing the best with what they have to work with.

Nov. 02 2013 05:57 PM

To offer my credentials to my critiques, I suggest to those interested to hear what i real ECHT Wagnerian heldentenor sounds like to go to my website. LAURITZ MELCHIOR was the CARUSO of the Wagnerian heldentenors. None can compare to him vocally. I am a Wagnerian heldentenor and director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute and may be heard at the RECORDED SELECTIONS venue on my website www.WagnerOpera.com in 37 out of the 100 selections that I have sang in four three-hour-long solo concerts in the main hall, the Isaac Stern Auditorium, of CARNEGIE HALL. On last Sunday October 27th at 5 PM, at the NEWLIFE EXPO at the New Yorker Hotel I sang my fourth concert in New York of the series "The 300 Greatest Love Songs of Broadway Musicals, Movies, and The Grammys." The 300 Love Songs on ten DVDs recorded live on the VALHALLA RECORDS label will be obtainable commercially on February 14th, 2014, St. Valentine's Day.

Nov. 02 2013 05:03 PM

My worst expectations were confirmed by this broadcast from last October's Covent Garden production.
Maestro Antonio Pappano and the orchestra and chorus were the only redeeming performers. They were "the first responders" to rescue Goetterdaemmerung from its own "twilight zone." Even the Hagen, John Tomlinson, now missing the heft and once touted vocal timbre now has also developed a wobble. Most troubling is the complete lack of vocal beauty in all the principals. The MET OPERA has also a problem with some of its new members. www.WagnerOpera.com

Nov. 02 2013 04:49 PM

Having heard recordings of the principals listed in today's cast, I am optimistically, although ruefully, hopeful, but seriously doubt their potential in handling the heroic, epic roles they've been assigned. www.WagnerOpera.com; www.RichardWagnerMusicDramaInstitute.com and www.ShakespeareOpera.com

Nov. 02 2013 10:52 AM
concetta nardone

CBC: Some more volcanoes 101. Etna is not as destructive as Vesuvius. My father always said the ground shook a little when it was quiet. He would look at the monster in the morning and thank God that another day went buy. The eruptions of 79AD were mostly ash. Pliny described what was happening and it was thought of as historic license. When Mt. Helens erupted, the vulcanologists said that Pliny was right. These pyroclastic flows are now referred to as Plinean Eruptions. The ground shakes in the naples area. It is a warning to the inhabitants there. YES, he is saying. You may worship the desert god but remember that here on Vesuvius, I rule. Some poetic license on my part. Do not mean to blaspheme.
Best wishes to all

Nov. 02 2013 09:51 AM
concetta nardone

Beduzzo Cavanaugh:
Hope you are well. I am doing better. My mother's town was near Etna and my father's was in the red zone, under Vesuvius in what is now known as Herculaneum. This opera today is too much for my old brain to handle. I really need the score. Will of course stop for Siegfried Rhine Journey and Funeral Music and Immolation. The Rhine Journey sounds like Bellini might have written it. Am I just imagining this? Stay well and thanks for your comforting remarks.

Nov. 02 2013 07:12 AM

CBC I didn't know you were a Vesuvian, my mother's family is from Bronte right next to Etna. What a small world. Now I know where you get your fire.

Nov. 02 2013 12:58 AM

CBC I hope you are well & thriving. I didn't listen last week but I did read the posting of that "buffone". You can well remember that a few years ago we locked horns many times BUT we never resorted to personal attacks. If he ever goes after you, I'll be there for you, even tho you don't need any help.
Gotter, is my favorite opera. As a collector I own 132 complete perf. of this opera, they are from all over the world so I am ready, especially for this "buffone"

Nov. 02 2013 12:55 AM