Wagner's 'Tristan und Isolde' from the Royal Opera House

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Tristan und Isolde at the Royal Opera House (Bill Cooper / ROH 2009)

Isolde gives Tristan a deadly potion that does not serve its purpose and actually binds the two closer together.

Wagner's Tristan und Isolde premiered on June 10, 1865 in Paris. Now, 150 years later, the piece is recognized as a revolutionary turning point in the history of opera.

Join us on Saturday at 1 pm for a performance recorded in December 2014 at the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden. The London cast includes American tenor Stephen Gould as Tristan, Swedish soprano Nina Stemme as the Irish princess Isolde, and British bass John Tomlinson as Marke, King of Cornwall and Isolde’s betrothed.

Audiences will be captured by the romantic tragedy that tells the story of secret and forbidden love. After Isolde is married, the two continue to meet, but when they are discovered, Tristan allows himself to be injured in the ensuing violence. King Marke finally allows Tristan and Isolde to be together, however it’s too late. Isolde holds Tristan in her arms as he takes his last few breaths.

The opera was performed in a contemporary production by Christof Loy with Antonio Pappano conducting.

CAST:

Tristan: Stephen Gould
Isolde: Nina Stemme
Brangane: Sarah Connolly
Kurwenal: Iain Paterson
Marke: John Tomlinson
Conductor: Antonio Pappano

MUSIC: Richard Wagner
LIBRETTO: Richard Wagner
DIRECTOR: Christof Loy

Peter H from Munich

It's nice that I learned from WQXR about this 150 year anniversary.

But please check, as far as I know it premiered in Munich ("Nationaltheater München") after Vienna opera gave up.

It has no ballet so it can't be Paris ;-)

Jun. 15 2015 12:58 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, LaKE Hiawatha,l NJ

STEPHEN GOULD as TRISTAN i8n thew third act really demonstrated his stamina and prowess. Sensational !!!

Jun. 13 2015 05:05 PM

This TRISTAN performance of DECEMBER 2014 conducted by ANTONIO PAPPANO. STEPHEN GOULD'S voice has a tremolo, a wobble, but he has a good vocal timbre, the vocal range and stamina for a Tristan. NINA STEMME is an ideal Isolde. JOHN TOMLINSON, the Marke, sounds rough voiced and his wobble is pronounced. The orchestra under the skilled direction of ANTONIO PAPPANO is exemplary. As with r=the MET OPERA , the orchestra of COVENT GARDEN is outstanding and respected for their excellence. www.WagnerOpera.com

Jun. 13 2015 04:11 PM
Leslie

I’ve been listening.

Thank you.

Jun. 13 2015 02:55 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

There is a film entitled Tristan and Isolde. I liked it but Wagner's music was not used in the film. Another film that should have Wagner's music was The Vikings with Kirk Douglas. When his funeral ship was set ablaze, Siegfried's Funeral Music should have been used. Fine film with cinamatgrophy(?) by Cardiff.

Jun. 13 2015 07:14 AM

One of my voice students asked me why so many of the Wagner singers look like they are size -wise reminiscient of the creatures in JURASSIC PARK. I am a marathon riunner, a mountain climber and a skier and I work out in a gym daily so I am a lean person contrasting with others in my vocal fach avoirpas-wise. Appearance-wise and health -wise it is not wise to be plump, obese or stocky. Vivcally it also is harder to control and manage the breathing apparatus for those overweight. www.WagnerOpera.com

Jun. 10 2015 04:17 PM

It is always a teat to view a new aspect of a masterpiece of the theater. NINA STEMME is a qualified ISOLDE in the vocal, histrionic, musical and appearance categories and Maestro PAPPANO is truly amazing in his overall concept well directed. His recording with DOMINGO of the TRISTAN is valid proof of his authority with regards to TRISTAN. WAGNER's whole life was, like SHAKESPEARE's, a constantly more perceptive and more accomplished in what he meant to convey. Also, VERDI, technically advanced as time and age proceeded to his passing. Geniyses like REMBRANDT MICHAELANGELO and LEONARDO DA VINCI constantly reevaluate and update their oeuvre so that their best work is their last work. . I am a Wagnerian heldentenor. I have performed at CARNEGIE HALL in four solo three hour long concerts in the ISAAC STERN AUDITORIUM there. On my website www.WagnerOpera.com one may download free 37 out of the nearly one hundred selections that I have sung there recorded live and undoctored by going to RECORDED SELECTIONS. I am also the director of the Richard Wagner Music Institute, where vocal technique and preparation exists for coaching all the Wagner opera roles and all the Shakespeare acting roles. My own two operas ['Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare") will be downloadable in two years on my six websites.

J