Which Soprano is Your Favorite Queen of the Night?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Month of Mozart today turns to Mozart’s The Magic Flute, an opera full of Masonic symbolism, such as groups of threes: three long chords open the overture, three flats in its key of E-flat, three ladies, three boys, three trials. For this week's Showdown we’re offering three great Queens of the Night singing one amazing aria.

Tell us which of these classic performances of "Die Holle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" ("The vengeance of Hell boils in my heart") you want to hear and we’ll play the winner today at noon.

Operavore host Naomi Lewin explores The Magic Flute.

"The vengeance of Hell boils in my heart" for reference:

Francisca Sabadie

well, why are the comments almost always negative about QXR's choices? be happy with what you are offered "free" of charge - having said that, i voted for Edita Gruberova because i still have exceptionally fond memories of having heard her at the opera in Vienna with Austrian friends who wanted to introduce us to her because she was little known in the "West" - having said that, i do love Lucia Popp as well and there isn't time for everyone

so thank you WQXR and i am not the only one who thinks you are better than when you were owned by the NYT

Nov. 20 2013 11:59 AM
Lou Gerbino from Easton,CT

If I can't have Roberta Peters or Maria Stader,Popp is my choice.All 3 of these,immortal thanks to recordings & stations like WQXR, make the Queen of the Night sound like She is fighting the most glorious custody battle in history. They consider Zarastro a remote timelord.(I wonder how any of them would have done as Dr.Who's companion.) Thanks for bringing civility into our days,& lives. Lou Gerbino

Nov. 20 2013 11:45 AM
Don from Brookfield CT

How can you leave out Cristina Deutekom!?

Nov. 20 2013 11:34 AM
Bernie from UWS

Florence Foster Jenkins, please.

Nov. 20 2013 10:22 AM
Toni from NYC

I don't understand why they don't have samples of each performance like they said on the radio that they would. And I would like to know who is singing on the one video they do have but I can't find the information anywhere on the website? Does anyone know the mystery soprano is?

Nov. 20 2013 10:20 AM
R

Yes, please play Florence Foster Jenkins!!!!

Nov. 20 2013 10:12 AM
J Carrion from Bushwick, Brooklyn

I think Lucia Popp exemplifies the aural and esthetic qualities of voice that Mozart had in mind for this aria. Her's is the voice it was written for.

Nov. 20 2013 09:59 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

I'll vote for Rita Streich though there's no doubting the excellence of the other two. I've also been a long-time fan of Christina Deutekom as the Queen of the Night.

Nov. 20 2013 09:01 AM
Joshua Gendel from New York City

How could you not have included the Florence Foster Jenkins rendition as one of the choices for favorite
Queen of the Night renditions?

Nov. 20 2013 06:55 AM