WQXR's Holiday Channel

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

WQXR welcomes the holiday season with a 24-hour stream dedicated to classical Christmas favorites. Enjoy the sounds of orchestras, choirs, brass ensembles and more as we celebrate the sacred and secular sounds of the season. Click here to listen.

Please share your comments on what you're hearing in the comments box below.

Here is a sampling of the recordings we're featuring on the Holiday Channel:

The Nutcracker - Berlin Philharmonic - Sir Simon Rattle, conductor

The Cherry Tree - Anonymous 4

Carols & Christmas Songs - Bryn Terfel

A Festival of Carols in Brass - Philadelphia Brass Ensemble

Christmas Tradition - Canadian Brass

Home for the Holidays - Eaken Piano Trio

Noel - La Pieta - Angele Dubeau, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

Sleigh Ride and Other Holiday Favorites - BBC Concert Orchestra, Winds of the BBC Concert Orchestra - Leonard Slatkin, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

What if Mozart Wrote White Christmas - The Northern Lights Orchestra - Petri Juutilainen, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

Joy to the World - New Philharmonia Orchestra - Richard Bonynge, conductor - Joan Sutherland, soprano
Buy from Arkiv Music

The Joy of Christmas with Leonard Bernstein - New York Philharmonic; The Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Leonard Bernstein, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols - Choir of Kings College, Cambridge - Stephen Cleobury, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

Christmas with Thomas Hampson - St. Paul Chamber Orchestra - Hugh Wolff, conductor

Christmas with Chanticleer - Chanticleer - Joseph Jennings, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

Joy to the World - The Philadelphia Orchestra; The Philadelphia Chorus - Eugene Ormandy, conductor

Christmas at Trinity - The Choir of Trinity Church - Owen Burdick, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

The Many Moods of Christmas - Robert Shaw Chorale; RCA Victor Orchestra -Robert Shaw, conductor
Buy from Arkiv Music

Christmas with Marilyn Horne - The Mormon Tabernacle Choir;Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Jerold Ottley, conductor; Marilyn Horne, mezzo-soprano
Buy from Arkiv Music

Carols by Candlelight - Choir of Magdalen College, Oxford - Bill Ives, conductor

Barbara Charles from Philadelphia, PA

Thank you for this wonderful music and an extra thank you for continuing it until the end of December.

Dec. 28 2012 02:28 PM
Martin Boehling from Murrells Inlet, SC

Great Continuous Show! Keep up the good work! I've been a 'QXR listener since 1943, at the age of 5 Years! We had an old 1938 Philco Radio, which my Dad had the local "radioman" 'tweak', so to get 1560 KHZ better! He adjusted the RF trimmers & IF cans for the best sound.

Have a Happy New Year!

Martin Boehling

Dec. 27 2012 05:21 PM
joan friedman

how do i get this channel on the app?

Dec. 03 2012 06:08 PM
Bob Cochran from Portland OR

Thank you very much for such a wonderful program! I listened up to the very end. Rarely have I heard such innovative holiday selections that never seemed to tire my ears during this season like so many others do. I will be watching and listening for your announcements next season for a repeat along with all the rest of us who so enjoyed it.

Jan. 08 2011 09:44 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Thank you so much for this special holiday music channel! I am glad you continued it through January 1, and hope you do this again next Christmas.
Happy New Year to all!

Jan. 01 2011 05:16 PM
Paul from NJ

We much appreciate this streaming. As we celebrate Christmas on January 7 we look for those things that carry into the old calender. BTW the Rockefeller Tree will be on till January 7...we celebrate the twelve days after that.
Merry Christmas to all.

Dec. 31 2010 10:44 AM
Linda McNeill from Wellsboro, PA

This has been a wonderful "gift of the season" to be able to listen to Christmas music through the month. Thank you.

Dec. 29 2010 06:08 PM
pat

Thank you for this Holiday music stream, I love it. However, I'm very disappointed that you seem to be running the same stream of carols over and over. Can't you play more international carols -- there are certainly hundreds more you could choose from.
Also, what happened to "Amen", "Mary's Boy Child" "Little Donkey" "Oh Bambino" and the like?
Please expand your playlist.
Thank you.

Dec. 29 2010 04:05 PM
eleanor from Mahopac, NY

Thank you so much WQXR! I also am grateful you are extending this Holiday music stream past Dec 25th! Would be lovely to have this available for the 12 days of Christmas and the suggested playlist from other listeners is a great idea!

Dec. 29 2010 08:23 AM
liz rees from Greenwich Village

Love this channel but wish you had playlists, as I never know what I'm listening to, outside of the recognizeable tunes--but the artists? The less familiar wonderful pieces?
Great to have this still available Dec. 27.

Dec. 27 2010 05:24 PM
John J Palatucci from Verona, NJ

How nice on the third day of Christmas to tune in to the station and continue savoring the music of the season. Thank you very much.

Playlists? Yes, please.

Dec. 27 2010 04:04 PM
mirella sanseviero from LONG ISLAND NY.

UNA MUSICA NATALIZIA

MOLTO APPROPIATA! GRAZIE !

BUON ANNO A TUTTI A LLA WQXR

Dec. 27 2010 10:42 AM
T A Panzera from Union County, NJ

Thank you so much for continuing to play Christmas season music during Christmastide - it won't be for the 12 days of Christmas but great never the less. I have always been sad when Christmas music ceased on 12/25 itself. And the selections of the various arrangements are great! Please do this again in the future!

Dec. 26 2010 05:21 PM

Playlists, please. I so want to buy some of these wonderful recordings, but i have no way of knowing what they are and am too busy to sit and figure them out.

jim crawford

Dec. 25 2010 05:04 PM
dave burke from manhattan

outstanding merry christmas and thank you

Dec. 25 2010 04:52 PM
Connie from Westchester

The music is wonderful! I would love to have a playlist to accompany what I am listening to.

Dec. 25 2010 11:59 AM
Peggy Hayes

All the sudden, the music won't run on my computer and I was so looking forward to the Christmas music.

Dec. 24 2010 08:42 AM
Diane & Reon Swaim from Middletown, NJ

This is the perfect background for all our pre-Christmas preparations! We fondly remember the 36-hours of Christmas music aired by WPAT once-upon-a-time. But WQXR's selections are so much better! We hope this becomes an annual event! Thank you so much.

Dec. 23 2010 02:30 PM
Ruth from Manhattan

Thank you!
I always WANT this music during the holidays but I also don't WANT to annoy people who don't celebrate the holiday.

Now there's a choice.

They get enough of it in the shops!

Dec. 23 2010 02:23 PM
Ted Weis from New York City

What a wonderful piece of programming! This to me is the classical music equivalent of the "Yule Log" on TV. I listen every evening after my wife & daughter have gone to bed. It is the main activity which is putting me in the "Christmas Spirit" and getting me through this very difficult time. Please do it every year. Thank you so much!

Dec. 22 2010 11:24 PM
Cathy Smallwood from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Your special holiday music stream was the best gift you could give us! What a joy to listen to this while at work. Thank you so much - it was a brililant idea and so very much appreciated. A very Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone at WQXR!

Dec. 22 2010 03:37 PM
Rebecca from Manhattan

Thank WQXR for the continuous Christmas music. I love it, my only regret is tuning in just today.
Merry Christmas to all your staff and listeners/supporters.

Dec. 21 2010 12:47 PM
stephanie

I'm having a challenging holiday season and being able to come home after work and listen to this music is such a gift. Thanks WQXR!

Dec. 20 2010 11:04 PM
Jay Louden from Connecticut

As a Welsh-heritage American, I'm thrilled that the vocal tradition of Wales has been embodied in such a powerful person as Bryn Terfel. I have and will continue to be present whenever this mountain of a voice is unleashed in the pursuit of beautiful music. The Welsh vocal tradition is as long as music itself and in it - as in other cultures - one finds the spirit of humanity. As a completely secular but thoroughly spiritual individual, I applaud WQXR for reinforcing the intimacy of the voice - sung well and heard in purity. Thank you.

Dec. 20 2010 08:13 PM
Janet from Brooklyn

I argree with Marla, below. I like Bryn Terfel, but Placido Domingo put out a gorgeous recording of Christmas songs some years ago that you just never hear on the radio! There's also a more recent one.

Would love to know who performed the rousing Hark the Herald ANgels Sing medley - choir and orchestra, in a wonderful arrangement. No way of being sure.....

Dec. 20 2010 01:24 PM
Dave Ruby from Bronxville NY

I concur with many prior comments about the lack of a playlist. Many artists are missing sales of their CD's.

That said, this channel is a very special treat for the season.

Thanks

Dec. 18 2010 12:13 AM
Cristina Falasci from Brentwood California

endearing, melancholic, festive, ethereal, pensive. arousing...it has ignited all the appropriate responses inside me...
lovely, lovely programmed...
Have a peaceful holiday season.
thank you.

Dec. 16 2010 03:08 PM
Marla from NYC

Why all the repetition of Bryn Terfel? He's good but there are hundreds of Christmas albums by wonderful classical artists. How about Chanticleer? How about more Renaissance and Medieval? Strongly recommend you get your hands on Chicago A Capella. A greater variety would be welcome, with fewer musak-style instrumentals of pop Christmas carols.

Dec. 15 2010 04:04 PM
Bob Cochran from Portland Oregon

Your gifts of such beautiful and festive holiday selections are certainly welcome here! Nothing like it locally, except of course for the trite and common. Well done, WQXR! As others have noted, it would be great if somehow we might be able to access the playlists and current artist playing. I think you may be creating a wonderful tradition here in many listener's homes. It surely will be one in mine. Thanks so very much!

Sincerely,

Bob Cochran

Dec. 14 2010 11:04 PM
harry laubscher

My favorites for the holiday countdown are

Vocalise with Anna Moffo & Leopold
Strokowski

Chopan Piano Cpncerto #1

Dec. 14 2010 04:04 PM
Michael Dundon from Jersey City, NJ

I eMailed listening instructions to all my friends, and cannot tell you how many thank you's I have gotten in return. I encourage everyone to do the same as a small (and free) Christmas gift to friends and loved ones. WQXR, as always, you continue to put the class in classical music. Keep up the good work!

Dec. 14 2010 09:35 AM
gwen from Plainview

I totally concur with Erica Davis's comments below! The selection of holiday music here is wonderful --& I also have the same problem as her receiving your sister station which I love: WNYC.

Dec. 13 2010 10:07 PM

been listening for a week now and I am loving it.

Dec. 13 2010 03:00 PM
Erica Davis from Plainview, NY

I LOVE the holiday music! What a relief from the garbage on the "lighter" stations. I listen to it on my computer whenever possible.
It almost takes my mind off the fact that I can no longer receive WQXR on my radio.

Dec. 13 2010 02:53 PM

All good -- could you get a little more variety into the mix, like acoustic guitar, harp, chimes, etc.? There are some fine holiday albums out there by such artists.

Dec. 12 2010 06:31 PM
Mac Bollman from Bronxville, NY

Your interesting and varied holiday feed is a delight. It has been on all day and will continue all month.. ,
I share the wish of others for a play list, for our enjoyment, but also for the kids who don't get to hear much of this music, so we can tell them what they're hearing.
Many thanks, mB

Dec. 11 2010 08:16 PM
Elizabeth from Kendall Park NJ

Thank you, WQXR for providing beautiful, Christmas music. It's been great listening to it while decorating and preparing our home for Christmas. Finally, an offering of real Christmas music, not those six over-done songs commercial stations play over and over again. Thank you & Merry Christmas!

Dec. 11 2010 10:08 AM

Any response from WQXR on the idea of the playlist appearing in the Audio window?

For many of us, we ARE extremely interested in who and what is playing, not just having background dental office music.

I don't know, but I would think as you program the tracks, they could just as easily be posted/listed somehow, right?

Dec. 10 2010 10:28 AM
santa

I wonder if there's a way to see a list of what's currently playing on the holiday stream....a virtual playlist...I'm often curious about the selection but can't find the info.
ho hoho

Dec. 10 2010 07:45 AM
bob w from NYC

Just perfect! Why not go on to 12th night? A playlist would be an extra plus.

Dec. 09 2010 08:47 PM
CM from Beaufort, SC

Truly edifying and ethereal.
Thank you.

Dec. 09 2010 03:33 PM
Keith Heimann from Lincroft, NJ

Just beautiful! I'm sending this link to all my students!

Dec. 08 2010 05:25 PM

Is there a playlist of what is playing? I wish there was a list of the songs that are playing. I love the music and would love to be able to buy what I like

Dec. 08 2010 01:05 PM
WQXR

Leruas,

If you click on Other Formats in the player, the MP3 can be played through iTunes.

Dec. 08 2010 10:48 AM
Allison Elliott from Staten Island

This Holiday music is absolutely beautiful! I listen to it all day, while I'm at work on my computer. I have told everyone about it. What a joyful and relaxing way to spend my work day. Just another reason to love WQXR!

Dec. 07 2010 10:18 PM
Lorraine from NYC

Thank you for Lo How a Rose... I had been hoping to hear it!! I love the renditions with words and harmony but I am very grateful for any little one at all...

Dec. 07 2010 08:42 PM
Lee King from Franklin, TN

This stream is fantastic! After I got fed up with my local public radio station (in Tennessee) for taking classical music off during the daytime hours, I started listening to WQXR whenever I have access to a computer. The Christmas stream is as wonderful as your regular programming. I like the mix of choral as well as instrumental and love the brass.
Thank you, thank you!

Dec. 07 2010 03:58 PM
Leruas from New York

It would be nicer a)if the streaming window showed what is being played at the moment, b) if there were a little less repetition of what is already out on the commercial airwaves, for example more medieval and renaissance selections and c) if there were a way to access the stream from iTunes.

Dec. 07 2010 01:52 PM
Janet from Brooklyn

Thanks for the list! I recognized Bryn Terfel in "Bleakest Winter(?)" and figured out he also sang "Stille, Stille Stille." He's really developed into a terrific singer!

Dec. 07 2010 12:36 PM
Janet from Brooklyn

Could use some Hanukkah music in the mix.

Dec. 07 2010 11:49 AM
Larry Stoler from Stamford, CT.

I think this is a great idea. It provides a nice background as we go about our daily tasks and gets us into the spirit of the holidays as they arrive.

Thank you, WQXR for continuing to give us the best radio station website in the city.

Dec. 07 2010 11:36 AM
Janet from Brooklun

Who sang Stille,Stille, Stille? It was exquisite

Dec. 07 2010 11:26 AM
Karl from NYC

Is it possible to include a playlist for this channel?

Dec. 07 2010 11:02 AM
WQXR

The Holiday Channel is accessible by clicking on the "Special" tab in the What's On audio player in the top right corner of the page and clicking "Listen Now."

To listen via internet radio, use this URL: http://www.wqxr.org/stream/special-events-stream/mp3.pls

If you're still having trouble listening, please email Listener Services: listenerservices@wqxr.org.

Dec. 07 2010 10:12 AM
WQXR

Gev,

We liked your Yule Log suggestion and added the picture as a result. Enjoy!

Dec. 07 2010 10:10 AM
Susan in Nashville from Nashville TN

Loved your special streams in the past (the Mahler!!!) but the holiday stream is coming (to me at least) at a lower audio level than the two regular streams, and I cannot get it loud enough to enjoy. Am I the only one with this problem?

Dec. 07 2010 09:44 AM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

I can't help but wonder why we are doing this at all if we can't call it a "Christmas Channel". If you're playing Christmas music, why not call it that? Then again, as I have noted in another comment, it is not Christmas yet, so this carpet bombing of Christmas music, while it makes the stores very happy, is inappropriate, especially since it means that once the actual twelve days of the Christmas season begin (12/25-1/5), the music will have been long since packed away.

Dec. 06 2010 04:31 PM
Doug from NYC

Best thing ever!

Thanks so much. I know this sounds corny but this service/stream/special reminds me of the old perpetually burning fireplace logs that were broadcast on channel 11 from Gracie Mansion on Christmas eve.

Dec. 06 2010 10:23 AM
B. Lewis

Thanks for the Christmas music! I listen all year and this is a real treat.

Dec. 06 2010 08:51 AM
katemacd

THANK YOU WQXR! Is there a play list to click on for artist info, etc.? You have soothed my holiday angst. THANK YOU.

Dec. 06 2010 07:47 AM
Dave Michaels from Atlanta

Wonderful music! Thanks! Any chance you could get Aluratek Internet Radio to add this channel to their Classical list?

Dec. 06 2010 07:42 AM
Barbara

Listening with pleasure from Northville, MI, having been sent the link by my son in Fort Greene. WQXR was my station during my 30-year residence in NY, and how I have missed it! Thank you for this holiday gift!

Dec. 05 2010 02:47 PM
Judith from Bklyn

Thank you for this special station for the holidays. it is a gift.

Dec. 05 2010 01:06 PM
Estella from Mount Vernon, NY

Perfect for Christmas listening. I just love the mix of classical with contemporary sounds. Thanks you so much.
Estella

Dec. 04 2010 12:40 PM
Kevin Moore

So where is the "special" tab on the player? for the Christmas music?

Dec. 04 2010 12:27 PM
Wendy in PA

Have no trouble with windows to play regular WQXR but get nothing with the holiday program. Could this be an AOL issue?

Dec. 04 2010 11:27 AM
Irene Gregson from San Francisco, CA

Thank you so much for this wonderful selection of music! I've got this programmed on a preset on my Roku SoundBridge Radio and am ready to listen as often as I can until Christmas. I'm one happy WQXR supporter!

Dec. 03 2010 08:32 PM
augustin

I really love the classical Christmas music, but would like to know how to get it to work via internet radio. (We're using an app on our i-phones to tune the radio.)

Dec. 03 2010 04:54 PM
m.e. skenyon

This is a great idea--wonderful arrangements and all lovely; and I am spared the terrible music (Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, anyone?), or terrible versions of beautiful carols to which we are so often subjected.
So beautiful--Thank you!
m.e.

Dec. 03 2010 03:49 PM
Patrick Hill

No sound even though I click "Special"

Dec. 03 2010 02:53 PM
k thomson from NY

Sound ok now. Next to "listen now" is "other formats" and I chose windows.

Dec. 03 2010 01:43 PM
k thomson

There is a problem getting sound to work.

Dec. 03 2010 01:27 PM
Dan from NY

Is anyone else having trouble with the windows media player feed for the holiday music? It keeps giving me an error but I can listen to the regular station through WMP with no issues.

Dec. 03 2010 09:23 AM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

Ha ha, just noticed the Yule Log pic! Did I miss that the first time around??? Oops if I did, but huge thanks if it's new! :D:D:D

Dec. 03 2010 06:35 AM

Simply spectacular!

Dec. 02 2010 09:52 PM
Richard Matuszewski from Bloomfield, NJ

Thank you, WQXR! I love this new holiday addition! I realize that not everyone wants to hear an abundance of Christmas music on the radio, especially if they don't celebrate the holiday. Putting it online allows people like myself to indulge whenever and as often as I like. Happier than ever to be a listener-supporter! Merry Christmas.

Dec. 02 2010 09:14 PM
Dudy Schindler

The Christmas songs I love are
Angels we have heard on high
In dulce Jubilo
Es ist ein Ros entsprungen (Lo, a rose ever blooming)
I dislike
Jingle Bell
A white Christmas

Dec. 02 2010 08:27 PM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

How nice! Think you can a get a Yule Log up and running on site as well???

Dec. 02 2010 07:47 AM
SA Pratt from Kingston,NY

Thank you so VERY much for this special station for the Christmas season. I work the 3rd shift & this truly will make this season a very special one being able to hear this wonderful collection of artists and songs you have put together, uninterrupted too! Thank you for an early audio christmas present.
I wish you all at WQXR that made this possible a very Merry Christmas!

Sincerely, SA Pratt