Domingo Recovering from Surgery
Monday, March 08, 2010
Placido Domingo, the famed tenor, is recovering at home after having surgery last week to remove a cancerous polyp from his colon.
A spokeswoman, Nancy Seltzer, says the 69-year-old is expected to make a full recovery. Domingo had a minimally-invasive, laparoscopic procedure at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, and was released yesterday.
Doctors have ordered Domingo to rest for six weeks. The operation forced him to pull out of a run of "Tamerlano" at the Royal Opera House in London and "Simon Bocanegra" in Berlin. He's expected to return to the stage on April 16th for "Simon Bocanegra" at La Scala in Milan. However, Seltzer cautions that return date depends on Domingo's quick recovery.
"His exact return to his performing engagements remains subject to how fast he can heal and regain his characteristic strength," a spokeswoman says.
Domingo continues to perform his duties as director of the Los Angeles and Washington National Operas while recuperating at home, the statement says.