Episode #105

Leif Ove Andsnes Performs Haydn, Chopin and More

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

On Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 8 pm, the Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes presented a varied recital that touched on three centuries of solo piano repertoire.

Featured is Haydn’s Sonata in C Minor, Hob. XVI:20, Debussy’s Images, Book I, Bartok’s Suite, Op. 14 and a selection of Chopin’s waltzes, ballades and the Nocturne in B Major, Op. 62, No. 1. Jeff Spurgeon and Fred Child co-host the broadcast.

Listen to the archival audio above and check out the archived conversation below from our live chat below.

Program Details

Leif Ove Andsnes, Piano

JOSEPH HAYDN Sonata in C Minor, Hob. XVI:20
BÉLA BARTÓK Suite, Op. 14
CLAUDE DEBUSSY Images, Book I
FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN Ballade in A-flat Major, Op. 47
FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN Four Waltzes
FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN Nocturne in B Major, Op. 62, No. 1
FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN Ballade in G Minor, Op. 23

Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Leif Ove Andsnes rehearsing at Steinway Hall in Manhattan.
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
WQXR's Jeff Spurgeon talks to Leif Ove Andsnes about his upcoming Carnegie Hall piano recital.
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Jeff Spurgeon and Leif Ove Andsnes at Carnegie Hall.
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Leif Ove Andsnes tests two Steinway pianos on the Carnegie stage.
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Leif Ove Andsnes and Steinway piano technician Ismael Cunha.
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Leif Ove Andsnes tests the New York Steinway.
Piano
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Eileen Delahunty/WQXR
Leif Ove Andsnes tests the Hamburg Steinway.
Courtesy of Carnegie Hall
An iconic image of classical music: The Carnegie Hall stage set for a piano recital.

Ken from Chicago

I heard this same program in Chicago, but it was great to listen to this amazing pianist again through WQXR. Thanks!

Mar. 07 2012 09:56 AM
Gilbert

For Marildi

Feb. 27 2012 07:56 PM
JohnNYC

I was fortunate to attend Mr. Andsnes recital on Weds and it is wonderul being able to listen to it again via this medium. I loved the Haydn sonata which I found very lyrical and at times reminded me of Scarlatti's music and the first Chopin Ballade he played it was simply sublime.

Feb. 18 2012 05:29 PM
Nancy from San Francisco, CA

Wonderful sound. Kudos to the engineers. And of course to Mr. Andnes.

Feb. 17 2012 07:10 PM
Alicia Bliffeld from Riverdale, NY

I am listening again the first part of the program. Haydn was beautiful. So many times his music is full of humor. This time is so thoughtful, one laugh here and there. and those fingers so playful, but always thoughtful. Bartok is my favorite composer, hadn't heard this piece for a long time. Debussy like pearls. No matter what piano Andsnes chose impressionism showed.Now to the second part. Thanks

Feb. 17 2012 06:58 PM
Tom from Cragsmoor New York

Just listened to this broadcast, thanks so much, I live in the woods of upstate New York and it came through perfect. Both Fred and Jeff - thanks for your terrific comments. Best regards, Tom Bolger

Feb. 17 2012 11:24 AM
Jeff Spurgeon

The encores:
Chopin: Waltz Op.34, No. 1 "Valse Brillante"
Granados: Danzas Españolas No. 5
Rachmaninoff: Etude-tableaux Op. 33, No. 2

Feb. 17 2012 06:28 AM
Chester Page

The names of the encores, please, the last in particular. Rachmaninof? This pianist has everything: youth, good looks, absolute poise on the stage and limitless musical and technical ability.

Feb. 16 2012 08:08 PM
Harlan James from Brooklyn

It was good to hear Mr. Andsnes's forthright and full-blooded account of the Haydn C minor Sonata, without any suggestion of "powdered wig" archness. It's a reminder of how vital a musical force Haydn was and continues to be.

Feb. 16 2012 07:42 PM
John from Philadelphia

Hello. I'm trying to listen to last night's concert. The player isn't working. How can this be resolved?

Thanks.

Feb. 16 2012 04:51 PM
yichihara from NJ

Having had left my office in midtown past 8:30pm, I jumped middle in the program as soon as I got on the bus after 9pm. Then the bus got into Lincoln Tunnel. The radio sound was disrupted. Sigh … Although I completely missed the first half of the program, I was able to listen to the second half – Andsnes’s all Chopin program. I was enchanted with his Chopin … How gentle it sounds! How different it sounds from Pollini’s and Horowitz’s Chopin! Theirs are like elaborate glass works. Andsnes’s Chopin makes me feel human voice. Beautiful, delicate, and warm. Totally eye opening and deeply heart felt experience for me. Cheers! to Andsnes and thank you APR and WQXR for delivering his wonderful journey.

Feb. 16 2012 01:03 AM

Brilliant and thrilling Ballade No. 1. Thanks Mr. Andnes.

Feb. 15 2012 09:48 PM
AF from Long Island

I feel blessed. I'm about thirty miles from NYC listening on the radio (remember radio?), and reading the live chat as someone is having great difficulty trying to listen to this recital online!

I am very fortunate to be able to listen to WQXR not only on the fm dial at 105.9 but also via my HD radio tuner, which receives the HD signal from the air (WQXR is available as the HD 2 station on WNYC's 93.9) and sends the sound through my stereo system. It's gorgeous sound!

For those classical music fans in or near NYC, I highly recommend HD radio, especially given the availability of HD separate tuners and receivers that get am, fm, and HD, making it possible to listen through one's stereo system, and given the availability of several classical music stations in the city that broadcast in HD.

Feb. 15 2012 09:24 PM

This fraternity of classical music lovers is quite invigorating.
Andsnes mentioned in the Spurgeon interview above that Lipatti is probably his favorite pianist.

Feb. 15 2012 07:56 PM
Robert Kissel from Hamden, Connecticut

Anton Nel heard this program in San Francisco, and was overjoyed with it, so I can't wait to try to hear it over the internet tonight. I'm especially happy that you've programmed the Bartok Suite Opus 14, which isn't performed nearly as much as it should be!

Feb. 15 2012 12:10 PM
Sidney Goldman from Baldwin, New York 11510

I wish more of WQXR's new listeners as well as old listeners show their positive reaction to what is occurring with these almost daily requests by the station to "Leave a comment". I find the listener comments quite interesting to read them as well.

Feb. 14 2012 04:56 PM