Tell Your WQXR Story

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Help us celebrate 75 years as New York’s classical station by sharing your WQXR stories. Do you have a favorite host memory? Was there a favorite recording that you first heard on the station? Or a concert broadcast that caught you by surprise? Tell us about it by calling 800-543-2543 or leaving your comments in the box below.

In this clip, Aurora D’Elia, a teacher at a public school in the South Bronx, discusses how she sits her students down in the classroom every morning to listen to WQXR. What happened next caught her by surprise:

Burton Spielman from Madison, NJ

I'm sorry to say that we don't listen to WQXR nearly as much as we used to. Reception in northern New Jersey (we live in Madison, exactly 22 miles due west of Times Square) has not been what it should be ever since the change in frequency and severe reduction of ERP several years ago. Listening in a moving vehicle in these parts is next to impossible; consequently, we tune to SiriusXM's classical channels. We do miss some of QXR's "personalities," however. Sure would like to see a repeater station here in New Jersey like the one you established for the Hudson Valley.

Jun. 05 2014 05:37 PM
LBJ from Washington, DC

My apologies. In my previous comment, I referred to Nimet as a "DJ". With all due respect, I meant, "Host". Thank you.

Mar. 09 2014 08:40 PM
LBJ from Washington, DC

While living in Pennsylvania during the mid-1990's, I worked two jobs by day and attended graduate school in the evenings. After putting my two young children to bed one night, I discovered WQXR on my computer, which quickly became a natural part of my study time. The DJ, Nimet had a voice so warm and so graciously sophisticated that, given time, I felt as if a good friend was up, keeping me company throughout the night as I studied. Her selections of music were outstanding; providing the perfect background for extensive reading and hot cups of tea. Years (and a Master's degree) later, I am happy to say that I continue to listen. Thank you, Nimet, and WQXR for helping to get me through one of the most challenging points of my life, with your incomparable style and selection of music.

Mar. 09 2014 08:29 PM
Tom from Hudson Valley, NY

I used to have a 2 hour drive home, and would listen to QXR the entire time... Maybe someone can help me out! I remember an early evening show called "Our Time". I cannot recall the host or the name of the piece used as the theme. Does anyone remember? I recall it fondly and would like to include it in my upcoming wedding.... But can't find it without the name....

Feb. 17 2014 04:19 AM
Bob Sterry from Canby, Oregon

When I stepped off the plane from London at JFK in August of 1973 I had no idea what FM Radio was. Within a few weeks I was hooked on WNCN, WQXR, WOR, WNYC and WNEW. Of all the FM voices of the seventies and eighties that I remember with great fondness and gratitude it was either Karl Haas with that exasperating hesitation or George Jellinek, so erudite and smooth. But for sheer avuncular warmth it has to be George Edwards.

In my quest to persuade American classical music announcers to pronounce Ralph Vaughan Williams first name as I learnt it from the BBC in the fifties and sixties, and not in the pretentious dropped 'L' Raphe style I am hoping that recordings of the two WQXR Georges and Karl will bear me out.

Aug. 27 2013 10:55 PM
Patricia from Manhattan

Dear Midge,

I have listened to you every day at work for many years. Your humor and your enthusiasm for the music never fail to left my spirits. As a writer, I always feel inspired in my work by the music played on your show. I wish you all the best in spending time with your family. Please visit often.

Jan. 31 2013 11:28 AM
Robert Tendy from Putnam Valley

My parents would listen to WQXR every weekend, especially Saturdays. I listen to it whenever I can, usually on computer because I can't get a good radio signal where I live. I have learned so much about music as a result of listening. I am listening to it now as I exercise before work. I first heard Mahler on WQXR, Sibelius, Christopher Parkening, and so many others...so much "gorgeousness." WQXR is an oasis in the radio desert, and I truly appreciate it. As long as there is WQXR, our civilization is healthy!

Jan. 31 2013 05:00 AM
Annette Buchwalder Arnold from New Jersey

When I was growing up in the early 1950s in Bridgeport, CT, my late sister Catherine would play the Sunday broadcast of the Philadelphia Philharmonic Symphony on WQXR as we were drying the dishes from our Sunday dinner. We kids cherished the beautiful music we were priviledged to be listening to while we worked.

Jan. 30 2013 12:17 PM
Michael from New York, NY

I've got not only WQXR in New York, but I've also got your newest sister station, WRTI in Phildaelphia. It's nice to know that people like Jeff Spurgeon, Midge Woolsey and Nimet are still with WQXR. I'm also happy to have learned about Gregg Whiteside being on the air full time at WRTI in Philadelphia every weekday mornings Monday through Friday.

I'm so blessed as the millions of New Yorkers can have the opportunity to hear Gregg back on the airwaves even though he's not in New York. He deserved his "Resurrection" as Mahler would call it in his 2nd symphony. His bright and early days are shined back in a whole new way for him. I hope one day if WQXR reconsiders having Gregg back to the New York airwaves even as a guest announcer. WQXR and WNYC are public radio stations and glad they are affiliated with sister station WRTI in Phildaelphia!

Nov. 23 2012 03:32 PM
Martin Mendelson from Portland, Oregon

I too am 75, and I have no idea when I first heard music on WQXR, but it was 1560 AM then, and I used to sit on the floor next to our big old RCA floor model. First in Queens, and later on Ocean Avenue in Flatbush. I attended the Henry Street Settlement Music School, and classical music was definitely my great love. I don't recall when WQXR added FM, but I do remember how incredible was the new sound - especially played through a Heathkit hifi system with University speakers! I learned to build electronic gear just so I could listen to WQXR. When I went to Cornell in Ithaca, I was horrified to find that I could not pick up 1560, except when my dad visited me and the radio in his 1954 Pontiac pulled it in. After a stint at graduate school in California I returned to NYC and to 96.3 FM. Stayed there for 15 years before succumbing to the lure of the Pacific Northwest. But do I regret it? Not when I can listen once again to WQXR on the internet, as I am now, and will continue to do after I move to Geneva next month. Becoming a member was obviously a no-brainer.
My thanks go to everyone who, like me, refused to see classical music on WQXR die. I trust that in another 75 years, when we are long gone, WQXR will still be enriching the lives of even more people than now.

Jun. 16 2012 10:15 PM
Ron from Manhattan from NYC

I am 75 just as WQXR is 75. I remember no specific performance on the radio as I grew uo in Brooklyn but my earliest memories of driving in my father's car, probably in the early 40's was that the radio was always tuned to 96.3 and I was always challenged to identify what great classical work was being played. I usually failed the test. QXR has always been my station of choice and I could probably answer many of the questions put to me by my Dad these many years ago. Dad's legacy of the love for classical music and its source, WQXR continues in me and probably many others who were exposed to the music when they and WQXR were kids.

May. 08 2012 04:47 PM
David Mc Cormick from Lafayette, LA

Like others, I recall Pru Devon's program, "Nights in Latin America." She always began the show with "Saludos, Amigos." Also remember Alma Dettinger's (sp?) show, "Other People's Business."

Apr. 21 2012 01:36 PM
Eric from NEW JERSEY

I grew up listening to this station like many,many others!!Having to get out of bed at 5:30 am everyday I always had it as companion.My fabulous father and I lived at 333 E 14th ST. He introduced me to all,opera,recitals,All Philharmonic orch,ballet,etc. Anyway,QXR came crashing down to me when they fired Gregg Whiteside,and I'll never forgive them!! Now I am blessed that I can hear him again from a fantastic radio station in Philadelphia,AH!!life is good again.

Mar. 13 2012 11:22 AM
Julie Leininger Pycior from Hastings-on-Hudson

In 1966 Dorothy Day wrote in her diary, "Got QXR [sic] in Picton, Ontario!" Moreover, I came across this WQXR reference while I myself was listening to the station today! You folks keeps me company as I do my research for a comparative biography of Dorothy Day [http://www.catholicworker.org/dorothyday/photos.cfm.]and Thomas Merton [http://www.merton.org/chrono.htm.]

Feb. 12 2012 07:33 PM
Harold Edelstein from Hudson, MA

In the hot summers of Crown Heights, Brooklyn, in the early '50s we kids would congregate after supper on the stoops in front of the apartment buildings and chatted.. I quickly got bored of hearing about "dem Dodgers" and brought down from my parent's apartment my Emerson portable radio to listen to 1560AM. The sound attracted another music lover who taught me about the rudiments of classical music. We never heard the chatter and ramblings of the batting averages and the Yankees vs. the Dodgers. I escaped boredom and was hooked for a lifetime of QXR and beautiful meaningful music.

Jan. 29 2012 11:00 AM

My mother, Angeline Ludman, nee Kelley, was born in 1904 in Yonkers, NY. She graduated from Yonkers High School in 1921. Mom then graduated from the Yale School of Music in 1925. (I KNOW, YALE WAS A MEN ONLY COLLEGE - except for the School of Music and the School of Art). Upon graduation, my mom received a Scholarship from the Winchester family to attend the American School at Fontanbleu, France, under the tutelage of Nadia Boulanger.

My mom was a Contralto. She taught voice and other Music subjects at the (then) Montclair State Teachers College (now Montclair University). She also gave private voice lessons.

During the late '40s and the 50's mom was a member of the Schola Cantorum, presided over by Hugh Ross.

In 1958, mom spent three months in London in classes given by A. J. Westrup.

One last thing -- Prince Ranier gave an 80th birthday party to Nadia Boulanger in Monaco. My mom was there. Ms Boulanger remembered my mom.

(I know, I tend to emulate Talkative, Aged King Xerxes -- "Old Babble-On!"

Jan. 16 2012 09:47 AM
Jon from Connecticut

Growing up my family moved several times. While I was in the 4th grade(1972) we moved from Worchester Mass. to Huntington,NY. We lived very close to Huntington harbor in an area called Wincoma. My father discovered WQXR and it was on a lot in the car and at home.Classical music was always on the stereo in my home from the time I was very small.I remember so vividly first hearing QXR when we moved to greater New York.Being in the car driving home along the edge of the harbor in the early evening, I can remember Duncan Pirnies program with the signature soundtrack he had.I remember the advertising spots from Paine,Weber,Jackson and Curtis and the Russian Tea Room.Also Lufthansa,Pan American airways and lincoln center.
I had never been into Manhatten before we moved to the area. Then we used to go in a lot.As a kid the whole thing was kind of scary, the tension of being on the bumper to bumper L.I Expressway.Then being in the city during those rough times in the early 70's.Always though WQXR would be playing, making me feel calm with its reserved elegance.It was the perfect soundtrack for a city like New york.Even as a kid WQXR made me feel and understand the power,elegance and beauty of Manhatten.Great memories !!

Jan. 08 2012 03:37 AM
Nancy Linge Currier from Wappingers Falls NY and the Adirondack Mts

I don't remember a day I didn't wake up to WQXR. My father put it on first thing every morning. He said that my first words were, "WQXR Radio Station of the New York Times." As I got older and liked to sleep in a bit on Saturday mornings, Dad would gradually turn the volume until I crawled out from under the covers. Sunday afternoons were spent driving around the countryside listening to the Met. It's how I thought all families spent their Sunday afternoons. Almost 60 years and classical music is still a very important part of my life. Thank you George Edwards, Karl Haas, all the other announcers, and especially to my dad for the lifelong gift he gave me

Dec. 31 2011 06:24 PM
Jennie from from Pennsylania

One of my earliest memories of WQXR was visiting the studio with my uncle, Robert Cobaugh, who worked for this station from 1936 to 1981.
The staff members were always kind to me - the curious little girl with the chestnut pigtails and big green eyes.
I used to spend a portion of my summer with Uncle Bob and Aunt Helen.
Uncle Bob was fascinated with gadgets and two-way radios. He spent hours each evening chatting with people across the globe via the system he engineered in his Bayside home.
I'll always remember Uncle Bob and WQXR with fondness.

Dec. 08 2011 03:07 PM
Larry from Larchmont, NY

My parents had WQXR on permanently during my childhood, which began in 1942. So I've been listening to WQXR from before the dawn of my conscious memory, and along with some beloved music teachers the station opened the universe of classical music for me and schooled me in serious listening. I remember when the station mailed to listeners a printed monthly program guide that detailed what would be played when through the coming month. I would circle what I intended to hear long in advance, & during my college years would arrange my study schedule to fit WQXR's programming of what I wanted to hear.
The station and its long list of great program hosts, so welcome to the ear, has always been a treasure I can't imagine not having been a part of New York's sound. But, in saying "Happy 75th Birthday WQXR," I can truly say that you and your hosts gotten ever better. Thank you, thank you! We're all looking forward to the next 75 years!

Dec. 03 2011 07:33 PM
Stephen Victor from Pennsylvania

WQXR was the sound track of my childhood. The radio was always turned on and tuned to 1560 or 96.3. Awakening to George Edwards Bright and Early, retiring to bed to Symphonic Highlights. If I was around at 9AM, it was Piano Personalities. At 5PM, it was always Robert Farnon's Journey into Melody. Listening to Melvin Elliott, :Lloyd Moss, Duncan Pirnie, Jacques Fray.
I still fondly remember the WQXR theme songs of the day. How can I hear "sleighride" without thinking of George Edwards? "Arabeske" without thinking of Piano Personalites? "Jesu joy of Man's Desiring" without thinking of Steinway Hall? Rosenkavalier walzes without thinking of Jacques Fray? Walpurgis nacht without thinking of "other peoples' business"? Mahler's 4th without thinking of Robert Lawrence? How I miss these themesongs and wish WQXR would bring them back. Finally- the golden voices of Bill Watson and Clayelle Dalferes, who came from the "other" NYC classical music station.

Nov. 30 2011 10:10 PM
Gregg C Levine from Astoria Queens

Well let's see.... I grew up with the station. Despite a brief flirtation with that silly stuff called R&R. I came back during my Senior Year in High School, and never looked back. I can still remember listening to the station when it was on 96.3 and naturally no commercials. Even recall that at the bottom of the hour, the announcer would mention the top story (which could be anything) and the weather, and then put something else on. I even recall both of Lloyd Moss's shows, and of course I even recall Bob Sherman's show on on folk music dedicated to Woody Guthrie. (His selection one Saturday night on drinking songs sticks in my mind because of the one about the sailor. I once knew its entire lyrics.....)
Eventually on my own:
I would fall asleep listening to Nimet spin her splendidly delivered methods of delivering great music.... And then wake up with Greg Whiteside, including that truly awful day ten years ago September. In fact I've got the station on now, and its been a great help as I work through an amazingly difficult computer problem. I always do things best at this late hour, thanks to Nimet.

I should also comment on the wonders of listening to the station one April afternoon and hearing the announcer, Lloyd Moss of course, put on the work Ravel created for the left hand, piano concerto of course, for that piano player what was his name again..... Anyway Lloyd told the story behind it perfectly, it was only afterwards that I recalled that it was the same for a MASH episode years earlier. (The piece sounds better on a properly tuned piano with orchestral backup.) Anyway that's why I've been listening to the station for so long I've considered it to be time out of mind. I'm 48 now and people still wonder how I recall each composer as if I knew them personally. No wonder! Oh and of all of them I prefer Beethoven then Brahms and one or two others....

Nov. 20 2011 05:16 AM
miranda dekay

isn't that announcer who mentions Leonid
Hambro Milton Cross?

Nov. 14 2011 04:03 PM
Lilly Knuth from Garden City So

When I was a teenager rock & roll was all the rage among my friends, but I was a staunch listener of WQXR. Homework was always done listening to the station and in those days I listened on AM. When I heard that we might lose this great station I made sure I became a supporter. A day without WQXR is like a day without sunshine.

Nov. 13 2011 05:47 PM
Joe Dorinson from brooklyn, new york

I will be 75 on November 15 and literally grew up with WQXR, My mother would put on the radio in the morning to awaken me for school. Though I resented this kind of alarm system, I learned to love the music and the voice of Duncan Pirnie, especially during the cocktail hour. I salivated as he evoked the various restaurants, their specialties, and the libations that complimented the food. Years later, I saw Mr. Pirnie's photo proving that he enjoyed the food and drink that he touted on my favorite radio station: WQXR.

Nov. 12 2011 11:12 PM
Charles Eisenhardt from Whitestone

I remember Duncan Pirnie saying 'goodnight' to everyone, and the "little red-heads". I also recall sharing adventures in music with Karl Haas, and waking up to Gregg Whiteside after falling asleep with Minnette. WQXR has always been an oasis in a desert of noise.

Nov. 07 2011 03:27 PM
Diane G from Queens, NYC

I decided to add my bragging rights to all those others of the many years I've been a listener at WQXR.. While I'm grateful for all those 60 years, I am still more grateful that you are all still there, entertaining, educating and enlightening your listeners. My home is filled all day with wonderful sound. I won't be here, but I wish you another 75 years and many more.

Oct. 20 2011 02:31 PM
Bill Joseph

Like WQXR I am 75. But I've been listening for only 55yrs.

Oct. 14 2011 03:01 PM
Thomas Eccardt from New York

The best WQXR host I can remember is LLoyd Moss. He had a much longer history at the station than his stint as afternoon disc jockey, and his knowledge of classical music was evident in all of it. Such a pleasure to hear Mr. Moss's clear, polished voice between classical music pieces -- he was a cornerstone in the New York landmark known as WQXR!

But Mr. Moss's sophistication was not limited to diction or musicology -- he also had a devilish sense of humor that thankfully was lost on some of those in charge. He would always open his show with some clever pun. But I also recall that after one commercial he sometimes remarked "love that julery!" He said it with such a straight face that I was sure that the jewelry auction house sponsor who narrated her own commercials would never be the wiser of the parody.

Oct. 12 2011 05:27 PM
Ken Serio from Clifton Nj

I discovered WQXR in 1982 on 1560AM. It used to come in clear most nights in Rhode Island, but only at night. I fell in love with Nette and New York at night as a High School student and listened everynight. I'm so glad she is still on the air. The woman,has a gift fo communication and making you feel NOT ALONE, on the loneliset of nights. Nemette I Love you, we have been long time friends. Long Live Over Night music and please keep up these vintage broadcasts they are truley great !

Oct. 10 2011 05:07 PM
Alan Olsen from Bedford Hills, NY

WQXR has been my most listened to station for almost my entire life. WQXR, the High School of Music and Art and I, all came into being in 1936.
In the early 1950's I was a voice student at M&A. On an occasion around 1953, I sang a piece about the Erie Canal on WQXR. Later, while I was AGMA's Lincoln Center representative, I recorded Francis Robinson's "collectors Christmas and Easter programs" My tapes of which were distroyed in a 1999 flood. Are there any archive tapes of his programs? Happy Birthday.
Alan Olsen

Oct. 10 2011 10:57 AM
Robert Hults from Pine Bush, New York

As a teenager I listened to 2 New York radio stations, WNEW FM 102.7 for rock, and WQXR 96.3 for classical. WQXR provided me not only with great music but was the catalyst for my life time love of classical music. Thank you WQXR.

Oct. 09 2011 07:02 PM
Irene Sax from Manhattan

When I was a teenager, I used to go to sleep at night listening to To Paris Please on WQXR. Charles Trenet and Juliet Greco made me feel I wasn't going to high school but was in a Parisian cafe. Anyone else remember it?

Oct. 09 2011 05:39 PM
Mary Birchard from New York CIty

WQXR is about 6 months older than I am. My family lived in NJ, and my parents listened to WQXR and went to the opera and concerts. From an early age I was aware of and liked classical music. Having lived in NYC for over 50 years, I am delighted to have been a WQXR listener for many years.

Oct. 07 2011 03:49 PM
Tom fiorill from Sayville NY

My parents listened to WQXR and I grew up listening to WQXR. My father bought the Angel Classical LP's and we would listen to Peter and the Wolf and Britain's You Person guide together. I strayed to folk and a little rock in high school, what a rebel! But classical music seems to endure. I recall fondly all the WQXR announcers, Jacques Frey, Melvin Elliott, Lloyd Moss, Peter Allen, and George Jellinek, and even Greg W. for all his faults. Thank you WQXR.

Oct. 06 2011 03:16 PM
Karen Nangle from Meriden, CT

The first thing my mother did when we moved from the south in 1946 back to NYC was turn on the radio to WQXR. We listened to Geroge Edwards the first thing in the morning. 40 years later my husband and I moved to Savannah for 9 years. I had the WQXR bends, and was thrilled when we moved back north and were able to stream it 24/7! I LOVE WQXR. It is like a security blanket

Oct. 05 2011 12:35 PM

I have been out of work for about 2 years now. While I have performed some consulting work, I continue to look for a full-time job. After the news and breakfast in the morning, I tune into WQXR and begin the job search. While the search can be frustrating at times, listening to WQXR helps me through the day (although I do sometimes get distracted when a favorite song is played!). I also get good info on concerts and other events that I may not otherwise know about. I actually bought a small transistor radio so I could listen at work during my last assignment!

Oct. 04 2011 02:32 PM
Richard Scher from Gainesville, FL

just to tell you that i have now been listening to WQXR for more than 60 years.

it started when i was a kid, growing up in Jamaica, Queens, in the late 1940s. your station was on my parents' radio virtually constantly (we were slow to get that newfangled device called a "Television").

i particularly remember family Sunday lunches, which i generally hated because they took too long and "wasted" much of my Sunday afternoon. But your station was always on during the lunches, and if my mother's parents were present (they lived in Hollis), my grandfather, who was a concert violinist and graduate of the Paris Conservatory, would sing/hum/conduct along, and tell me about the music. i liked that, it got me interested in "classical" music.

later, when i went to college at Columbia (after a 9 year sojourn in the desert of Houston, where my family moved) during the 1960s, WQXR was my roommate's and my station of choice (he was a philosophy and music major), except i must confess we sometimes switched to WNCN, which had fewer commercials. In any case, WQXR was affiliated with the New York Times then, and we always awoke to the 7:00 news broadcast, thanks to the alarm on the radio.

Life took me many places and through many adventures, good and bad, but i was so delighted, when i bought my new iMac a few months ago, that i could again listen to WQXR on the radio stream! it's like old times! i learned that you and the Times divorced, as i did, but life goes on and you have found a new life as a publicly supported station. now that i have found you, and listen to you again, i promise to do my part and will become a member. i am already on your various email lists.

So, even with the vagaries and twists and turns of life, i am so glad to learn that WQXR remains a constant. now that i am in my "downhill" years, it is a great source of comfort to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same - WQXR.

i thank you for that!

Yours truly,

Richard K. Scher, Ph.D

2879 NW 4th Lane
Gainesville, FL 32607
352-381-9577

Professor, Department of Political Science
234 Anderson Hall - Box 117325
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-7325
352-273-2356
rkscher@ufl.edu

Sep. 30 2011 01:30 PM
sarah Levine simon from Poughkeepsie, NY

Robert Sherman once hosted a clarinetist about to make a Carnegie Recital Hall debut.
I think it might have been 1970. She played through her recital excerpts and then joined Bob Sherman for the interview. They went through her illustrious credits and training and then he asked her about her future engagements: "I'm starting medical school." Her reply was followed by the longest silence the radio ever transmitted.

Sep. 30 2011 09:08 AM
Carl Ian Schwartz from Paterson, New Jersey

I've been listening to WQXR since July 1951--yes, since I was born--my dad always listened to it. I remember Jacques Fray's program of French music, your Saturday night live chamber music, the Met on Saturday afternoons, Duncan Pirie's effortless sophistication, and Latin American music with Pru Devon. Live long and prosper!

Sep. 29 2011 07:33 PM
yichihara from NJ

Dear WQXR,
Congratulations! on your 75th birthday!

I am younger than you, came to the U.S. in 1992 at first in Virginia (out of range), then moved to New Jersey in 1994, but the time I learned the existence of WQXR was 1996 or 1997 when I was finishing college; you were still a commercial radio station. As an international student, I did not have time to enjoy TV shows and radio programs until my senior year almost ended. However, once I learned FM 96.3, it simply became my household and car staple much the same way as my mother’s staple NHK FM in Japan, which used to play a lot more classical music than it is today. I grew up playing violin and piano, listening to the music my mother was listening to via radio. I cannot tell you enough how much I missed WQXR while I was in Pittsburgh for graduate school from 1999 to 2000. How happy I was when I moved back to New Jersey and was able to listen to WQXR once again.

Reading other fellow WQXR lovers’ comments here so far, I remember there were several programs that are gone today, which I really miss. I don’t recall the exact titles of those programs, but I loved so much such as piano piece comparison program by David Duval and even some jingles of the short programs such as ‘On the town’. Also, as I listened to the regular hosts’ voice on every day basis, I have developed one way intimacy to each of them – Jeff, Annie, Midge, Elliot, David, Nimet, and another female host whose deep alto voice I love (she recently came back on WQXR, filling for some of the other hosts mainly weekends and nights). One thing I’ve kept missing is a chance to attend annual Christmas Carol reading by the regular hosts at Strand Bookstore. (After WQXR went to public, it took place at Jerome Greene Space last year.) When I was in school, it’s always in the middle of final exam period and I had to give up. After I started working, I was unable to sneak out my office early enough or out of country. Every year as December approaches I hope I can make it this year, but not yet. Eventually I will.

So many things, so much fond memory I would like to talk about and am thankful for WQXR. Especially you enable me to meet a lot of old familiar (to me) works and new (to me) pieces, both of which have given me tremendous joy, often stirred further interest in the composers and performers. Without WQXR, my life would have been simply a desert. I hope you’ll keep the breadth and depth of the classical music you present, taking challenge in new initiatives and bringing new currents of classical music world. Cheers! WQXR, forever.

Sep. 29 2011 06:04 PM
JoAnne Manse from Rutherford, NJ

I am a high school Latin and English teacher. In my Short Stories course, I would often bring in classical music as a writing prompt. My favorite was when I had the class listen to Robert W.Smith's "Into the Storm." We listened to it twice and then the students wrote a creative story about what they felt the music was saying. I had the most delightful reading experience of my career. My students wondered what radio station I listen to and I told them I listen to only one station--WQXR. Many have since told me that they, too, now listen to your station. What a wonderful prompt classical music makes to get young minds thinking creatively! I have been a loyal fan since 1978.
Sincerely,
J. Manse

Sep. 29 2011 05:23 PM
Sidney Goldman from Baldwin, New York 11510

I am 84 and listened to WQXR most of those years. At times I visited the station, spoke to hosts and the station manager. I also went to concerts and other events which were offered to us.

I have a number of brochures which I picked up at the station.

Classical music led me to playing the violin in a local university orchestra.

Unfortunately my hearing became very poor, and the hearing aids I wear do not reproduce CDs, live concerts as I used to listen with so much love for the works broadcast. Having a large library of these LPs and CDs together with their magazines gave me an excellent classical music education.

So I have good memories of WQXR for what it provided me and my family over the years.

Sep. 29 2011 04:44 PM
Caesar J. Warrick from milford ct

My grandfather owned a live poultry market in Port Chester N.Y. While my mother was downtown shopping she would leave me with my grandfather. He had a big wooden Philco radio that sat atop the refrigerator and every saturday afternoon him and I would listen to the texaco opera on WQXR. I especially remember the way he fine tuned that old radio until the sound was just right.He would alway's take time out from his work to tell me what the opera was about. As I looked at the dial light on that big Philco I alway's pictured in my mind what the stage settings and the singers looked like.I Especially remember one time,I think it was Pagliacci that was playing,There was a cage full of Guinea Hens that started singing along with the opera. My grandfather came out of the back room with the poultry hook,put the guinea hens into another cage, and transported them into the garage out back,where they spent the rest of the afternoon.There would be a no noise policy when Grandpa Cesare was listening the Texaco Opera. Good memories. I listened to theTexaco Opera until it's last broadcast and was saddened to see it go.No other name on that broadcast could do it for me.When Grandpa passed on I ended up with the old Philco radio. Sad to say WQXR no longer eminates from that big speaker.But when I look at it it brings back some of the fondest musical memories that I ever experienced. Those were some classy times. C.J.W

Sep. 29 2011 02:52 PM
CPG from Englewood, NJ

I've been listening to WQXR since I was a very young child. The Saturday opera broadcast was on every week in my Fathers barber shop. I was hooked before I was a teenager. When I built my first FM stereo receiver circa 1962 and got a pair of decent speakers, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Waking up with Duncan Pirnie was a joy, his word plays, his clever humor helped every day start with a smile. What a joy to accidently meet him at the eye doctor we both went to in Hackensack! Then came Nimet at night, the perfect bookend for a perfect day. As a supporter, my thanks and congratulations.

Sep. 29 2011 01:44 PM
dianne nielsen from Thailand

When Nimet had her show I kept the radio on all night. Her eloquent voice and musical selections pervaded my dreams! No one else sounded like her, so I imagined that she was a princess who wore a tiara at all times. Especially on the air.

Sep. 27 2011 09:29 AM
gary from Bklyn., USA

wqxr was my classical music teacher. George Jellinek & Karl Haas, the professors. Over the course of several decades, my palate widened, and I surprise myself at some of the music I enjoy now, that I did not even hear back then. Lately I am enjoying a great deal of Latin American music introduced by Maestro Dudamel. gjf

Sep. 26 2011 09:55 PM
Jacob Zaborowski from Cliffside Park, New Jersey

I can remember the very first time I listened to WQXR. It was a gray November weekend and I was in the first grade, and I remember fiddling through the stations on the radio in our living room and I came across this sweeping, jubilant symphony. I remember actually trying to "conduct" the radio as though it were an orchestra, moving my hands up and down like I'd seen conductors do on TV. Of course, I soon tired of that, but I have a remained a listener to WQXR since. Thank you for the music.

Sep. 26 2011 08:21 PM
Fran White from Basking Ridge, New Jersey

WQXR was what kept me sane and happy as I raised my children as a single mother. Greg Whiteside was delightful as he talked about
all the exciting Italian music he played. And
Nemette's music at night was my lullaby. How
I loved the opening music for that show at
midnight!! Happy, Happy Birthday to my long standing companion.

Sep. 26 2011 07:36 PM
Tim Taffe from iowa city iowa

As a kid growing up in Jersey, WQXR was my introduction to classical music. I still want to say "WQXR, Radio Staion of The New York Times". WQXR was culture, and class and New York City itself.
I now live in Iowa City Iowa....my radio station??...WQXR Internet of course..and I am a WQXR Sustaining Member. Thank you. Tim Taffe

Sep. 26 2011 06:33 PM
Ira Ehrenkranz from morristown new jersey

My Mom and I often kidded she would get into a gown and me into a tuxedo to listen to the Met on Saturday afternoons at 2:The voice of Milton Cross would come over our radio and whatever problems that occured during the prior week were forgotten. I am 77 and my Mom is long gone, but it is a wonderful memory of a wonderful afternoon of broadcasting pleasure.To another 75 years of entertainment. I'm so happy that I found you on the computer !
I felt as if I had lost a dear friend for a time.
Good luck !

Sep. 26 2011 05:37 PM
Don Fodor from Dunellen, N.J.

I was a high scool senior in 1992 when Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" was released in the theaters. At that time, being 17 years old we primarily listen to the rock and roll that was popular then.But it was the sound track from that movie that got me hooked on classical music and I haven't looked back.
Last week WQXR was playing the overture from "The Thieving Magpie", which I was listening to in my office. A co-worker who could hear the music from outside my door suddenly walked in and started to recite numerous lines from that movie. After a minute or so we both engaged in dialogue from the movie and had a few good laughs.
That movie changed what I listen to and I'll still smile when I hear something that WQXR plays and reminds me of something I heard when I was younger.

Sep. 26 2011 02:51 PM
Bob Nangle from Meriden, CT

When I was a kid in New Haven, Ct, it was AM at 1560. We were dismayed when most people celebrated the quality of FM, but due to its straight line signal we lost QXR. Later in Darien, my new New York raised bride and I woke up to Copland's fanfare and George Edwards on her favorite station. Bless streaming QXR.org for reaching us now.

Sep. 26 2011 08:52 AM
Paul Fabrizi from Rockland County, NY

I first encountered WQXR around the late 4o:s. I was in my 20.s. Since then I have listened to practically nothing else. Every month the NYTimes mailed out the Program Guide listing every program for that month. IIt helped me to identify and enjoy the music even to this day. I am now 87 > The musid has sustained me even to this day. I could'nt survive without it. Thanks for keping it alive.

Sep. 25 2011 10:18 AM
Norm Weiser from New York, NY

I've been listening to 'QXR since my high school days, in the late 40s. I remember doing homework to Duncan Pirnie and the evening (7:30 pm) quizzes; Jacques Fray and his programs of French music, introduced by the "Rosenkavalier" waltzes; the evening restaurant programs of light music (Robert Farnon); the Sunday morning music programs introduced by a Mozart piano concerto; Saturday morning GIlbert & Sullivan programs (what to listen to? the G&S, or "Let's Pretend" on CBS, or "Land of the Lost" on ABC?), and -- perhaps most of all -- the April Fool's programs with Peter Ustinov and other comic delights, like "Europa und das Stier." You might say I grew up with 'QXR!

Sep. 24 2011 04:10 PM
Michael Meltzer

As for hosts, I most miss the insights into the world of pianists and repertoire for the piano provided by Abram Chasins in the old days, and David Dubal more recently.
As for selections, I can vividly remember two recordings aired on WQXR sending me directly to the record store. Long ago, it was the LP of E.Power Biggs' arrangements for organ & brass, the particualr selection being his Bach: Sinfonia to Cantata #29 (which in D-major is the same music as the prelude to the E-major Partita for solo violin). I think the LP was all-Bach, I'm not sure.
Just before WQXR went public, it was Barbara Bonney singing lute songs of John Dowland on her CD, "Fairest Isle."
The purity of that gorgeous voice goes right through you, I recommend it to everyone.

Sep. 23 2011 01:42 PM
Donald G. Morrison from NYC

How old am I? I am so old that WQXR used to put me to bed.

I grew up in northern New England in the mountains of New Hampshire and from dusk until they signed off between 12 and 1 am I could get the signal from the old WQXR AM, 1560, at the far end of the dial. Thus, when they played the "Star Spangled Banner" every night I knew that no more classical music would be wafting up over those distant hills. And so: to bed.

I first heard Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique" courtesy of WQXR on long-playing records that were so much nicer than the hissing of the old 78's.

Since coming to New York in 1968, I have been a devoted listener to WQXR FM. And, yes, though it's not preceded by the national anthem, our radio station still puts me to bed.

Yours faithfully, and with thanks,
Donald G. Morrison

Sep. 23 2011 12:42 PM
Natalee Saxon Fogel from Scarborough, NY

One of my early memories is of my father sitting next to our radio, listening to the classical music he loved on WQXR. It was probably the year the station went on air.Some years later, in late 1948 or 1949) I was home alone, ironing (remember that chore?,) listening to WQXR,when the announcer said, with awe, that he was now going to play a recording that lasted 20 minutes (I think that was the time.)
It was the first long playing record that he, I, and probably every other listener, had ever heard. History was being made & I HEARD IT FIRST! I wonder if anyone knows what that recording was.

Sep. 23 2011 12:36 PM