WQXR Introduces the 'Operavore' 24-7 Opera Web Stream

Tune in for Divine Divas, Top Tenors and Rousing Choruses

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Operavore marquee banner WQXR

On Saturday, Jan. 7, WQXR will launch a continuous, all-opera web stream, giving fans a place to indulge their passions and newcomers a resource to discover what's exciting about the art form.

The channel, which will be available in the audio player at WQXR.org (marked "Operavore"), will feature a continuous, carefully programmed mix of opera arias, duets, scenes choruses and instrumental numbers.

Much of the repertoire will center on the core classics of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries, but there will also be a healthy mix of Baroque opera and major works from the past 100 years.

The stream will feature recordings by today’s prominent opera stars as well as classic versions by the greats of the past. A typical day might include performances by Luciano Pavarotti, Beverly Sills, Jusi Björling, Leontyne Price, Hildegard Behrens, Montserrat Caballé, Maria Callas and Kirsten Flagstad, as well as Cecilia Bartoli, Renee Fleming, Danielle de Niese, Juan-Diego Florez, Jonas Kaufmann, Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Anna Netrebko. And that’s just scratching the surface.

It should be noted that because of rights issues with record labels, we won’t be offering full-length operas just yet, but we are working on that for the not-too-distant future. We also plan to present programming in conjunction with major operatic events around New York and beyond.

The Operavore stream joins WQXR’s Operavore blog, which offers up-to-the-minute news, reviews and commentary on the world of opera. Fred Plotkin and Olivia Giovetti follow the leading performers, composers, directors and designers, both in New York and beyond.

Charles Monteleone

This is the best thing to ever happen on the Internet.
BUT!!
Why can't we know in advance what aria is next. Or at least identify the aria playing now.
We have to wait while your blurb about WQXR'a new Operavore.
Please fix this
Love it!!

Jun. 29 2013 11:49 AM
WQXR

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We are still building our database and would love your help. Go here: http://www.wqxr.org/#/articles/wqxr-features/2012/jan/12/make-operavore-request/ to request something that you'd like to hear on Operavore and we'll get it to the playlist for you.

Jan. 14 2012 08:29 AM

I've been listening since the start-up.... I'm already hearing many, too many repeats! For example, I've heard the same recording of the duet from "Thais" AND "Vesti la giubba" at least twice in as many days. Please, please get more variety going...
Thanks!

Jan. 12 2012 12:32 PM

I've listened to a little bit of the opera stream on the computer, and am impressed. However, my computer plays it very softly even with the sound volume at one hundred percent.

The station database for my internet radio doesn't list the Operavore station, so I can't program it to play on the radio. Will the station be available on internet radios soon?

Jan. 11 2012 04:56 PM
Philip Friedland from Budd Lake, NJ

Operavore is one the nicest things that has become available to me for many years; I really enjoy the Russian bass singers,

Jan. 11 2012 08:30 AM
Gwen Sengpiehl from Topeka, Kansas

Three cheers for WQXR. Keep up the good music. Operavore and more!

Jan. 10 2012 10:28 PM
Jeffrey Gross from Brooklyn

Since QXR often dismembers pieces and plays arbitrary excerpts, i.e. individual movements yanked out of their context, let's hope that here at least they'll deign to play entire operas.

Jan. 10 2012 06:16 PM
Kurt Blaihut from TRAIL B.C. Canada

WQXR has always been a wonderful station for the classical music lover. The opera stream was recommended to me by a friend in new york and I love him for it , The selections and artists warm the hearts of all opera lovers. Cannot wait for some complete opera recorsdings. All best wishes.

Jan. 10 2012 12:11 PM
Sandy from Peterborough, NH

Thank you! Thank you! I love it. Can't stop listening. I seem to be able to see what's playing just fine, which allows me the fun of seeing if I guessed right about which singer I'm hearing. You have allowed me to bring what I've loved best about New York to New Hampshire where FM reception doesn't exist. I also prefer more music and less talk, although Midge's comments are like letters from home to me.

Jan. 09 2012 08:40 PM
Tim from New YOrk

Is via computer the only way to hear the opera stream?

Jan. 09 2012 07:25 PM
Jan Schwartz from Vacaville, California

Thank you, thank you again. I've been listening since 3 pm ET and have greatly enjoyed the variety of pieces and performers! Keep up the good work. I LOVED hearing "Nixon in China" and the "Die Fledermaus" with Walter Berry, et. al.
And thanks for listing all the information we need to identify what we're listening to. It's wonderful to hear new voices I've not encountered and to hear old friends (see "Walter Berry" above).

Please, please keep the variety going! If you want requests, let us know ...

Jan. 09 2012 06:16 PM
Tim Taffe..Iowa City from Iowa City Iowa

THANK YOU for "Nixon in China" today!!..NO,You are not stuck in Great Italien Opera!...Will OPERAVORE continue??..or is it a one month wonder experiment??
AND..Obvious from Member addresses.. "WQXR" are America's Classic Stations"

Jan. 09 2012 03:13 PM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

As I feared, the connection on my computer is far from optimal, and I get a minute or two of music followed by several more minutes of silence.
I do agree with "Bif Strongarm", though, in saying that this better not be a ploy to to justify playig less (if less is possible!) vocal music on the main station.

Jan. 09 2012 01:58 PM
Julia de Bary from Kearny, NJ

Thank you WQXR - Great idea, well done!
Can not thnig to be with out this radio station.....
From the button of my heart: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

Jan. 09 2012 12:49 PM
arepo from PA

How wonderful! A 24/7 online streaming to assuage my magnificent obsession.
I just put my money where my mouth is.
Thanks and gratitude!

Jan. 09 2012 10:03 AM
Anthony Sbordoni from New York City

Alas, what at first seemed wonderfully exciting has revealed a bit of tarnish. It appears that the programming has centered more or less on Italian opera of the 19th Century and verismo periods. There have been lesser snatches of French, German and some recent music. Moreover, the playlist has been a loop of about the same 8 hours of music. Can we expect this to be expanded in the future? I'd assumed that the selections on offer -- given the fashion in which the site was being promoted -- would be a continually evolving cornocupia of music. Mind you, I'm grateful the site exists, but wondering what we can expect following its launch.

Jan. 09 2012 05:18 AM
Sigurdsun from Lewisburg, West Virginia

Thanks, this is almost better than being born. Your playlist does not always sync very well with the selection. It is especially problematic when your station identification airs. The playlist locks up. I have tried intuiting what I need to do to stop this problem for the last several hours, but it is a mystery to me.

Jan. 08 2012 08:58 PM
Jim Folliard from Oakland,NJ

I just found your channel and am loving it. I can not find it listed among my internet radio station on my logitech duet. I use this to play it on my audio system. I also noted that you are transmitting ~96 kbs/sec. Any plans to up the quality. I am retired and could spend my day listing to your station. I will certainly increase my contribution to the station for this most worthy addition to your programing

Jan. 08 2012 04:50 PM
Judith Sebestyen from Boston, MA

Thank you so much (tongue having been carefully removed from cheek before replying)!

Jan. 08 2012 04:51 AM
BILLY NAME from POUGHKEEPSIE, NY

GRAZIE TANTO!!

Jan. 08 2012 03:25 AM

Utterly heavenly. Thank you for opening the gates to riches of this vocal artistry while I putter away at home.

Jan. 07 2012 10:53 PM
Bif Strongarm from UES

If I may raise a dissenting voice here: I find it troubling that WQXR has decided to ghettoize opera into a webstream apart from its regular programming (Saturday opera aside). It's the same thing they've done with contemporary music, pushing it off on Q2 instead of showing a healthy commitment to vital works of our time. Classical music can't always be a museum of instrumental chestnuts - it has to be a lot of things. Yes, the stream is a nice thing for opera fans but I hope it doesn't lead to further marginalization of vocal music from the rest of the programming.

Jan. 07 2012 10:31 PM
WQXR

@Judith - Here's the link to our playlist page for Operavore:

This will display the piece details as it's playing (24/7 no less).

Hope that helps.

Jan. 07 2012 06:14 PM
Judith Sebestyen from Boston, MA

Oh, so you want me to work for my pleasure. ;-) Thanks for your advice. (But I can't help but wish that the programming information was automatically available as the piece was playing. You know how it is - at first, we didn't have opera at all during the week. Now that we do, and, mind you, it's been for less than 24 hours, we're already demanding more and more. Thank you for putting up with our never-ending demands, and, most especially, for giving us the wonderful gift of opera 24/7. (Did I actually write 24/7 instead of something like round the clock? Oh, my goodness, WQXR, are you pushing me into the vernacular?))

Jan. 07 2012 06:01 PM
Edward from New Jersey

This is a dream come true for many of us. I do hope this is here to stay.

Jan. 07 2012 04:42 PM
DC from Tallahassee FL

I'm finding it difficult to see a current playlist. Also, the "On Air" list does not stay current with what is being played. I need to know the opera and singers' names! Operavore Stream is my answer to Serius radio! Thanks so much for adding this feature!

Jan. 07 2012 04:33 PM
Cathryn D'Arcy from Chattanooga, TN

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Operavore is a little piece of heaven on Earth!

Jan. 07 2012 04:22 PM
WQXR

@H. - to listen to the Operavore stream, go to the top of any page on our web site and click on the tab that reads "Operavore." From there, simply click on the play button to the left and the music will start.

@Judith - to find out what music is playing (or has played) click on the "full schedule and playlists" link and that will take you to our playlist page.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of your comments!

Jan. 07 2012 04:22 PM
H. Rosenberg from Dobbs Ferry, NY

Maybe it is me, and my limited ability to work websites. But I can't seem to see a way to listen in on the Operavore steaming. HELP!

Jan. 07 2012 03:57 PM
David Smith from Bowling Green, KY

Thank you so much, WQXR. This is a wonderful idea and will bring much enjoyment to many of us.

Jan. 07 2012 03:57 PM
Mary Jane Hodge from Melville, NY

I love it, I love it - and I really like Midge - leave her alone Arnie - sophisticated people are not snobs.

Jan. 07 2012 03:33 PM
Joann Krieg from NYC

Bravo, qxr!!! Bravi tutti!

Jan. 07 2012 03:01 PM
Luis m Gallinat from Newark, NJ

What a great idea, i will be enjoying it for a long time to come, thanks wqxr

Jan. 07 2012 02:30 PM
Judith Sebestyen from Boston, MA

Hurrah!!!! Though, of course, this makes my life a little more complicated. I stream WQXR at work. Colleagues who come by inevitably comment (favourably) on the "pretty" music; I wonder if they'll take to opera as readily as solely instrumental music??? Hmmmm. And can I accustom myself to leaping from Orfeo e Eurydice to Don Giovanni to Norma, with barely a moment to pause for breath, as has happened while I'm writing this? I hope that I can, but - memo to the programmers - please keep the catalogue information up-to-date. I'm listening to Casta Diva, but the notes say that this is Orpheus and Eurydice, and only indicate the name of the orchestra and the conductor. Who's singing?!!!! Given that the playlist was planned in advance, I don't understand why it's so difficult to keep this information current. Though, I must say, I have the same criticism of the live stream; the programming is planned, not spontaneous, so why do we have to stare at a screen that tells us how long Midge Woolsey, and others, have been working at WQXR, instead of reading details about what we're listening to. Mini rant aside, I'm delighted with this new addition to WQXR's programming. Thank you!!!

Jan. 07 2012 01:45 PM
Freddy from NYC

In defense of Midge Woolsey, I like her a lot!
and this is a great idea...thanks, WQXR

Jan. 07 2012 01:29 PM
operaticwolverine from Ann Arbor, MI

Thank you, thank you, thank you with much appreciation!

Jan. 07 2012 01:16 PM
Carla from Greenwich Village

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jan. 07 2012 12:58 PM
Elihu Sussman

I listen to streaming music on my blackberry using the tunein app. will operavore be available thru tunein.

Jan. 07 2012 12:07 PM
arnie fein from NYC

Excellent. Now,hopefully, we can listen to some music w/o the endlessly cloying Midge Woosley telling us how she feels about a piece of music and how we should feel about it because the weather is warm,hot cool,cold,etc.Ms. Woosley can't clear her throat w/o unctuously editorializing about it. NY's only classical music station deserves someone more sophisticated.

Jan. 07 2012 12:00 PM
Jan Schwartz from Vacaville, CA

Bravo! And Thank You! I am looking forward to many hours of enjoyment...
Please be sure to list the name of the artist and the piece in the playlist.

Jan. 07 2012 11:52 AM
Jim from Westchester County

Sounds great. Will we be able to make suggestions on what to hear?
What will be the sources, just your library or any media?

Jan. 07 2012 11:39 AM
Ann St. George from Sarasota , FL

I'm happy!

Jan. 07 2012 09:50 AM
Diana Whitsit

Thank you.......

Jan. 07 2012 09:26 AM
Philip from Netherlands

The holiday programming was a treat! And now opera 24/7? Brilliant!! Simply brilliant!!!

Jan. 07 2012 08:29 AM
Lindd from NYC

Yippee! It's about time! Now maybe I can hear some Leotyne Price, Grace Bumbry, Shirley Verrett, Beverly Sills, Marilyn Horne,,,the list goes on and on. Also selections from operas other than Boheme and Carmen...Thanks WQXR!

Jan. 07 2012 06:44 AM
FRED CLARK from GREENWICH CT.

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE A LONG TIME AGO

Jan. 07 2012 06:00 AM
Steven Lanser from Upper Manhattan

This is a great concept, because it will help me to learn more about opera. Although I'm a classical music listener and choral singer, I've never been a real opera buff, but I have become more interested in the art form lately.

Jan. 06 2012 05:05 PM
Saeid Jalilvand from New York

What a great idea, I can't wait another day.

Jan. 06 2012 01:14 PM