Saturday Morning Cartoons: Debussy's Deleted Fantasia Scene

Saturday, February 25, 2012

French composer Claude Debussy's Suite bergamasque may be one of his most famous piano suites, but its third movement, Clair de Lune, unfortunately landed on the Fantasia cutting room floor.

Translating to "moonlight," this deleted scene features a tranquil moonlit walk.

Tam from Atlanta

To paraphrase the old Cheech and Chong line, Don't go straight to watch this film clip!

Feb. 25 2012 02:03 PM
Redrdr from Peoria, IL

Simply beautiful. Fantasia is one of the most wonderous pieces of art I've ever seen and getting to see a "new" piece literally brought tears to my eyes. Thank you!

Feb. 25 2012 12:51 PM
NYMike from Manhattan

Thank you! thank you! thank you! As a little kid, I saw Fantasia in its premiere run. It was my introduction to the Rite of Spring (truncated as it was). All the musicians on this 70+ year-old track are presumably gone - some were also famous teachers at the Curtis Institute in Philly.

Feb. 25 2012 12:42 PM

Very nice - a beautiful serene moment. A shame that it was cut; it would have made a nice contrast to the more active passages.

Feb. 25 2012 12:15 PM
Lee from Garden City Sout

Favorite part of Saturday morning is listening to Elliott Forrest's choice of the music for Saturday's cartoon and then seeing that cartoon later on my computer.

Feb. 25 2012 11:48 AM
Michael Schlesinger from Winter Park, FL formerly Summit, NJ

WOW!

Feb. 25 2012 11:44 AM
Adam from Long Island

This is so beautiful. I think it really captures the 'impression' of the moonlight in visual and musical form. Anna - I agree, I prefer the sort of dark, low-key palettes to the crowded and bright animation styles today. Not that they're bad, they just come from a different time period, but the animation is more a work of art than a 'cartoon.'

Feb. 25 2012 10:05 AM
Anna Taylor Sweringen from Brooklyn, NY

Has there every been a documentary or a book made on the making of this wonderful film? I loved to hear about the animators in particular. Something marvelous was lost when this type of animation stopped being Disney's standard. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Feb. 25 2012 09:12 AM
Manuel Macarrulla from Brooklyn

What piece played before the Chopin Berceuse in D flat, Op. 57? If I don't find out I'll expire.

Feb. 25 2012 07:19 AM