Chicago Symphony Orchestra Opening Night Gala

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The second season of Carnegie Hall Live kicked off Wednesday, Oct. 3, at 7 pm, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, which opens and closes with the often cinematically cited "O Fortuna."

Under the direction of Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director and conductor Riccardo Muti, the performance featured soprano Rosa Feola; countertenor Antonio Giovannini; baritone Audun Iverson; the Chicago Symphony Chorus led by chorus director Duain Wolfe; and the Chicago Children's Choir led by artistic director Josephine Lee.

WQXR's Jeff Spurgeon and American Public Media's Fred Child hosted the broadcast live from Carnegie Hall.

BONUS AUDIO: Listen to the unedited broadcast opening interviews with Riccardo Muti and others about Carmina Burana:

Below is the archive of our live chat, through which listeners could participate on Twitter by using the hashtag #CHLive.

Kim Nowacki/WQXR
Renée Fleming talks with WQXR's Jeff Spurgeon at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala on Oct. 3, 2012.
Kim Nowacki/WQXR
Clive Gillinson, executive and artistic director of Carnegie Hall, at at season opener gala.
Kim Nowacki/WQXR
A patron at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala.
Kim Nowacki/WQXR
Longtime New York Times fashion photographer Bill Cunningham doing his thing at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala.
Kim Nowacki/WQXR
Renée Fleming at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala.
Kim Nowacki/WQXR
Marilyn Horne at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala.
Kim Nowacki/WQXR
WQXR's assistant producer Aaron Dalton and host Jeff Spurgeon at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala.
Torsten Kjellstrand for NPR
The bustling Carnegie Hall lobby on the first night of its 2012-13 season.
Torsten Kjellstrand for NPR
Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director and conductor Riccardo Muti.
Torsten Kjellstrand for NPR
The Chicago Symphony Chorus led by chorus director Duain Wolfe.
Torsten Kjellstrand for NPR
The Chicago Children's Choir, in the balcony, led by artistic director Josephine Lee.
Torsten Kjellstrand for NPR
The packed stage for Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana.'

<script>alert(123)</script>

Nov. 09 2012 05:22 PM

</li>

Nov. 09 2012 05:20 PM
Maria Fattore from NYC

Had I known this event was scheduled, I would have attended it live. Muti is a genius, and the clarity of his performance is in stark contrast to the clarity we were offered during the Presidential Debate. Thank you WQXR for having the foresight to make this available on demand!

Oct. 08 2012 04:19 PM
John Braden from NYC

Nazi's and Orff: no such thing ever existed. Carl Orff was a musician first. When the 1936 German Olympics was being planned, the Berlin Olympic Committed decided to enlarge the 'Olympic Competitive events Medal' to include "Dance" as an Olympic Event. Rudol VON Laban was put in charge of organizing the participating dancers and companies. That aspect of the Olympics was to begin before the actual Olympic Events at the newly built stadium was to open. "Von" Laban was to choreography the opening ceremony and closing ceremonies, as well as the opening of the Greek styled hill stadium where the dance events were to be commemorated. Laban commissioned Carl Orff to write music to be used in all the events planned. Hitler gave orders that only GERMANS were to be considered to be given "Olympic Medals" to . . . all other nationalities were to be ignored. Laban would not agree to go along with this dictate. Before the first event could be given, Laban was removed from any danced choreography could be performed because Hitler considered Laban opposed to his idea of Germany's supremacy.
Carl Orff's music was used for all the planned events. At the conclusion of the Olympics, Laban was fired from his position and was put in punishment that was a forced exile, which he managed to escape to Paris, France, for a dance event, and then with Kurt Jooss' subsity eventually to England where he discarded the German "VON" from his name.
Carl Orff destroyed any and all music that he had composed for the 1936 German Olympics so there would be no record of his involvement in that event.
He than went on to create "Carmina Burana" as a 'Medival Tale' that had nothing to do with Germany or Nazi concepts.
Trying to align Carl Orff with Nazi ideals is like trying to tie him up as a lame duck with stupid comparisons.

Oct. 06 2012 03:34 PM
t.k

Carmina Burana is a great piece of music and to label it only defines the labeler.Do we call Munich's "The Scream" an ad for horror films or Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet " a cause de celebre for teenage romance?Gore Vidal called it banal,but does'nt that say more about him than the music.If Carmina stirs something inside us,then it is beyond man's attempts to define it.

Oct. 06 2012 10:58 AM
Donghyun Park from New Jersey

Tempo, tempo, tempo! I really didn't like the tempo of the first one. I would have been disappointed very much if I went there.

Oct. 06 2012 03:40 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

Here's a tip of the hat to the Great Chorus, Small Chorus and Boys' Chorus. There was no surprise that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra plays sublimely and that Maestro Muti is a world-class conductor. I thought the dynamics were scrupulously observed throughout: mnny other conductors opt for "grandstanding" (playing fortissimo) almost throughout. I was surprised that in No. 12, "Olim lacus colueram", the countertenor sung an octave below what's written, (or so it seemed to me), I suppose the better to secure the high D's. The high A's and the B above middle C that the baritone sings in No. 16 "Dies, nox et omnia", especially impressed. I wouldn't mind if those passages were sung by the tenor alternating with the baritone in the more natural range, as Leopold Stokowski chose, in his recording with the Houston Symphony Orchestra. But such obviously was not necessary as this performance demonstrated. I confess I did miss not hearing accelerandos at the end of each verse No. 18 "Circa mea pectora". Still, I'm sure everyone present had a good time. I certainly did.

Oct. 05 2012 04:07 PM
Yamil Dutra from Gramado, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Wonderful being present, at least virtually, at this great hall with superb music! My wife and I never miss a visit to the Carnegie when in NYC. Thank you so much for making a cold drizly evening, here in the mountains of Rio Grande do Sul, a magnificent event.
Best regards from Gramado, RS Brazil

Oct. 04 2012 09:19 PM
Anita from Florida

Enjoyed Carmina Burana tonight and missing Carnegie Hall & all the gifted artists, terribly.

From Florida,
Anita

Oct. 03 2012 08:46 PM
MaryJo Cally from Chicagoland

This was a FANTASTIC opportunity to hear my CSO right here in my home! Thank you!

Oct. 03 2012 08:36 PM
Patty from Des Plaines, IL

This has been a very special performance especially because my Niece is in the Childrens Choir. What a spectacular job Ricardo Muti has done.

Oct. 03 2012 08:23 PM
Alonso Alegría from Lima, Peru

I dont't want to be a party-pooper but I thought I heard the soprano not making the highest note of "Dulcissime" and the chorus not making the high notes of the last two parts. Still, a very passionate performance, but...

Oct. 03 2012 08:16 PM
M Camporeale from East Villsge, NYC

I have 4 radios on plus this P.C., and I am so excited as I have requested this piece to be played foreveer on "my selection" and never came to be. So hearing it LIVE with Mr. Muti conducting the Chicago Symphoney on opening night at Carnegie hALL IS MORE THAN I COULD of asked..// thank you thank you...Madeline Camporeale P.S> I have much more to say but not now. I"ll write again if interested....MC

Oct. 03 2012 08:13 PM