The Holiday Channel Returns with Carols, Festive Favorites

Saturday, December 01, 2012

Christmas tree ornament (Flickr/scottfidd)

LISTEN TO THE WQXR HOLIDAY CHANNEL

WQXR is getting into the Christmas spirit with the return of our annual all-classical holiday channel. Starting Saturday, Dec. 1 through January 6, we'll stream continuous seasonal music, 24/7.

Expect beloved carols and festive winter songs; opulent orchestral arrangements and pared-down period ensembles; grandiose choirs and intimate chamber groups.

→ View the playlist in real-time

Along with numerous classics from Christmases past, we'll be featuring new releases. A selective sampling:

• Christmas with Los Romeros (DG)
  • Nine Lessons and Carols: The Choir of King's College Cambridge and Stephen Cleobury, conductor (KGS label)
  • Sacrum Mysterium - A Celtic Christmas Vespers: Apollo's Fire and Jeannette Sorrell, conductor plus Ensemble La Nef and Sylvain Bergeron, director
  • Messiah: the Tafelmusiik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir, conducted by Ivars Taurins

PF from Queens ny

Thank you for the beautiful scriptural Christmas selections. They are timeless!
Dr Fanning

Jan. 05 2013 03:45 PM
John J. Roswell

I receive your (and WNYC) e-mails at the above address. I also make a $12.50 automatic monthly contribution, charged to my Visa card. When I enter this email address in the "forgot password" page, the response is that there is no account associated with this address.

Also, on the pledge screen, there is no separate section for increasing a current contribution. I'm afraid that if I enter a new monthly amount, two charges will be made each month, the old and new.

Dec. 26 2012 07:06 PM
Arthur Pawlowski from Upstate NY

So tasteful I can taste it!

Dec. 25 2012 06:10 PM

@Richie on the Mainland (O Enlightened One)

Thanks for the condescension.

Dec. 23 2012 05:24 PM
David Otley from Jersey Shore

Is there any remote possibility of rebroadcasting the 9 Lessons & Carols from Kings College Cambridge, we were "upside down" when up originally broadcast, please let me know. Thanks, keep up the excellent work!! As an Ex-Pat Englishman I get very low and homesick at Christmas time.

Dec. 17 2012 07:04 PM
Mabel from New York

Thanks for the Holiday Programming. Just wonderful!

Dec. 11 2012 01:52 PM
Classical Cowpokes from Dallas TX

We just let the Holiday Stream play and wash over us while going about our day. The variety of selections and its portability are wonderful. Our dogs like it, too. (four paws up)

Dec. 09 2012 03:54 PM
Pete from NJ

Re: Thomas D'Amico from Centerport, NY

But a myth just the same. Tis a great season, though, and this is great music.

Dec. 08 2012 09:23 AM
Barry Owen Furrer

Thank you WQXR for your annual holiday treat! Perhaps the progamming director at XM Classical Pops now Holiday Traditions channel 75 could follow your lead. Happy December holidays to all and a happy and healthy new year!

Dec. 07 2012 08:51 PM
Judy Cooper from Westchester County, NY

Joyful and dignified stream of holiday music. Bravo WQXR!

Dec. 05 2012 07:26 AM
Paul from Fairview, NJ

Thank God for WQXR!I just received my first Christmas gift with the Holiday Channel. Thanks.

Dec. 04 2012 09:01 PM
Lee King from Franklin, Tennessee

I'm a very grateful listener in Tennessee! This marks the third year I have enjoyed your Christmas stream! This is tops in making the Christmas season special for me.

Dec. 04 2012 03:31 PM

Your question makes me ponder, that in any given household there may be, as in mine, a musiician and a non-musician. Further, I am a "retired" church musician, so I have performed much Advent and Christmas music. The reason for the quotes around retired, is that I think with most musicians we are making music until we are uable to. (I'm 73 and still able to play most everything I could when younger.) Thanx for the quality Christmas music. Ed

Dec. 04 2012 02:29 PM
Robert Galvin from New York, NY

Thank you, WQXR. The stream is marvelous, though it perhaps could do with a bit more Bach.
Merry Christmas!

Dec. 04 2012 09:58 AM
Anyela from Wales, UK

Thanks WQXR, you're just amazing!

Dec. 03 2012 05:48 AM
Thomas D'Amico from Centerport, NY

Re: Richie on the mainland (A.K.A. Science Man)

Umm...in regards to your statement, "It reflexes the mystery of the season that our ancestors pondered and tried to answer, vainly with middle eastern myths."

The "middle eastern myths" didn’t do such a bad job establishing the university system and the scientific method. The fruits of which created unrivaled advances in science, architecture, art, literature, philosophy, not to mention, much of the music you enjoy on WQXR…in other words, western civilization.

Not bad for a 2000 year old running "myth." Enjoy your solstice.

Dec. 02 2012 03:48 PM
Gev Sweeney from The Jersey Shore

Nice to see this here again. Helps to make things feel a little "normal" after Sandy. Thanks.

Dec. 01 2012 02:01 PM
Richie on the mainland

Perfect for the winter solstice. It reflexes the mystery of the season that our ancestors pondered and tried to answer, vainly with middle eastern myths. Fortunately science has provided the answers. We can still enjoy the season. The beautiful music that was created, gift giving ,lighted evergreen trees, good food and drink, fellowship of family and friends. The magic of Santa Claus. Thank you all at WQXR and to all a good night.

Dec. 01 2012 12:48 PM
Bob Mason from Virginia

The WunderRadio app on my IPOD Touch (also works on iPhone) was able to find the Christmas music stream. Thank you WQXR!

Dec. 01 2012 12:05 PM
Thomas V. Arnoldi from Mechanicsburg, PA

My Internet radio still displays "All Beethoven" for your "Holiday Channel." Please correct this as I have many friends who will listen to your "Holiday Channel" if only they could find it.

"TuneIn," an App for iPhone does not even list you.

Your music on Saturday morning from 8 to 10:30 was not up to your standard of previous years in that it sounded like I was shopping in Bloomingdales.

Finally, you played some Palestrina at 10:25. "Frosty the Snowman" in counterpoint from the Northern Lights Orchestra is not serious. Come on.

I am hoping fervently that you will return to the excellence you have offered in previous years.

Dec. 01 2012 10:56 AM
WQXR

@Roberta and @Artie - You are correct, this is not for the regular station which you can always count on to be here at WQXR.org. We've ended our Beethoven month and moved forward with a month long Holiday Music channel. Enjoy!

Dec. 01 2012 10:24 AM
joe

awesome of you guys thanks so much- why not until Jan 14th ? The Baptisim of the Lord?

Dec. 01 2012 07:52 AM
Artie from Aurora, Co

Roberta, Looks like it is replacing the all-Beethoven stream. When I click on the listen link in the article, it currently goes to Beethoven. So, I think the regular steam will still be there.

Nov. 30 2012 07:07 PM
roberta carr from new york city

That's not for the regular station, I hope!! If not, well, I guess I won't be listening to WQXR for the month of December!!!!!

rc