WQXR's 2012 Holiday Programming

Friday, December 07, 2012

WQXR is pleased to present special programming throughout the 2012 holiday season. Here is a calendar of the Chanukah and Christmas specials that you will hear in December.

UPDATED: December 24

Dec. 1 - Jan. 6, WQXR Holiday Channel Online at WQXR.ORG
WQXR is getting into the holiday spirit with an all-classical Christmas channel (listen). Now through Jan. 6, the WQXR Holiday Channel will stream continuous seasonal favorites. From beloved carols to festive winter favorites, our stream includes classic recordings from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Philadelphia Brass and Robert Shaw, as well as new releases from John Rutter, Jeffrey Biegel and more.

Dec. 24 - 10 am: A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols
Hosted by Michael Barone, this is a live broadcast from the chapel of King’s College in Cambridge, England where the 30-voice King’s College Choir performs the legendary Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols service of Biblical readings and music.

Dec. 24 - 3 pm: St. Olaf Christmas Festival
A service in song and word that has become one of the nation’s most cherished holiday traditions. The festival includes hymns, carols, choral works and orchestral selections celebrating the Nativity and featuring more than 500 student singers and the St. Olaf Orchestra.

Dec. 24 - 5 pm: Trinity Church Choir, The Messiah
Music director Julian Wachner conducts Handel’s classic oratorio, which received its New World premiere at Trinity Church in 1770. Our annual broadcast is hosted by David Garland with guest commentator Kent Tritle.

Dec. 24 - 8 pm: The New Yorker’s Christmas with Nimet Habachy
One of the great WQXR traditions: Nimet Habachy’s reflections on Christmas in New York.

Dec. 24 - 9 pm: A Christmas Carol
Produced and directed by WQXR’s Elliott Forrest, the Charles Dickens masterpiece is brought to life by Brian Cox as Scrooge and an all-star cast of NYPR hosts.

Dec. 25 - 5:30 am: Calmus Christmas
Jeff Spurgeon hosts the Calmus Ensemble of Leipzig for Christmas carols and seasonal favorites.

Dec. 25 - 6 am (encore at 5 pm): The New Yorker’s Christmas with Nimet Habachy

Dec. 25 - 7 am: A Chanticleer Christmas
A Chanticleer Christmas is American Public Media's one-hour celebration of the season as told through the glorious voices of Chanticleer, the 12-voice San Francisco-based men's choir. The program spans the globe and the centuries — from England in the 1300s to new arrangements of classic contemporary carols. And no Chanticleer program would be complete without Joseph Jenning's patented Christmas spirituals arrangements.

Dec. 25 - 8 am: Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker
Pirouette into Christmas morning with the Tchaikovsky classic.

Dec. 25 - 10 am: Christmastime in New York
Alla Francesca performs music from the French Baroque. Recorded live in New York City.

Dec. 25 - 11 am: Christmastime in New York
Kent Tritle leads the choir from St. John the Divine at the Met Museum. Recorded live in New York City.

Dec. 25 - noon: Christmastime in New York
the Vienna Boys Choir present an evening of carols and hymns. Recorded live in New York City.

Dec. 25 - 1 pm: Trinity Church Choir, The Messiah

Dec. 25 - 4: Operavore Christmas
Enjoy an hour of Christmas and holiday pieces sung by opera stars like Marilyn Horne, Bryn Terfel, Joan Sutherland and more.

Dec. 25 - 6 pm: A Christmas Carol

Dec. 25 - 4 pm: An Early Music & Baroque Christmas
Holiday oldies! Host David Garland presents an hour of Christmas and wintertime music from medieval, Renaissance and Baroque eras.

Dec. 25 - 9 pm: Movies on the Radio
David Garland celebrates the holiday with soundtracks from Christmas favorites like "It’s a Wonderful Life," "The Bishop’s Wife" and "Miracle on 34th Street."

Dec. 25 - 9 pm: The Choral Mix with Kent Tritle: Xmas Mix!
Hosted by the conductor the New York Times called “the brightest star in New York’s choral music world,” The Choral Mix with Kent Tritle explores the vibrant and transformative world of choral music. This week: music for Christmas!

Dec. 28-31: Classical Countdown
Every year WQXR asks its listeners, “What is your favorite piece of classical music?” Based on your responses at WQXR.org, we close out 2012 by counting down the 105 most-requested pieces. Four days of competitive classical countdown action!

Jan. 1 - 11 am: New Year’s Day Live from Vienna
Waltz (and polka) into the New Year with the Vienna Philharmonic and a live broadcast from the Golden Hall of the Musikverein.

Pierre from Montreal, Quebec

Great Holiday season's music Stop tonight I think. Merci beaucoup WQXR

Jan. 06 2013 02:16 PM
Kevin from Chicago

The Holiday streaming is quite simple the best, the most outstanding offering of Holiday music around. I hope that you will model music around holidays throughout the year.

Jan. 03 2013 02:43 PM
Lee King from Franklin, Tennessee

I am still receiving the Holiday Stream and am thrilled it is running the full 12 Days of Christmas. I am savoring every minute of it. Thank you WQXR!

Jan. 02 2013 04:40 PM

I thought that the holiday stream was up through Jan 6?
It has been a great pleasure!

Steve

Jan. 01 2013 09:18 PM
Rob from Western NJ

Whither the Holiday stream?

Jan. 01 2013 05:22 AM

Where is the Holiday Channel streaming that was supposed to run through Jan 6th? It's only overnight on Jan 1st, and the Holiday stream is gone from the top of the WQXR Home page? What happened?

Jan. 01 2013 03:03 AM
Marlaine Member from NYC

Among the greatest of gifts at this sacred time of year, Christmastide, is its enduring message of peace, joy, hope, and eternal, unconditional love. Music is a testimony to its sublime legacy, for no greater art form exists: Music transcends language, distance, cultural and social moires, time and space. Thank you, WQXR, for bringing such treasures in a world full of "things" too often bereft of real meaning or value. And thank you, thank you, thank you, for hearing the hearts of your many listeners, those of us who asked that you respect, represent and adhere to the real meaning--and tradition--of this season, the Twelve Days of Christmas, from Christ's birth through his adoration of the Magi, the Feast of the Epiphany.

Dec. 28 2012 06:32 PM
Kristen Bloschak from Belleville, NJ

This is directed at David Garland. I just wanted to thank you for your program each week. I really look forward to it, and all of the older music you usually play. I used to complain to my parents all the time that there was so much modern and romantic classical and not enough classical era, baroque, or renaissance/medieval on WQXR. I mean, other hosts play some, but it's hard to know when or if each host will on any given day, and it's seemed like lately they are playing mostly romantic and modern music. Maybe I'm just listening at the wrong times, but whatever. And I guess my tastes in the older music aren't the most popular? I can't help it though, there are exceptions but generally I don't like romantic or modern classical. But so far- at least each time that I've heard your program- it's filled with the older music.
Right now your Early Music and Baroque Christmas program just ended, and it was wonderful. I'm so happy you played In Dulci Jubilo twice- and in the original German- it's my favorite Christmas song. All the song selections were great though, beautiful and uplifting.
So thank you again for making my Christmas great, and I can't wait for more of your show this weekend.

Dec. 25 2012 08:04 PM
Allyson from NYC

So Harmonious....Thankyou.

Dec. 22 2012 09:10 AM
Alice Morris from NYC

Beautiful.

Dec. 22 2012 09:02 AM
Carolyn from New York City

The new music that is represented as "Christmas Music" by Christopher Taylor is a totally depressing downer. How could you pick such depressing miserable music for a season that is supposed to be joyous? I cannot tell you how glad I was when 9 0'clock came and it ended. At one point it was so awful I turned the radio off. Please save this type of music for the wee hours of the morning so the general listener is spared the esoteric experience of this "new contemplative" musical genre'.

Dec. 19 2012 09:02 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha, NJ from Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, Boonton, NJD

HANDEL'S ORATORIOS ARE THE MOST REVERED OF HIS COMPOSITIONS. ONE THAT IS NOT AS OFTEN PERFORMED AS IT DESERVES TO BE IS HIS "JUDAS MACCABAEUS." ITS "SOUND AN ALARM"' IS STIRRING. IT'S MY CLOSING SELECTION ON MY SOLO DEBUT IN THE ISAAC STERN AUDITORIUM OF CARNEGIE HALL CONCERT "{LIVE" ON MY VALHALLA RECORDS CD AND MAY BE DOWNLOADED FROM MY THREE WEBSITES. MOST CLASSICAL MUSIC, INCLUDING CHRISTMAS CAROLS, THE MESSIAH, ELIJAH, BACH'S CANTATAS, HYMNS AND MOTETS AND OPERAS LIKE BOHEME AND TRAVIATA THAT HAVE ALLUSIONS TO CHRISTMAS AND COMIC OR JOLLY OPERAS LIKE THE BARBER, L'ELISIR, CENERENTOLA AND DIE MEISTERSINGER AND PARTICULARLY HOUSEHOLD "CHESTNUTS" ARE EXCELLENT INGREDIENTS FOR A MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! , My cousin MICHAEL BLANKFORT wrote both the books and screenplays for the 1953 film THE JUGGLER Hollywood film made in Israel starring KIRK DOUGLAS and the 1950 Hollywood film BROKEN ARROW starring JAMES STEWART and JEFF CHANDLER [Cochise]. The music for THE JUGGLER was composed by opera composer GEORGE ANTHEIL, in whose opera VOLPONE I sang the tenor leading role [Mosca] in its professional world premiere in NEW YORK in 1953. ANTHEIL, famous for his opera TRANSATLANTIC and BALLET MECHANIQUE looked exactly like Peter Lorre. I am a romantischer heldentenor. I have sung four solo concerts in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall. As part of my Ten Language Solo Debut concert at the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall, I opened my three hour concert with the Invocazione di Orfeo from Jacopo Peri's opera EURIDICE composed in 1600, the first opera, composed in the same year as Shakespeare wrote HAMLET. It can be heard from the live performance on my three websites, www.WagnerOpera.com, , www.ShakespeareOpera.com, and
www.RichardWagnerMusicDramaInstitute.com. It received rave critical notices in newspapers and magazines. My voice teachers were the legendary MET OPERA singers Alexander Kipnis, Friedrich Schorr, Martial Singher, John Brownlee, Karin Branzell and Margarete Matzenauer. In another commentary on wqxr.org one commented about all operas that were once NEW but now not new anymore should be archived like museum pieces. That implies that just being new is better than old. As an opera composer myself ["Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare"] I fully comprehend the assumed urgency of recognition of the still living. However, I would not trade any living composer for Bach, Beethoven, Mpzart, Verdi, Puccini or Wagner. Revere and enjoy the MASTERPIECES of art, music, literature, architecture and science in its multiple formats . I am the director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute in Boonton, NJ where I train actors in all the Shakespeare roles and big-voiced singers in all the Wagner opera roles.

Dec. 14 2012 09:26 PM