Coming Soon: The Operavore Radio Show on WQXR

Show to Air Saturdays at 12:30 pm on 105.9 FM and WQXR.org

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Marilyn Horne at the Carnegie Hall season opener gala. (Kim Nowacki/WQXR)

A new year brings a new show on WQXR. Starting January 19, Operavore unveils a new 30-minute radio show devoted entirely to the world of opera.

Airing every Saturday at 12:30pm ET on 105.9 FM and on WQXR.org, the new show extends Operavore’s online offerings, which include the blog you’re reading now, and our all-opera webstream.

Hosted by WQXR’s Naomi Lewin, Operavore aims to keep its finger on the pulse of the opera scene. We'll offer news bulletins from the around the globe, previews of new recordings, and interviews with the players and personalities on the scene.

Marilyn Horne, the legendary mezzo-soprano, will be on hand each week to give an insider’s take on stories and productions, as well as to interview bold-faced names from outside the opera space. Initial guests will include playwright Terrence McNally (Master Class and Golden Age); US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg; and beloved star of TV and stage, Tyne Daly, who performed the role of Maria Callas in McNally’s Master Class on their personal relationship with the genre.

Weekly commentary will be provided by La Cieca, the alter ego of critic and opera enthusiast James Jordan, who presides over the popular opera fan website, Parterre Box. Operavore blogger Fred Plotkin will also provide commentary and insight.

The radio show will launch as a limited-run series to complement WQXR’s weekly broadcasts of live and recorded full-length works from the world’s major opera houses, including the Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, San Francisco Opera, Los Angeles Opera and Houston Grand Opera.

Susan Yates from Croton-on-Hudson, NY

This is probably the wrong place to plast this, but I've looked all over and can't find a place for General Comments.
Every time WQXR has a fund raising period and plays Giordano's "Amor ti vietato" the announcer (and always the same person) translates the title as "Love is Forbidden," perhaps channeling too many "Vietato Fumare" signs. The entire phrase is: "Amor ti vietato di non amar ..." which might be better translated as "Love forbids you not to love ..." -- a world of difference!

Feb. 23 2013 04:49 PM
Bernard from England

Have justd

Jan. 29 2013 01:26 AM
James Berry from New York, NY

For me, it is Casta Diva; I think that I have every recording of hers which is available. I got around to truly appreciating her after hearing the Sutherland/Horne/Bonygne recording (and seeing that same production as my first opera at The Met; what luck!). One question: on today's broadcast, who was the soprano singing La Traviata? My GPS decided to tell me I was lost just as her name was spoken. What a great program! I will listen every Saturday.

Jan. 19 2013 06:23 PM
Paul from Bergenfield, NJ

I enjoyed today's inaugural broadcast of Operavore, except for the piece by "La Ceta (sp")? I'm hoping that the individual who spoke was not "for real." If the piece was intended to be a parody of an opera commentator, it missed the mark by a wide margin. While opera does not deserve a reputation of being stolid and stodgy, it does deserve to be treated with a measure of dignity. Respect ought to be shown to those many operavores who take their opera seriously and view it as one of the higher forms of performance art. Send "La Ceta" to Sesame Street (without wishing to demean the characters thereon).

Jan. 19 2013 05:13 PM
rae barlow from NYC

It will be wonderful to hear some intelligent conversation about opera. It still is difficult to replace the magnificent programs of George Jellinek with his keen insight into the world of music. I guess this is a sideways step forward. I'll be listening.

Jan. 19 2013 04:48 PM
Laura Esterman

could you let me know whether you can access today's operavore b'cast on line if you missed it live?

Jan. 19 2013 04:45 PM
Sue Young from Montclair, NJ

I so agree with Les about that Puritani performance. One day I played all the recordings I could find of Casta Diva, and then Callas's. Nothing compared wth it.

And Jeep is also right. You should replay the show. I missed the Metlive today due to idiocy about tickets so I got to hear it. Loved the Terence McNally interview and his choices.

Could I put in a request? I'm not sure whether it was QXR or NYC, but you played the funniest show I ever heard about the sexuality in Tristan. I have been looking for it ever since.

Jan. 19 2013 04:11 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

Regarding what opera lovers regard as the best of the art of Maria Callas --- I didn't find a comment section on that page --- I'd say unequivocally that her Elvira in "I Puritani" (with di Stefano, and Serafin conducting the La Scala forces)) has a pathos and a directness that I just don't hear to that degree in others that I've heard. I think that's her greatest recorded legacy, along with her Amina in "La Sonnambula" in the La Scala performances conducted by Bernstein, one of which was recorded. From what I've read about Giula Grisi and Maria Malibran, it seems one or the other was reborn in Maria Callas. What, for my taste, is disturbed by the wobble that plagued her later years and a guilding of the lily in acting the verismo roles clearly doesn't inform her performances mentioned above; and I know we opera lovers would be much the worse without them.

Jan. 18 2013 06:51 AM
Alison Ames from NYC

I have no 'smart' phone only only a stupid phone, one with no apps at all! I'll survive with my little tranny!
JG

Jan. 10 2013 04:11 PM

Many otherwise potentially major operatic talents are discouraged by the domestic climate where commercial interests subvert all classical endeavors, whether it be music or book authorship or architecture or museums or courses in the schools, public schools, high schools and universities. Cultural and scientific advancement requires motivation, training and financial support. WE ALL HAVE A ROLE TO PLAY IN SAVING OUR SOCIETAL PAST ACHIEVEMENTS AND SUPPORTING THE NEW ENTERPRISES.

Jan. 10 2013 09:25 AM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Thanks for finally seeing the need for something like this, WQXR. While it will probably never live up to George Jellinek's "The Vocal Scene" (already being hobbled by its mere half hour length), at least it will focus on opera, which is given short shrift (at least to those who do not have Sirius XM subscriptions).

Jan. 09 2013 04:46 PM

OSCAR BRAND'S AND MY PROGRAM WERE BOTH HOUR-LONG, HIS ON FOLK SONGS MINE ON OPERA.

Jan. 08 2013 11:00 PM

I hosted the our-long OPERATIC SPOTLIGHT program on WNYC, aired on Sundays at 5:30 PM right after the OSCAR BRAND folk music program, in the 1950s. It was an interview and live performance program, with piano accompaniments for the performers, lead singers from the MET OPERA and NEW YORK CITY OPERA. I often did sing duets with them. Considering the waning audience for classical music due to many factors mainly the lack of options to become aqainted with the vast reservoir of masterpieces in all the musical formats. I am a Wagnerian heldentenor and opera composer ["Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare"] and the director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute in Boonton, NJ, where I teach vocal production and all the opera roles of Wagner and acting roles of the Shakespeare oeuvre. www.WagnerOpera.com

Jan. 08 2013 10:53 PM
Marie from NJ/NY Metro

Sounds like a great program! All sorts of local experts available for guest slots.

BTW, no need for a transistor radio, if they even still make those. You can get Operavore on your smart phone! Download the app, it's a wonderful thing!

Jan. 08 2013 04:54 PM
Jeep Gerhard from NYC

WOW, this will be a great lead-in to Met Opera broadcasts. Will have to miss it when I go to the Met HD transmissions, unless i buy a -- gasp -- transistor radio.

Jan. 08 2013 03:18 PM