Renée Fleming and Susan Graham Sing French Songs

Friday, May 3 at 7 pm: Tune in to 105.9 FM and WQXR.org for a Re-Broadcast of this Recital

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Susan Graham (Dario Acosta) and Renée Fleming (Decca). Susan Graham (Dario Acosta) and Renée Fleming (Decca).

Audio notice: Due to rights restrictions, two songs from the recital are unavailable. We regret the inconvenience.

Soprano Renée Fleming and mezzo-soprano Susan Graham team up for a duo recital of French song literature from the 19th century, joined by Bradley Moore on piano. The two American divas previously appeared together in Richard Strauss’s Der Rosenkavalier, staged in 2000 and 2009 at the Metropolitan Opera.

The music here was written during the belle époque era, roughly 1880 to World War I, and includes composers like Offenbach, Fauré, Saint-Saens and Messager. The formal program ends with the famous "Flower Duet" from Delibes's Lakmé.

The broadcast begins at 8 pm, with a live chat and Twitter conversation taking place here starting 7:30 pm, using Twitter hashtag #CHLive.

Program

SAINT-SAËNS "Pastorale"
    SAINT-SAËNS "Viens"
    SAINT-SAËNS "El desdichado"
    FAURÉ "Puisqu’ici bas," Op. 10, No. 1
    FAURÉ "Pleurs d’or," Op. 72
    FAURÉ Pavane in F-sharp Minor, Op. 50
    FAURÉ "Tarentelle," Op. 10, No. 2
    DEBUSSY "Clair de lune"
    DEBUSSY "Mandoline"
    DEBUSSY "Beau soir"
    DELIBES "Les filles de Cadix"
    HAHN "Le rossignol des lilas"
    HAHN "Infidélité"
    HAHN "Fêtes galantes"
    HAHN "Le printemps"
    BERLIOZ "La mort d'Ophélie," Op. 18, No. 2
    ANDRÉ MESSAGER "Blanche-marie et Marie-Blanche" from Les P'tites Michu
    OFFENBACH Barcarolle from Les contes d’Hoffmann
    DELIBES "Duo des fleurs" from Lakmé

Our Live Chat Begins at 7:30pm before the 8pm ET broadcast.

Melanie Buford/NPR
    Mezzo-soprano Susan Graham and soprano Renée Fleming performed a duo recital of French songs at Carnegie Hall on Jan. 27, 2013.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Soprano Renée Fleming accompanied by Bradley Moore on piano.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Susan Graham and Renée Fleming.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Susan Graham accompanied by Bradley Moore on piano.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Susan Graham and Renée Fleming.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Renée Fleming accompanied by Bradley Moore on piano.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Susan Graham and Renée Fleming (after a dress change during intermission). There was a lot of hugging and hamming it up during the performance.
    Melanie Buford/NPR
    Susan Graham and Renée Fleming

Gonzalo Floreez from Colombia. South America.

Congratulations for this beautiful night. It is so amazing. Really gorgeous!

May. 03 2013 08:40 PM
    vinnie lauten

Why don't Fleming/Graham start a "The Two Sopranos" tour?? If they can get over the artistic/legal issues, it could only benefit them and the public! Their Carnegie Hall concert was superb.

Feb. 17 2013 12:50 AM
    vinnie lauten

Why don't Flemimg/Graham start a "The Two Sopranos" concert performance tour?? If they can get over the legal/artisiic issues, it could only benefit them and the public. Their Carnegie Hall concert was superb! Don't let this opportunity pass by!!

Feb. 17 2013 12:40 AM
    Mirella Sanseviero from long island

it was Superb !!!

Jan. 29 2013 07:48 AM
    Marin'e

I'm from France too, and if someone find a way to listen back to the live, let me know, Pleassse :D !

Jan. 29 2013 07:11 AM
    Frenchy from France

Hi,

I would have loved to listen to those French songs, but it started at midnight (French time), so I just couldn't listen to it in live.
    Isn't there a king of replay ? So that people can listen to it again after the concert is over ?

Thanks for helping me.

Jan. 28 2013 05:21 PM
    joe jacovino from North Jersey

Having listened to this wonderful show with my beautiful girlfriend, before , during and after we ate a delicious vegetarian dinner, she then asked me to dance with her during the " La Vie En Rose " cover. At the end I was in tears, and she later told me that she felt herself "melt into my soul" during the song. It was a life-shaping/changing experience,for both of us it seems, and I am forever grateful and in the debt of these two amazing singers, the pianist, and WQXR for the broadcast. The music these two women sang mimics exactly the song i hear in my heart whenever I am with my sweet love. Thanks ladies !!!!!!

Jan. 28 2013 04:20 PM
    Doris Norton from San Antonio, TX

I was not able to listen to the Fleming-Graham recital the evening of Jan. 27th which was broadcast on our local classical station (San Antonio, TX). Is it possible to access it after the fact? That is, do you have it in an archive so that I can listen to it on my computer. Thank you.

Jan. 28 2013 11:49 AM
    Eileen

Thoroughly enjoyed the entire performance. Bradley Moore was excellent! Very entertaining.

Jan. 28 2013 08:32 AM
    JanNelson from NJ

Every single note was golden! I loved this so much. Thank you, NPR.

Jan. 27 2013 10:14 PM
    OepraticWolverine

How wonderful to hear these two fabulous American singers perform together! Their voices blend so well and I love the duets!

Jan. 27 2013 08:56 PM
    roxanne gabriel from montclair, nj

Magnificent blend and sound is beyond description! That Pavane! Faure and Carnegie - so sorry I can't be there this night! Truly mesmerizing, ladies! Brava!!

Jan. 27 2013 08:34 PM
    k.braverman

Help! I'm trying to get this on my computer as I'm out of range of WQXR and can't get anything.

Jan. 27 2013 08:34 PM

Listening from LaPorte, IN! These two ladies are my absolute IDOLS and I'm so glad that I could listen in on this concert since I was so unfortunate to catch them in Chicago. Thanks for this!

Jan. 27 2013 08:18 PM
    DivaJojo

Tuning in from Manila, Philippines!

Jan. 27 2013 07:45 PM
    Jennifer Smith from Hawaii

That technology let's us all enjoy this performance IS FANTASTIC!

Jan. 27 2013 06:58 PM