The Vocal Scene with George Jellinek: American Opera 1776-1976
Sunday, July 07, 2013
In this episode, which aired during America's bicentennial year, George surveys American Opera from 1776-1976. We hear works by Stephen Foster, Douglas Moore, Samuel Barber and Virgil Thomson, among others.
- Rayner Taylor: Buxom Joan: Finale (1778)
- Hanson: The Merry Mount: Final Scene - Lawrence Tibbett
- Herbert: Natoma: Patriotic Air - John McCormack
- Foster: Wilt Thou Be Gone Love - Jan DeGaetani, Leslie Guinn
- Moore: The Ballad of Baby Doe: Final Scene - Beverly Sills
- Blitzstein: Regina, Second Act Finale: Brenda Lewis, Helen Strine, Elizabeth Carron, Joshua Hecht
- Thomson: Four Saints in Three Acts: Edward Matthews
- Barber: Vanessa : Do Not Utter a Word - Leontyne Price
The WQXR e-newsletter. Show highlights, links to music news, on-demand concerts, events from The Greene Space and more.