NYPD Says Truck on RFK Bridge Not a Threat

Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Robert F. Kennedy (formerly called the Triborough) Bridge (break-things/by-sa)

The New York Police Department says a suspicious truck abandoned near a toll booth on the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge last night turned out not to be a threat. The bridge reopened for traffic around midnight after being closed for several hours.

Police spokesman Paul Browne said a bridge authority officer believed he smelled gasoline coming from a parked truck, and that he saw a man flee the vehicle. The NYPD bomb squad and other emergency responders rushed to the scene, x-rayed the truck, cut a hole in the side but found nothing.

Browne said the truck had been driven from the Bronx toward Manhattan, and that the man fled in the direction of Queens.

Tags:

More in:

The WQXR e-newsletter. Show highlights, links to music news, on-demand concerts, events from The Greene Space and more.

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.

Follow WQXR 

Sponsored

Feeds