Benjamin Ellin

Notes from the Composer

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Nahstops 2

Ensemble conducted by James Watson

A major work for brass and percussion, Nahstops 2 was written in 2004 for James Watson and the Royal Academy of Music in London. It is a dramatic and varied work composed for a large ensemble—the same size as that used in Elgar Howarth’s version of Pictures at an Exhibition—and while not programmatic, it is written in episodes or chapters. The extract here first splits the two sections of trombones and trumpets, with one group playing a vibrant dancelike theme and the other a broad melody, before combining the forces in a dramatic conclusion.

Tafahum (Arabic for understanding)

Performed by the EMFEB Symphony Orchestra; Ney, Louai Alhenawi; conducted by Benjamin Ellin.

Tafahum, the Arabic word for understanding, is a concerto for ney (the Arabic flute) and symphony orchestra. It was first performed in London in 2008 as part of a wider project to combine Western and Eastern music, musicians and audiences. The concerto was written for and performed by the soloist Louai Alhenawi, a wonderful musician of genuine creativity and curiosity. In the concerto the soloist explores the various sections of the orchestra, an obviously foreign entity, and develops friendships, alliances and hostilities. The extract here is the concerto’s conclusion, which sees the joyful unity of two worlds, two ideas and two peoples. Tafahum is also the story of my friendship with Louai, but as this live performance shows, the journey was taken by many who were there.

Felicity from Yorkshire

I play in the Slaithwaite Philharmonic Orchestra, which recently gave the UK premiere of Ben's harp concerto, which was enjoyed by everybody there.
I don't normally particularly like 'modern' music, but so far I keep listening and liking.
That's got to be good!

Oct. 06 2010 02:58 PM
Ron Tyler from USA

Impressive and beautiful piece.

Sep. 07 2010 10:28 AM
Emilia from San Francisco

Amazing...so uplifting and inspiring! Good luck to the composer with this competition.

Sep. 06 2010 05:49 PM
Deborah from New York

All great artists court controversy. However if this list is representative of the possible Carnegie Hall audience, they should be delighted!!

Personally I do not think Wanda's comments have any basis. I have never heard a Western concerto for ney before (then how can this be standard?)...as for dynamics, Ellin uses them structurally, with timbre as well as the pure decibel level. Honestly-it is very clear to hear... Maybe she was listening to different extracts?
Well done Mr Ellin... You have great talent!

Aug. 25 2010 03:13 AM
Wanda from Los Angeles

Surprisingly average and 'ho mum'. Not bad, but not very good. Same old instrumentation and structure. Weak on dynamics. Sounds like music written by hundreds of other composers. No imagination at all. What is surprising is the praise other posters have written. Really folks, the bar should be higher...

Aug. 24 2010 02:11 PM
Jamie from New Jersey

In response to Nathan's comment; I think it's great to hear the applause at the end of the Tafahum extract. It's such a stirring piece and constructed in such a great way that I feel the listener is emotionally raised up to the climax of the piece and the applause at the end just helps top this off ...as it is what I feel I'd like to do at this point. I also think it's brilliant to hear this is a live recording and that the wealth of positive comments on this list are shared and reflected by the people in the concert hall. I''d go to hear more from this guy at Carnegie Hall and am sure I'd be adding to the applause there myself! Great work. Thank you for posting.

Aug. 17 2010 09:37 AM
Nathan

In a contest where the contestants have 10 minutes to represent their entire body of work, why would someone choose 2 minutes of applause? Do those 2 minutes of applause really better represent Benjamin Ellin's music than the 2 minutes of the piece preceding the excerpt?

Aug. 14 2010 05:52 PM
Laila from New York

I agree with all the glowing comments on this composer's page. I feel genuinely inspired by this musician's craftsmanship and humanity and lend my support to getting his music played in New York.

Aug. 13 2010 02:53 PM
Jane from New York City

What a talent! This is just the type of thing Carnegie Hall has been crying out for!!...I hope someone there is brave enough to give this guy a chance...

Aug. 13 2010 01:50 PM
Wendy from Boston, MA

I've worked with Benjamin Ellin on many different occasions and feel that his talent is deserving of the honour and prestige of a commission for Carnegie Hall and wish him the best of luck in this endeavour

Aug. 02 2010 02:39 PM
Amy from New york state

These sound like a really exciting pieces!!it would be great to see young british talent be recognised in america.

Aug. 01 2010 05:25 PM
Sarah from New York

Fantastic piece, I can't wait to hear more from this talented young musician.

Aug. 01 2010 05:23 PM
Alix MacSweeney from London

Ben Ellin is a remarkable composer.
"The White Crucifixion" for viola and strings, inspired by the painting of that title by Chagall in Chicago, is a poignant lament for human suffering – very hard to do without lapsing into cliché. The setting of a poem by Anna Akhmatova, "White Night", to be sung in the original Russian, shows Ellin’s sensitivity to language and word setting, and his imaginative empathy with Akhmatova’s poetic world. It is characteristic of Ellin’s open-hearted approach to music-making that he should welcome the challenge of finding ways to combine oriental and western musical traditions: hence his "Tafahum" for ney and orchestra, and the continuing Tafahum project.
Ellin’s commitment, imagination and talent are clear in all he does, and his communicative idiom engages his audience.
I feel confident that WQXR and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra would not regret giving Ellin this commission.

Jul. 27 2010 07:29 AM
Will Slingsby from Great Britain

Mr Ellin is truly an incredible composer, thought provoking and passionate, would be a sheer joy to hear his work at such a wonderful venue

Jul. 23 2010 05:09 PM
Edmond Agopian from Calgary

I thoroughly enjoy working on and performing Ben's music. It's music that's rewarding for the performer in terms of expression and delivery; fabulous array of colours, drama, imagination, instrumentation, and communication to the audience. It's the type of music that stays fresh and is exciting to work on rehearsal after rehearsal. It is also music that speaks immediately to the audience.

Jul. 21 2010 11:59 AM
boris de larochelambert from Paris

I am very impressed by Benjamin Ellin's music, which in my opinion possesses highest dramatic, structural and rythmic qualities. It feels accomplished, very well balanced in all respects, and I never get the feeling he is saying too little or too much. Those qualities are also obvious in his chamber music, which i had the honor to play.

Jul. 16 2010 04:07 PM
Ellen from New Jersey

This music is so great! I really hope that the judging panel will see the originality and talent of this composer.

Jul. 16 2010 02:00 PM
Frank from Manhatten

This candidate's talent shines clearly though the two excerpts posted here. I'd like to hear more and would definately be interested to see what he would come up with for Carnegie Hall

Jul. 16 2010 01:05 PM
Chris Wormald from Bolton, Greater Manchester

As Ben's Head of Music at Smithills School in Bolton and his private Tuba teacher from the age of 11 to 16, I had the honour to be at the very start of Ben's musical awakening in every respect. I conducted him in literally hundreds of concerts and have seen this hugely talented young musician blossom as I always knew he would. He is outstanding, committed, dedicated, innovative, superb.

Jul. 15 2010 06:30 PM
Father Andrew Moughtin-Mumby from London, UK

Ben Ellin is an extraordinary musician who is commited to both excellence in musical composition and performance, and also to sharing this precious gift with those who simply would not otherwise share in the joy and discipline of music.

Tafahum is an amazing project which as well as producing amazing music is a beacon of cross-cultural co-operation between the worlds of East and West, and how this is needed in today's fractured world.

Ben's compositions achieve a rare level of style and 'voice' among many new composers. He is confident, rooted, and an excellent writer across many diverse instrumental and vocal groupings.

For four years, I have had the privilege to work with Ben on the Pembroke Academy of Music in on of the very poorest communities in England. He has always given 200% to this project which flourishes under his leadership as Director of Music and is giving otherwise deprived children the opportunity to experience music-making at a high level, both of their own making, and when Ben brings friends together to offer performances for our young people here in Pembroke House.

Ben so deserves this opportunity and I have no doubt whatsoever that he will shine and prove that he really is one of the greatest of a new generation of conductor-composers.

Jul. 14 2010 07:07 PM
Catherine Ford from Calgary, Canada

Ben Ellin's compositions — as varied and complex as they are — manage to capture the simple essence of timelessness. They fill the space with the kind of music that is both modern and fresh, but is rooted in the classical tradition that carries some music across the centuries. Ellin's compositions express the freshness of modern music without relying on the unfortunate dissonance so many of today's composers use to punctuate their style. Both Nahstops 2 and Tafahum show Ellin's range of expression, but there is another quality that places Ellin in a unique category: I was privileged to be present at the world premiere of Siksika and utterly blown away by the composer's ability to capture the essence of a land and a people without actually having been there. That quality displays a rare and brilliant talent. Ben Ellin deserves to be heard by a worldwide audience, and Carnegie Hall would provide that opportunity.

Jul. 14 2010 03:14 PM
Robert from New York City

I can only add my voice to this composer's long list of compliments! His music really speaks to be and is exactly the type of thing I'd like to hear at Carnegie Hall: fresh, honest, moving and accomplished. I wish him every success for the future and would certainly attend the concert at Carnegie Hall if he won, as I'm keen to hear more!

Jul. 13 2010 08:47 AM
wendy from christchurch

This young musician is obviously extremely talented - a dramatic piece.

Jul. 12 2010 11:25 AM
Kirsten from Iraq and London

Tafahum demonstrates the richness that comes from diversity and mutual respect. After several years in community development in Iraq, it was so good to hear this composition and the potential of music to bridge misunderstanding and hostility. It'd be great to have Ben and Louai perform in Iraq too! If the Carnegie Hall can be a stepping stone to that - its somthing the Hall can be trully proud to host and enable.

Jul. 12 2010 03:56 AM
Simon from New York City

This is great! A refreshing, new and exciting voice in contemporary music. I hope the people at Carnegie Hall will see this too. I certainly back Benjamin Ellin's bid for this opportunity. A clear rising star!

Jul. 11 2010 05:09 PM
KOERING René from Montpellier, France

La musique de Benjamin Ellin est faite de raffinement et d'invention.
La musique est dans la continuité des grands maîtres du XX°s comme Ravel ou plus près de nous Britten.
Son sens très aigu de l'orchestration vient d'une pratique très bien assimilée de la direction d'orchestre, sans tomber dans les effets faciles qui sont les défauts de bien des chefs d'orchestre-compositeurs.
René Koering, Directeur Artistique du Festival de Radio France et Montpellier et Surintendant de la musique à Montpellier

Jul. 11 2010 11:30 AM
John from Queens

I agree, that the composer's skill and talent clearly shine through in these musical examples. I hope he wins the prize, as I would certainly attend his concert in New York. So refreshing to hear clear, honest, contemporary music.

Jul. 07 2010 01:58 PM
Gillian from Manhatten

This is exactly the kind of music I think Carnegie Hall should be commisioning. It is unique, skilled, exciting and fresh. I love the power of the brass piece and the integration of cultural ideas in Tafahum...Genuinely uplifting!

Jul. 07 2010 01:52 PM
Sophie from London

Ben is one of the most motivated and committed musicians I have met. I would echo all the comments that have gone before mine - his music is thrilling, sensitive, diverse, innovative and a complete joy to play.

Jul. 06 2010 04:35 PM
Rachel Carroll from London

breath taking, I would buy a ticket to the us tomorrow if I had the change to hear this at Carnegie Hall.

Jul. 05 2010 12:56 PM
Kinell from New York

I was so pleasantly surprised by this candidate's freshness, honesty and talent! His music is so skillfull, but still speaks simply to the listener's soul. Very impressive...I agree, let's get this Brit over to Carnegie Hall!

Jul. 05 2010 08:49 AM
John from Kingstag from Dorset.

Exciting stuff! Hope it goes really well at Carnegie Hall.

Jul. 05 2010 06:35 AM
Aiden from New Jersey

Wow. Just listened to these two pieces. I am amazed by how the composer stirs up the listeners emotions all the way to the climax. He is obviously very skilled and talented and is certainly my favourite for this prize

Jul. 03 2010 04:15 AM
Amy from New York

Two great excerpts! I find this music honest, fresh and dynamic. Most importantly, it moves me. I'd like to see what this guy can come up with for Carnegie Hall. I vote for Benjamin Ellin

Jul. 02 2010 04:25 PM
Kent from New York City

Wonderful stuff - just what's needed at Carnegie Hall!

Jul. 02 2010 04:22 PM
D Ellin

Very thought provoking. I am always keot interested by the freshness and originality of Ben's pieces. Natstops in particular is dramatic and arresting.

Jul. 02 2010 10:43 AM
Louai from London & Damascus

I had the opportunity to work with Benjamin on the Tafahum project. He displayed a deep understanding of contemporary and classical Arabic music. It was a wonderful experience being part of that special project. I learned much from him and enjoyed the experience of working with a composer and conductor of such calibre. Tafahum is a masterpiece merging contempory music of the East and the West.

Jun. 30 2010 04:30 PM
Nicola from London, UK

I have listened to Benjamin's compositions and attended several of his events. I think he is a fantastic and talented composer. I always look forward to his next work. Always very impressed.

Jun. 30 2010 04:17 PM
Raymond White from Upwey. Dorset

Ben Ellin's music seems to have been influenced very much by Elgar. The use of brass is inventive. It shows much imagination, left me hoping to hear more.

Jun. 30 2010 03:08 PM
Jacquie from Weymouth, Dorset, UK.

I found Tafahum to be an interesting piece.
Would make a wonderful ballet. I wish Ben all the success his talent deserves - and he should go to Carnegie!

Jun. 30 2010 11:32 AM
Pagin Sarah from Geneva

I have the pleasure to sing Ben's cycle of songs "une belle jeunesse" here in Amiens for a festival, and his work really inspires me,it is very Well written for the voice which is not quite simple, and he manages to create a beautiful atmosphere.thank you Ben !

Jun. 30 2010 10:55 AM
Peter from Gloucester

Wow - magic - just love both pieces. Tried to listen whilst working - nothing achieved totally absorbed - wish this youing man well with his future obviously very talented career.

Jun. 29 2010 04:04 PM
Veronika I. from London / Moscow

I hope Ben's works will get a well deserved chance to be presented to wider audiences worldwide- to my ears he certainly possesses enough gift and intelligence to take contemporary music on a new level, and there is a lot to come from this guy! I heard his other works live at a concert and it was mind-boggling- finally: the new music i was waiting for all my life!

Jun. 29 2010 10:18 AM
Helen from Manhattan

Wonderful. This composer gets my backing, simply because the music speaks to me. It has a fresh new language, but one that has evolved from (Eastern & Western) traditions.
It is honest music. No flowery pretention or rhetoric...just the confidence to let his music do the talking!

Jun. 28 2010 04:19 PM
Jack Green from New York

Love it! This is just the sort of music Carnegie Hall should be commisioning. Fresh, exciting, rousing, uniting & thought provoking. Quality stuff!

Jun. 28 2010 04:10 PM
Dan from London

Engaging, passionate and an amazing inspiration for Carnegie, and beyond.....

Jun. 28 2010 12:36 PM
Tim Martin from London

A very exciting prospect for Carnegie, New York and the World!

Jun. 28 2010 12:27 PM
Steve Cattle from London, England

Engaging, complex and energetic! The clear winner for the Carnegie......!

Jun. 28 2010 12:14 PM
Niki from Germany

Tafahum is brilliant - lighthearted, complex and suspenseful in one piece - very engaging and connected to life.

Jun. 28 2010 02:13 AM
Jenny from new york

that's so new ! I love it there is so much energy in this music!

Jun. 28 2010 01:22 AM
Peter Adams from England

Agree with getting this guy to Carnegie - Ben clearly stands out from the rest - what a talent!

Jun. 27 2010 05:53 AM
Steve Arnold from DWP Central Office,England

A precious respect and understanding for the future direction of classical music - a must for Carnegie

Jun. 27 2010 05:50 AM
John McBride from England

Honest music that speaks to your deepest consciousness.....

Jun. 27 2010 05:48 AM
Babouk from New York City

Simple: I was genuinely moved by the rousing climax of Tafahum. Genuinely uplifted and left feeling positive. I hope the Carnegie Hall give this gift to other New Yorkers by commisioning Mr. Ellin to write them a piece.

Jun. 26 2010 09:14 AM
Abby from New York City

I disagree with Eva's comments. I don't personally know Benjamin Ellin, but as composer myself, I see much freshness in this music - not only in technical skill, but in concept too. It also makes me interested in the man himself, as I can hear his humanity through his work. This is what makes him so fresh...a distinct uniqueness, that I do not hear in the other candidates work.

Jun. 26 2010 08:51 AM
Eva from Copenhagen, Denmark

Well, I don't agree with most of the comments. Yes, it is very well done, very well played, but there is no freshness to it.

Jun. 26 2010 06:52 AM
Micah Heilbrunn from Winnipeg MB

Ben is a wonderful artist and person. I had the privilege of playing some of his music and spending some time with him this summer. You couldn't find a more deserving piece or composer for this prize.

Jun. 26 2010 01:05 AM
Artem Kotov from London

Great music Ben! I really enjoyed that! No one can compose music like you - it speaks. It gives listeners great inspiration and tells the truth. Very sincere and moving. I'm proud to know you as a composer and truly musician.

Jun. 25 2010 08:11 PM
Massood from New Jersey

Thank you for posting these two excerpts. I especially enjoyed the concerto for ney & orchestra. Such an original idea and he has obviously done his homework on the solo instrument. A piece like this would be great in Carnegie Hall - uniting New Yorkers, just as the East/West music is united in his piece

Jun. 25 2010 04:58 PM
Marco Antonio Perez Ramirez from France

The musical material of Benjamin Ellin is full of life and ideas and burning of great intensity.
Great music. bravo !

Jun. 25 2010 03:29 PM
Charlotte from New York City

I vote for Benjamin Ellin as his music seems honest, brave and moving. Too many young composers seem distracted by a misguided sense of 'the contemporary'. These 2 pieces show commitment, self-belief and artistry.

Jun. 25 2010 12:55 PM
Danny from New York

I was swept up in 'Tafahum'. Such an inspirational, rousing finale! We can hear that he is clearly talented, but reading the other comments, he intrigues me as an interesting man too. Let's get him over to New York and see what he can do!!

Jun. 25 2010 12:44 PM
Dr Jill White FRAM FBSM HonRCM HonDMus(Bristol) from Bristol, UK

I have known Benjamin (Ben) Ellin ever since I first auditioned him as a tuba player for the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain - he was still at school. I was Director of Music of the NYO of GB and had the responsibility to choose the orchestra - I auditioned 600 young musicians each year for 10 years, as well as devise the courses, choose the conductors and the musicand then run the course.
I travelled around the UK for 3 months each autumn to select the following year's membership. There was no security of tenure for the players - everyone had to re-audition alongside the new aspirants.
I also instigated the Composers' Class for the NYO and Ben took full advantage of these opportunities, and also created conducting opportunties which Ben responded to with enthusiasm and skill.
I am a Patron of Ben's orchestra Emfeb, and have supported him with his position of Music Director at the Pembroke Academy in South London and been his Mentor all the time.
As an ex Opera singer (UK and Vienna), a BBC Senior Music Producer for Radio 3 and then the Director of Music of the NYO of GB I have a lifetime of experience at the highest national and international level of music and so it is against that background that I unhesitatingly support and endorse Ben's many rare gifts as a musician and composer.
I know that were he to be given this award he would bring great credit and distinction to the award and it would most certainly enable him to demonstrate globally just what a sincere, gifted, imaginative and dedicated musician he is. There a very few musicians alive with his all-round gifts and professionalism and integrity.

Jun. 25 2010 12:07 PM
Ilona from St.Petersburg-Jerusalem-London

My first introduction to Ben's compositions was an excerpt for strings, was exciting and thrilling from the first notes. Then I heard the 'Tafahum' in life performance, where it got a standing ovation. It was both very moving and happy experience. I loved the idea of merging the cultures and styles and Ben did it with exquisite taste. Ben composed a song for me, the depth of his understanding of Russian poetry has reduced me into tears. He followed by composing a whole cycle to the poems of Russian Anna Akhmatova, which I performed in London. I once asked Ben:' what inspires you to compose' he said:' people, humanity, life.' I believe that whoever is going to work with Ben, will be not only inspired by his commitment to humanity, but will be very lucky to have such a genuine, hard working and first class musician.

Jun. 25 2010 08:53 AM
Andrew from England

In my experience, Ben's music breaks down barriers; audience and performers become one. You'll find many other composers with an equal sense of thoughtfulness and grit, a sense of community and a communal experience (especially in live performance) is special to his work.

Jun. 25 2010 06:23 AM
bishblaize from Walworth, London

Diverse pieces, yet both from the same mind - powerful and distinctly modern. Very impressive.

Jun. 25 2010 04:06 AM
Benoit from Amiens, France

We have met Benjamin few months ago asking him to compose music for our festival. It was obvious after listening to Tafahum, his cello concerto and song cycle that he had the poetry and deepness to enlight our event.
He composed two pieces which will be created next week. Hardworking and passionate, Ben brought us freshness and joy.

Jun. 25 2010 03:07 AM
David Brown from Vancouver, Canada

I've just met Ben recently performing a new work of his which I thoroughly enjoyed. I certainly hope he gets a commission to write for the 40th Anniversary Orpheus project as I would love to hear what he would write for this wonderful group. I'm sure, knowing how thoughtful and in touch he is, Ben would compose a piece uniquely fashioned for the special attributes that Orpheus displays. I am hopeful that the Turning Point Ensemble, of which I am a member, will be able to commission a work from Ben in the near future.

Jun. 25 2010 02:31 AM
John Lowry from Calgary, Canada

I find Benjamin Ellin to be a masterful and very interesting composer. Besides the excerpts here, I have also met him and heard a compelling live performance of his work "Siksika" for viola and chamber orchestra. I would vote for Benjamin in Carnegie Hall.

Jun. 24 2010 09:03 PM
S Fleming from UK

Thrilling to listen to - hugely vibrant and colorful. These experts left me wanting more.

Jun. 24 2010 08:20 PM
Richard from New York City

I couldn't disagree more with 'Joe Ben'. The problem with contemporary music these days is that in the struggle to sound 'groundbreaking', all composers end up sounding the same!! Benjamin Ellin seems to show the maturity, self assurance and passion to write music that speaks to so many people (this comments lists suggests) without the worry about what he 'should' be doing!

Jun. 24 2010 01:21 PM
Richard from New York City

Great musical excerpts. This composer stands out for me as the most innovative, bold, creative and humanist. Just what we need in the City. Get him to New York and quick!!

Jun. 24 2010 01:12 PM
Joe Ben from Oregon

I find it quite surprising that people are calling this music "unique" and "fresh"... This music would have sounded outdated in 1920.

Jun. 24 2010 01:12 PM
Max from New York City

Inspirational stuff! Win or loose - this guy certainly has a great career ahead of him!

Jun. 24 2010 01:02 PM
James from New York City

For me Benjamin Ellin is an exciting discovery. Fresh style, voice and concepts. Just what this city needs!

Jun. 24 2010 12:54 PM
TJ from New York

Listening to 'Tafahum', I am excited about what a composer like this could create for the people of New York. He would be perfect for Carnegie Hall

Jun. 24 2010 12:41 PM
Jim Blackman from Weymouth UK

A very descriptive piece with visions of dance, jollity and enjoyment. A dramatic concusion remeniscent of Holst. A talented man.

Jun. 24 2010 11:50 AM
Bees from Norway

In my opinion, this guy stands head and shoulders above the other composers. He get's my vote!

Jun. 24 2010 10:38 AM
Jennifer from Queens

Me too. This guy really stands out & obviously has something to say through his music...at last...a unique voice! I'd definately go to hear his stuff at Carnegie Hall!!

Jun. 24 2010 10:25 AM
Jim from New York City

...I agree...a clear winner...so unique...Get this gut to Carnegie Hall!

Jun. 24 2010 10:00 AM
Doug from New York

Two intriguing clips here from a clearly diverse and talented composer. As a resident New Yorker, I'd love to hear this guy's work in Carnegie Hall - I'd definately buy a ticket and would be interested to hear what else he could come up with

Jun. 24 2010 09:48 AM
Jane from New York

Two great pieces. As a brass player, I was especially impressed with Nahstops 2. You can tell the composer has a rare understanding and respect for brass instruments. Anyone know if he's written anything for trumpet? I'd love to hear more from this guy

Jun. 24 2010 09:40 AM
Penny from Poole

Ethnic conflict is often reflected with tribal drumbeat. What a change! The ney flute interposes in a most dramatic way. Unusual and exciting.

Jun. 23 2010 11:10 AM
Piccolina from Tuscany

What a talent...more please!!

Jun. 23 2010 09:59 AM
Hadlajan from New York

2 great pieces from a clearly talented young composer. I would be extremely interesed to hear more from him and wish him good luck for the successful future he obviously has ahead of him

Jun. 23 2010 09:56 AM
Debbie from London

Tafahum is such an amazing and inspiring piece! It genuinely makes me believe in the positive power of music to unite different cultures. Fantastic!

Jun. 23 2010 09:49 AM
DMartin from Britain

Acutally, there is much more to be excited about; Ben clearly has an original inspiring style that captures any listener......

Jun. 23 2010 03:34 AM
American from across the pond

Hate to look like the upstart colonist here against a bunch of folks from the old world, but I just don't see (or hear) what there is here to be excited about.

Jun. 22 2010 01:35 PM
Ailine Fischer from Germany

Absolutely Fabulous! Ben’s music is complex, moving and gorgeous... It leaves you wanting more.

Jun. 22 2010 04:52 AM
Donald Collier from Dorset, England

Certainly moving and inspiring music - we must hear more from Ben.....

Jun. 21 2010 03:10 PM
Anne Stribley from Dorset, England, UK

Ben's work has so much poetry and depth - love it!

Jun. 21 2010 03:04 PM
Steve Arnold from England, London

Very impressive work with lots of originality, good pace and appropriately dramatic!

Jun. 21 2010 02:57 PM
Iris Springdale from London, England

Ben obviously has an amazing way of putting all these diverse sounds together to make something unique, interesting and making you want more of the next interesting twist and turn of his music - every time he is taking you on some high adventure......we must hear more!

Jun. 21 2010 02:51 PM
Martin Springdale from Britain

'Tafahum' has a wonderfully energetic and carefully considered pace in uniting together West and Middle East - a piece for our time perhaps, but no doubt brought to us by a rising star.

Jun. 21 2010 02:41 PM
Martin Springdale from Britain

'Nahstops 2' certainly entices, captures and then excites the spirit of adventure of a newcomer to classical music.

Jun. 21 2010 02:24 PM
Alessia Barberi from ITALY

Tafahum is a lot more beauty and impressive work than the majority of mainsteam will ever be.
Really appreciate it!