9/11: Music of Reflection and Resilience

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Saturday we remember the terrorist attacks of 2001 with a special morning of music. Tune in from 7 a.m. to 12 noon as Elliott Forrest presents works inspired by 9/11, including Eric Ewazen’s A Hymn for the Lost and the Living, Kernis’s Sarabanda in Memoriam, and John Adams’s Pulitzer Prize-winning piece On the Transmigration of Souls

Other works explore the concept of mourning and loss, including the Rutter Requiem and Barber's Agnus Dei (based on the Adagio for Strings). Still other pieces were chosen by our listeners as music that typifies the New York spirit.

Is there a piece of music that you identify with 9/11? Tell us about it in the comments section below.

graham barkham from 1.

Two pieces rflecting enormous sadness: 1.Barber's Adagio for Strings, of course; and 2. Ravel's pavanne pour une enfante defuncte.

Aug. 17 2011 09:59 AM
Robert Reeg from Rockland

I'm a 9/11 survivor and I'd like to hear, "Going Home" as sung by Mary Fahl in her album, "The other side of time."

Aug. 04 2011 10:36 PM
Joe from Brooklyn

I wrote my piece "The Spell of a Vanishing Loveliness" about my experience in NYC on September 11, 2001, which you can read about and listen to the piece here (http://numinousmusic.blogspot.com/2010/09/remembering-911-spell-of-vanishing.html). I really didn't feel ready or interested in commenting directly about that day musically. Rather I took an indirect and local approach, which was my way to express the many conflicting feelings of that day.

Sep. 11 2010 01:59 PM
Michael Meltzer

I think you have done what you set out to do. The music absolutely reflected New York, much of it was moving without ever getting maudlin, and the program was appropriately respectful.
Thank you.

Sep. 11 2010 11:48 AM
Andrea Ouida from River Edge, NJ

We lost our 25-year-old son Todd on September 11. Reflective music was especially important to me in the period following that terrible day. In particular, Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 is a piece that always brings me solace.
We have tried to turn the terrible tragedy of that day into something positive through the establishment of the Todd Ouida Children's Foundation www.mybuddytodd.org.
Todd's brilliant smile and joie de vivre will live in our hearts forever.

Sep. 11 2010 09:00 AM
wally from Manhattan

soon after the 9/11 attacks I watched a memorial tribute televised from Riverside Church where Lillias White sang "Come Sunday." It was one of the most eloquent & moving musical performances
I ever heard.

Sep. 11 2010 08:21 AM
Eric from New York.

As someone who worked in Law Enforcement on 9/11.I responded to the WTC and lost some very close and personal friends. I will always remember that day and the following morning on my return to ground zero. I always have in my head, Barber's Adagio for strings. A very haunting piece of music, but it helps release feelings during times of sorrow.
God Bless the FDNY. who took such a heavy toll to save thousands..............

Sep. 11 2010 06:57 AM