Coming Soon: Month of Mozart

Friday, October 18, 2013

In keeping with a recent tradition of November festivals, WQXR will present "Month of Mozart,” a celebration of the composer who has racked up more recordings than any other (nearly 10,000), created masterpieces in every genre he attempted, and who today is sampled by rock stars and rap artists and on movie soundtracks and video games.

Beginning Friday, Nov.1, Month of Mozart will provide many pathways into the music, mystique and majesty of Mozart through themed programming, live events, web exclusives and expert commentary.

Highlights include an all-Mozart day (November 1) to kick off the festival; daily themes such as "Mozart and his world," "Mozart in his own words," and "Mozart’s chamber music"; a screening of the Oscar-winning film "Amadeus" with an appearance by F. Murray Abraham at Symphony Space (November 9); a child-friendly version of The Magic Flute performed by the Amore Opera at The Greene Space at WQXR (November 23); and "Life with Wolfie," a Tumblr page written by Mozart’s stage dad, Leopold chronicling the Mozart Family Tour around Europe and what it’s like to parent a genius.

We'll present the finest recordings of Mozart’s oeuvre, from chamber music to piano sonatas to magisterial orchestral works. The festival will culminate in a live broadcast of the New York Philharmonic performing Mozart’s three final symphonies (November 30). Operavore, WQXR’s 24/7 stream and site dedicated to opera, will feature full-length recordings of Mozart’s operas every weekday, from The Marriage of Figaro to Così fan tutte.

Also online, watch for a “Conducting Business” podcast on the now-debunked but still popular “Mozart Effect” study, a backstage tour of The Metropolitan Opera with a “Mozart makeover" of WQXR host Jeff Spurgeon, and Cafe Concerts by soprano Susanna Phillips and the Pacifica String Quartet.

"Our composer festivals – concentrated doses of classical’s best-known composers, brought to life for contemporary audiences – are a playful way for us to remind New Yorkers that everyone knows a little something about classical music, and everyone is welcome at WQXR," said Graham Parker, General Manager, WQXR.

"Through brand-disruptive imagery inspired by skater culture, clever and engaging social media efforts, and of course, great music, we invite both the seasoned fan and the new listener to experience a single composer in an accessible, yet well-informed way. We’re delighted to put the spotlight on Mozart – whose sense of humor rivaled his musicianship – and hope that even more listeners will be enticed to join us on this immersive journey."

Rudro De from Bronx, NY

Why isn't every month Mozart month? Can we ever get enough? Please make every month Mozart month. The world will be the better for it.

Nov. 17 2013 10:51 PM
Beethoven from NYC

I dig the poster but that's not Mozart 's image- it's Beethoven .
Right ?
I underStand but I don't

Nov. 06 2013 01:55 AM

Thanks, WQXR!

Oct. 23 2013 03:41 PM
WQXR

Folks,
Thanks for your feedback on the Month of Mozart, which we hope you'll enjoy. And yes, we will certainly be observing the Benjamin Britten centenary as well. More on our plans will be announced in the coming weeks.

Oct. 23 2013 01:52 PM

I agree, Bernie. Since I am really not too familiar with Britten's music, not having heard very much here, I think that a focus on his music during his 100th birthday month would provide such an opportunity.

Oct. 23 2013 10:20 AM
Bernie from UWS

Well, if we're going by the "big anniversary=week of programming" philosophy, Britten should surely get something. A month? I'm not sure his music could hold up to that much focus. But I hope whatever WQXR does, they don't relegate him to just a few pretty instrumental pieces - there's so much more to appreciate.

Oct. 23 2013 07:18 AM

No, Lynn, the comments weren't a joke. It's not a joke simply to ask that Benjamin Britten's music receive some recognition on the 100th anniversary of his birth, although maybe it is kind of humorous that we would even hope that WQXR would do this at all!

Oct. 22 2013 06:58 PM
Lynn David from Jersey Shore

The Britten comments were a joke, right?
Beethoven awareness was awesome...all of Bach was to die for...Mozart month is going to be great...

Oct. 22 2013 03:26 PM

I'm for Britten also. Mozart is played regularly and often. It is time to feature other composers, and Britten is a better choice.

Oct. 22 2013 07:56 AM

While no one will disagree about the epic achievements as masterpieces in so many formats that MOZART conceived in so short a lifespan, it doesn't seem fair to marginalize others so that their works do not get a hearing.
Representation particularly where so few outlets exist for classical music should be more considerate for the other composers and listeners with a more universal interest. I am a Wagnerian heldentenor and director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute and may be heard at the RECORDED SELECTIONS venue on my website www.WagnerOpera.com in 37 out of the 100 selections that I have sang in four three-hour-long solo concerts in the main hall, the Isaac Stern Auditorium, of CARNEGIE HALL. On Sunday October 27th at 5 PM, at the NEWLIFE EXPO at the New Yorker Hotel I will sing my fourth concert in New York of the series "The 300 Greatest Love Songs of Broadway Musicals, Movies, and The Grammys." The 300 Love Songs on ten DVDs recorded live on the VALHALLA RECORDS label will be obtainable commercially on February 14th, 2014, St. Valentine's Day.

Oct. 21 2013 09:47 AM

Bingo, Carol.

Will we get a Britten month? I sure hope so.

DD~~

Oct. 18 2013 11:05 PM

I just realized - and correct me if I am wrong - isn't the 100th anniversary of Benjamin Britten's birth this November? Why not focus on his music during that month?

Oct. 18 2013 09:57 PM

I'm with DuckDeadeye! WQXR already plays quite enough Mozart as it is without having to emphasize it for an entire month. I also will be choosing my listening very carefully.
I think the basic idea of highlighting a particular composer's music is good - it's just that WQXR made a safe and predictable choice instead of focusing on composers whose music is not as ubiquitous.

Oct. 18 2013 09:23 PM

Oh, dear. A month of "bibbidy-bobbidy-boo" in B-flat? "Diddle-diddle-dumpling" in D? I'll be choosing my "Mozart Month" listening very carefully.

DD~~

Oct. 18 2013 08:18 PM
Eric from Highland, NY

While I was looking forward to Beethoven Awareness Month (again), I think it will be fun to mix it up. As an avid listener of classical music, and a member of WQXR, I know I have not heard everything Mozart ever wrote, so I look forward to hearing some new discoveries!

Oct. 18 2013 12:49 PM