Handel's Messiah from Trinity Church

Airs Sunday, Dec. 21 at 7 pm and Available for On-Demand Listening Below

Monday, December 23, 2013

Music director Julian Wachner conducts the resident Trinity Choir and Trinity Baroque Orchestra from Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan in Handel’s classic oratorio, which received its New World premiere at Trinity Church in 1770.

WQXR's annual broadcast of Messiah is hosted by David Garland with additional commentary from conductor and organist Kent Tritle.

Pg from NYC

Glorious!

Dec. 24 2014 01:29 PM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Sunday was the 21st, and we did hear a broadcast which I thought was live. Now I'm not sure. Anyway, I would like to go on record as saying that I wish the early music performance practice zealots would get over the whole countertenor thing. I've heard enough of them for the rest of my life. I like hearing mezzos or contraltos singing the alto parts, however nineteenth century that may be. And, perhaps because I am a bass-baritone and have sung these solos, I prefer hearing "But who may abide . . ." sung by a bass. Though Sunday night's soprano was great, i think the Old Testament ferocity comes across better with a bass (I know I risk being called a male chauvinist for saying that, but so be it!).

An interesting side note (which I also noted last year, so was this a rebroadcast??): hearing Jeff Spurgeon's commentary from 2001. He sounds like a real person, not like the Ted Baxter character he has become of late.

Dec. 24 2014 08:59 AM
Shepsl Topaz from Jackson Heights, Queens

Where's the fire?!! I've noticed Wachner likes to take breakneck tempi that often get in the way of line and subtlety. So the musicians can get all the notes. So what? This isn't supposed to be feel like a competition between performer and music. The performer may win, but the music loses. Give me much more relaxed tempi that likely reflect Baroque reality and allow this wonderful music to come out. Well, at least the Hallelujah chorus was allowed to be musical.

Dec. 21 2014 09:09 PM
Marcial from New York

I am listening to that broadcast at this moment. Being a lover of this masterpiece, I can say that this is one of the very best performances I've ever heard. My question: is it possible to get a recording of the performance? I definitely need it!

Dec. 21 2014 07:58 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield

So we have to settle for a rebroadcast from last year (with the same commentary)? I'll listen to one of my own CD's of Messiah instead, thanks.

Dec. 21 2014 03:20 PM

From above:

"Airs Sunday, Dec. 21 at 7 pm and Available for On-Demand Listening Below
Monday, December 23, 2013"

So, is the 2013 performance being (re)broadcast on Sunday, Dec. 21, 2014?

If so, 2014 would be helpful to put that in your listing. DD~~

(pssst, it's called communication)

Dec. 21 2014 01:56 AM

So, what's the 2014 date and time? Since this is now on WQXR's home page on Friday, Dec. 19, 2014?

DD~~ (Not that I'll be listening)

Dec. 19 2014 03:21 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I noticed you changed the dates on your Christmas programming schedule for the broadcast of Handel's Messiah to December 22 (the actual date it was broadcast, although one wouldn't have known that by looking at your schedule). It would have been nice if you had listed the correct date on your website in the first place - it was there for the past three weeks.
So now I missed the original broadcast - fortunately, I will be able to listen to it when it is rebroadcast (are you sure those are the correct dates?)

Dec. 23 2013 07:16 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

So it WAS broadcast on Sunday evening! I thought I heard wrong the other day when on WQXR I heard them say the broadcast would be on Sunday, but when I looked at the website it was listed for Monday. Oh, well, I watched "The Sound of Music" on Sunday night, and I look forward to hearing the broadcast of Messiah tonight! Just wanted to let you know that someone else was confused by this broadcast schedule.

Dec. 23 2013 11:55 AM
BJK from NYC

Could someone at WQXR programming please explain why the Trinity Church Messiah broadcast for tonight, Sun Dec 22, starting at 7 PM is NOT listed on the schedule above?
I checked this schedule, noted the 'air dates', then just happened to turn on the station at ~ 8 pm to discover the 'live' broadcast 'already in progress', Part I over.
Why the confusion?