The Holiday Channel Returns with Carols, Yuletide Favorites

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Christmas trees for sale in Manhattan Christmas trees for sale in Manhattan (Andrew F. Kazmierski / Shutterstock.com)

LISTEN TO THE WQXR HOLIDAY CHANNEL

WQXR is bringing the Christmas spirit with the return of our annual all-classical holiday channel. Starting Saturday, Dec. 1 through January 6, we'll stream continuous seasonal music, 24/7.

Expect beloved carols and festive winter songs; opulent orchestral arrangements and pared-down period ensembles; grandiose choirs and intimate chamber groups.

→ View the playlist in real-time

The playlist will include old favorites as well as such new releases as:

• Canadian Brass: "Christmastime is Here" - based on the Charlie Brown Christmas classic (Steinway)
  • The Bach Choir of Bethlehem: "A Child's Christmas in Bethlehem" (Analekta)
  • Choir of King's College, Cambridge: "Christmas-time Carols: 24 Carols for Christmas & Advent"
  • Theater of Voices, Paul Hillier, conductor: "Carols From The Old & New Worlds"
  • Handel and Haydn Society, Harry Christophers, conductor: "Joy to the World: An American Christmas" (Coro)
  • Harmonie Ensemble: Ellington & Strayhorn/Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suites (Harmonia Mundi)
  • Choir of King's College, Cambridge: Britten's Saint Nicolas

And many others...

Candice from Buffalo

This "Holiday Stream" on WQXR online is just w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l !!! I've been telling everybody I can about it, up here in the snowy wilds of Buffalo. But can anybody help me with this question? The other day I heard the announcer say, in referring to this stream, "Less Santa, more.....?" I didn't catch the last word and I'd like to use the phrase when I tell my friends, colleagues and other classical music afficionados about this stream.

Thanks WQXR, you've made me very happy for this Christmas season!

Dec. 12 2013 11:15 AM

Ed from Florida says: Love having the holiday channel back again. I agree with others who complained about the volume. I's also love to have some announcements about who and what is playing. I know I can look it up, but I'm usually doing something else on the computer at the time I'm listening and have a differenct screen up. Thanks again and to all the other listeners, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Kwanza and whatever else you may be celebrating.

Dec. 11 2013 12:31 PM
Carolann from Mendham, NJ

I love the Holiday Channel, but is there a way for you to boost the volume?
Even with my speakers on max unless I am directly in front of my computer,I can hardly hear some of the music.
I just love the "less Santa, more sanctus"!

Dec. 06 2013 11:21 AM
Brunnhilde from nyc

Thanks, WQXR. A very welcome channel. Hey Bernie, if people love Beethoven's Ninth, let them love it! It's a "nice piece"!! Why do I go most often to my favorite restaurant??? Order the same meal that I love.....? I love it, I love the Ninth. I think I always will. It covers all parts of my psyche and emotion. There are other wonderful pieces, but they don't fit the bill. On to the Ninth!

Dec. 03 2013 08:04 AM
Suzanne

When listening to WQXR in the weekday mornings I make sure that my radio remote is close by so that I can turn off the news.

Radio announcers pick what news they will broadcast with the format in mind: international, national, local. Every morning the chosen newscast topic for international is yet ANOTHER killing in the Middle East. Guess what? That's not news. There's ALWAYS a bombing in the Middle East.

I remember when Sam Hall reported the news. He had different international flavors that he chose to report. And some were actually positive and sometimes included ecological events that were just as much on a par with the Middle East disasters.

Can't there be different news to report (even positive) ... once-in-a-while ... that happens somewhere? Must it always center around the Middle Eastern travesties?

Dec. 01 2013 09:50 AM
Bernie from UWS

Great to have the holiday stream back. Now the question is, will Beethoven's Ninth win the classical countdown again this year, as it has every year since the beginning of time? Um...yes and yes. But let's try and get some variety on the list otherwise, folks. What do you say?

Dec. 01 2013 09:24 AM