Indianapolis Opera Faces Uncertainty After Longtime Director Quits

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Indianapolis Opera production of 'The Threepenny Opera' Indianapolis Opera production of 'The Threepenny Opera' (Denis Ryan Kelly Jr.)

The Indianapolis Opera, founded in 1975 and the only professional opera company in Indiana, has had a rocky season. Its fourth and final production, of Britten's Albert Herring, was cancelled due to a lack of funds and poor ticket sales. The company has been without an executive director since John Pickett left in May 2013, and also without a head of fundraising.

The other shoe dropped on Wednesday when artistic director James Caraher resigned after 33 years in the job. The company says it is holding off on announcing its 2014-15 until funding is more secure. “We don’t want to embark on a season and have to cancel another production,” general manager Carol Baker told the Indianapolis Business Journal.

The method of Caraher's resignation was particularly surprising to some observers: it came in an e-mail to Indianapolis's board of directors. He could not be reached for further comment. "When you deal with personnel issues, there's only so much someone can say about that," Baker told the IBJ.

"This is a big loss for us," Baker added. "It’s not going to derail us, but it opens to the door to different conversations."

The upheaval in Indianapolis comes as the financially troubled San Diego Opera is trying to revamp itself after supporters urged it to rescind a decision to shut down at the end of April. It has placed its general and artistic director, Ian Campbell, on paid leave, as well as his ex-wife, Ann Spira Campbell, who is a high-ranking administrator in the company.

Earlier this week, San Diego announced a fundraising campaign to raise $1 million by May 19 in order to ensure its survival. It had brought in just over $500,000 as of Friday afternoon.

Tags:

More in:

Comments [3]

<The company says it is holding off on announcing its 2014-15 until funding is more secure.>
??? Its 2014-15 what? Season? Director?

May. 04 2014 02:50 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Another one bites the dust. On Some of the extras for the film of LaBoheme,
the director of the film said that the hope for future success of opera would be film of the operas. He might be right. I am homebound and enjoyed the dvd of the opera. It would be a terrible blow to the world of music if this art form dies.

May. 03 2014 11:19 AM
Sanford Rothenberg from Brooklyn

This comes as yet another blow to American opera.The MET is facing horrendous labor negotiations prior to the 2014-5 season,and the demise of NYCO is still being felt.We can only hope that the companies in San Diego and Indianapolis can be salvaged,and that there will be better times in New York.

May. 03 2014 02:04 AM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.

The WQXR e-newsletter. Show highlights, links to music news, on-demand concerts, events from The Greene Space and more.

Follow WQXR 

 

 

 

 

Sponsored

About Operavore

LISTEN TO THE OPERAVORE 24/7 STREAM

Operavore is WQXR's digital 24/7 audio stream, blog and weekly radio show devoted to Opera. The Operavore blog features breaking news, expert commentary and reviews by writers Fred Plotkin, David Patrick Stearns and Amanda Angel. The stream features a continuous, carefully programmed mix of classic and contemporary opera recordings. The Operavore radio show on WQXR, features opera news bulletins from the around the globe, previews of new recordings, and interviews with the players and personalities on the scene.

Follow Operavore 

Feeds