Listen: Rob Ford, The Opera

Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 06:00 PM

It was bound to happen. A "Rob Ford Opera," commissioned by CBC Radio and sung by emerging artists from Calgary Opera, has gone viral on YouTube.

Calgary Opera's resident conductor Topher Mokrzewski wrote and arranged the "Toreador Song" from Bizet's Carmen to be sung from the perspective of the embattled Toronto mayor. Alex Beley and Tyler Fitzgerald are the vocalists. Listen and follow along with the lyrics below:

Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

It might beg the question, but why would someone spend time watching a parody of someone who obviously has a severe psychological or mental illness fifteen times, it would be like listening to a parody on Helen Keller and laughing at it fifteen times. So much for political correctness. God Speed, Charles Fischbein, Front Royal, Va.

Nov. 20 2013 09:53 AM
Barak Isaac from Freeport, New York

This is awesome, I've watched this like 15 times.

Nov. 19 2013 07:00 PM
Silversalty from Brooklyn

It's not even a new idea:

Nov. 19 2013 04:55 PM
Charles Fischbein from Front Royal, Va.

Fact check time.
I could find no source anywhere for there being a complete Opera written on Mr. Ford and his illness.
As far as i could learn from Canadian news sources it was Calgary Opera Conductor, Mr/ Topher Mokrzewski who adapted words to an well know tune as a parody.
If I am incorrect please let me know, otherwise you should change your banner as there may be no Opera written just a short four ,minute parody. Hopefully you will respect the facts, however if your have more information than I could find, please expand, I would like to see the rest of the libretto. God Speed, Charles Fischbein

Nov. 19 2013 12:59 PM
WQXR

Folks, a reminder about WQXR's comments policy: We ask that all comments please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief. Personal attacks and racist, sexist or homophobic remarks will be removed from the site. The full comment guidelines are below. Thank you for your cooperation.

Nov. 19 2013 09:34 AM

Apart from any personal political positions I may have, I think the idea of an opera on Mayor Ford's situation is excellent. Think of all of the other characters who could show up in the course of the opera: Marion Berry, Mark Sanford, Bill Clinton, Sen. Vitter, Eliot Spitzer, Gov. Blazhevich...., the list would be endless. I was even thinking this opera would benefit by being in Italian and I would call it 'Cosi fan Tutte'....but some hack beat me to that one.

Nov. 18 2013 04:24 PM
Robert St.Onge from Cochiti Lake,NM

My, my ,how interesting! "That is what a leader is supposed to do, lead and take stands based on his/her personal ethics and not be driven by political polls." And yet this comes from a person who vehemently castigated Peter Gelb for producing Nico Muhly's 'Two Boys' at the Met to less than sold-out houses. Really! I mean Really!! One of the prime responsibilities of an impressario is to refresh and further the art form with new works. One hand of the quotee does not seem to know what the other is doing, never mind thinking, all so that he can score specious political points. He just seems incapable of any consistent thought processes. That is what my 'personal ethics' is telling me.

Nov. 18 2013 02:02 PM
Sanford Rothenberg from Brooklyn

This is the comedic gift that keeps on giving.Ford,a combination of Chris Farley and Chris Christie,has opened himself up to ridicule through his own actions.Perhaps a better choice for an operatic parody would be "L'Onore!" from "Falstaff".

Nov. 18 2013 03:42 AM