The Philadelphia Orchestra with Joyce DiDonato

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Philadelphia Orchestra with conductor Maurizio Benini, soprano Laura Claycomb, mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato and tenor Lawrence Brownlee The Philadelphia Orchestra with conductor Maurizio Benini, Laura Claycomb, Joyce DiDonato and Lawrence Brownlee (Richard Termine)

Every Tuesday night, we're re-broadcasting a concert from the 2014-15 season of Carnegie Hall Live. Tonight at 9 pm, hear the Philadelphia Orchestra along with a powerhouse cast of opera singers – mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato, soprano Laura Claycomb and tenor Lawrence Brownlee – in an evening of bel canto arias, scenes and orchestral selections. Claycomb replaced Nicole Cabell, who has cancelled due to illness.

The musical focus of the evening combines explosive vocal fireworks, soaring melodies and sprightly orchestral textures. Music from Donizetti's Maria di Rohan and L'elisir d'amore, Bellini's I Capuleti e i Montecchi, and Rossini's Zelmira will be performed, along with other pieces. The program marks the conclusion of DiDonato's season-long Carnegie Hall Perspectives series.

Note: Due to artist permissions, Rossini's Overture to Aureliano in Palmira is not included in the archived broadcast.

WQXR's Jeff Spurgeon and soprano Deborah Voigt co-host the broadcast. Listen to Spurgeon's interview with DiDonato:

Program Details (with select arias for on-demand listening):

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Maurizio Benini, Conductor
Joyce DiDonato, Mezzo-Soprano
Lawrence Brownlee, Tenor
Laura Claycomb, soprano

ROSSINI Overture to Aureliano in Palmira (*Not included in archived broadcast)
CARAFA "L'amica ancor non torna ... Oh, di sorte crudel" from Le nozze di Lammermoor
DONIZETTI "Una furtiva lagrima" from L'elisir d'amore

DONIZETTI "Prendi, per me sei libero" from L'elisir d'amore
PACINI "Ove t'aggiri, o barbaro" from Stella di Napoli

BELLINI "Oh! quante volte" from I Capuleti e i Montecchi

BELLINI "Oh! mia Giulietta" from I Capuleti e i Montecchi
DONIZETTI "La maîtresse du roi... Ange si pur" from La favorita

ROSSINI "Reidi al soglio" from Zelmira

We asked you to share your thoughts during the concert on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #CHLive. Below is a collection of your tweets and photos.

Re. the Storify/Twitter stuff, I wish that it was an option (scrolling through all of that social media stuff is tiresome). Re the #ticketphoto, while I enjoyed the concert for free on the radio (thank you, WQXR), the $122 price tag would have been well out of my comfort zone.

DD~~

Mar. 20 2015 03:28 AM

@ KBL, aren't you from New Jersey? How can you not know the spelling of your own governor's name, Chris Christie? Do you still stand by your "Trustan" reference?

While I am not a heldentenor, I did enjoy the bel canto broadcast.

DD~~

Mar. 19 2015 09:43 PM

lanhamj
Kenneth Bennet Lane: Oh, shut up (please)

Mar. 17 2015 08:13 PM

Ianhamj, you must be a disciple of St. Chris Christy, who also is GUILTY of shuting down LANES of the George Washington Bridge. He's MOST FAMOUS for shouting SHUT UP at anyone and everyone no matter who they were, high government or business executive. He's colorful but his future in politics is murky black !!! www.WagnerOpera.com

Mar. 18 2015 11:32 PM

@ Karen, I believe that it's audio only. I am NOT an echt ... never mind.

DD~~

Mar. 18 2015 09:03 PM
Karen Ditman from Silver Spring, MD

Are there any visuals on this performance? I have the audio but no way to view that I can find. Thank you.

Mar. 18 2015 08:12 PM

p.s. I am looking forward to the live broadcast with Ms. DiDonato et al., even though I'm not a huge opera fan. I find her artistry superb.

DD~~

Mar. 18 2015 07:42 PM

@ Ellen, excellent questions.

@ Mr. Lane, I know TRISTAN. Unfortunately you introduced the name "Trustan" -- it was buried in the densely lengthy not-on-topic portion of your first post in this Comments section. And I quote, "... Melchior's singing of the role of Trustan."

DuckDeadeye (a male contributor to these threads and to WQXR)

Mar. 18 2015 07:36 PM
Ellen from West Chester, PA from West Chester, PA

Why does WQXR continue to allow the extremely long and blatantly self-serving posts of Kenneth Bennett Lane to intrude on us? The instructions say, stay on topic, which he never does, his topic is himself. He is civil if largely irrelevant. He is most certainly not brief. I doubt he understands the meaning of the word.

Mar. 18 2015 12:50 PM

The Philadelphia Orchestra had under Maestro Eugene Ormandy many concerts with opera singers that are on recordings that are among the best trepresentations of their career performances. I am surprised that someone who represents herself as a classical fan does not know the quintessential Wagner music drama TRISTAN ! www.WagnerOpera.com

Mar. 18 2015 10:12 AM

@lanhamj, I'm with you.

Stuff like "There are ,many super talents vocal and instrumental that are being disregarded. Like wars, no one in the rend wins. ... I ... Melchior's singing of the role of Trustan. ..." doesn't make any sense here.

And who (what) is Trustan?

DD~~

p.s. This is what 'brief' looks like.

Mar. 18 2015 01:09 AM
lanhamj

Kenneth Bennet Lane: Oh, shut up (please)

Mar. 17 2015 08:13 PM

JOYCE DI DONATO is a fine choice for a concert of baroque music with the wonderful Philadelphia Orchestra.
In trhe 1930s Maestro Eugene Ormandy had c oncerts recorded with the then current opera stars KIRSTEN FLAGSTAD and LAURITZ MELCHIOR. There has never been before or since on record of any singer in their fach that in any way is comparable. We abandon talent at our risk. There are ,many super talents vocal and instrumental that are being disregarded. Like wars, no one in the rend wins. Composer/performers have had a sterling success in worldwide music performance. Paderevski , Rachmaninoff, Sarasate, Paganini, Liszt and Chopin are just the most illustrious examples of the total musician, creative and re-creative. I started my composing at age 10 and interest in singing at the same time, influenced by New York radio station WNYC's broadcasts on the Masterwork Hour of a Toscanini recording of Siegfried's Rhine Journey and Funeral March and the following week of Melchior's singing of the role of Trustan. Years later I hosted my own program on WNYC, Operatic Spotlight, in which I interviewed MET OPERA singers and sang myself arias or duets with the guests. I am an echt Wagnerian heldentenor with many years of experience singing the heavier roles in the German, Italian, French and Russian operas. My next concert in New York is on Saturday, March 21st, 2015 for the New Life Expo at NYC's Pennsylvania Hotel, 33rd Street and 7th Avenue at 8 PM in the Madison venue on the 18th floor.. It will be the 4th Reprise of my 4 three hour long main hall, Isaac Stern Auditorium, Carnegie Hall solo concerts in which I sang nearly 100 selections. . The concert will be in 8 languages: German, Italian, French, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Latin and English. The composers represented will be Wagner, Verdi, Beethoven, Handel, Grieg, Sibelius, Jacopo Peri, Cilea, Halevy, Gastaldon and Alvarez. The entire 12 hours of selections sung at Carnegie Hall will be presented in a series of 12 single hour concerts on tour along with The 300 Greatest Love Songs of Broadway Musicals, the Movies and the Grammys, also sung in concerts and on DVD. My singing may be downloaded, free, at Recorded Selections at my websites www.WagnerOpera.com, www.ShakespeareOpera.com and www.RichardWagnerMusicDramaInstitute.com. I am also an opera composer ["Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare"] and director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute in Boonton, NJ where there is training for actors for all the roles of the Shakespeare's plays and for big-voiced singers for all the Wagner opera roles.

Mar. 17 2015 05:07 PM