3-Minute Opera: Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Martina Serafin as the Marschallin and Alice Coote as Octavian in Strauss's 'Der Rosenkavalier.' Martina Serafin as the Marschallin and Alice Coote as Octavian in Strauss's "Der Rosenkavalier." (Photo: Jonathan Tichler/Metropolitan Opera)

Give WQXR morning host Jeff Spurgeon three minutes and he'll give you a Richard Strauss opera. For Strauss Week, Spurgeon breaks down Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier in a New York minute (or three).

Fred from Queens

I'm clearly the outlier on this one, but these "lighthearted" three minute synopses are really tedious. Mr. Spurgeon please "stick to your last" and let the professionals like Anna Russell and others do the humor.

(If WQXR/WNYC only took a good look in the mirror, they would see how similar they are to commercial radio.)

Jun. 16 2014 12:52 AM
Benita Ober from Cary, NC

Absolutely LOVE LOVE the 3 Minute Operas no matter how many times I hear you say them. Thanks

Jun. 15 2014 01:07 PM
BobbyB from Georgia

Ok, Mr. Spurgeon - I don't hear any negatives - hint, hint...

Jun. 13 2014 10:54 PM
Robby from paramus, nj

Yes, I would buy them on CD or download if they were on itunes. These 3 minute Operas are so cleverly done - very entertaining!

Jun. 13 2014 08:39 PM
LEE APT from UWS - NYC

I TOO LOVE THESE 3-MINUTE OPERAS. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! I LOOK FORWARD TO EACH ONE. I LOVED THE LA BOHEME A WHILE BACK, AND HAVE ENJOYED THE STRAUSS ONES TREMENDOUSLY. VERY CLEVERLY DONE, MR. SPURGEON. I HOPE YOU WILL CONTINUE TO DO THESE. THANK YOU.

Jun. 12 2014 11:30 PM
Mary Heller from Poughkeepsie

I agree with suggestion to put these 3 minute opera reviews on a CD. They are super and would entice even the most "opera dissident" into the fold of loving opera!

Jun. 12 2014 10:38 PM
Christine from Glen Ridge, NJ

LOVE the 3 minute summary. Noticed that there is a very short trill of flute and bells that reminds me of a moment in Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella.

I keep listening to each rebroadcast to see if I can specify the moment in your 3 minute recap to look it up on the CD.

If you can direct me to that particular moment, then PLEASE reply!

Jun. 12 2014 06:16 PM
Terry Ballard from Merrick, NY

Salome brightened my day yesterday while crossing the Throg's Neck Bridge, and I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard in radio. That lasted until today when I heard the Rosenkavalier summary. Keep up the outstanding work!

Jun. 12 2014 03:44 PM
BobbyB from Georgia

Wholeheartedly agree with Adele and Kurt - an absolute delight!!

Jun. 11 2014 11:30 PM

Deftly done, Mr. Spurgeon.

DD~~

Jun. 11 2014 09:33 PM
Adele & Kurt Ottenheimer from Long Beach, NY

Jeff Spurgeon: your " 3-minute operas" are an absolute delight!
Suggestion:Why not put them on a CD and/or print them in a booklet to be offered as a premium during a pledge drive?
Thank you.

Jun. 11 2014 04:56 PM
JAU from Somerset

Loved it when I heard it yesterday morning. Glad you put it online so I can share it.

Jun. 11 2014 11:02 AM
Sanford Rothenberg from Brooklyn

The current digital equivalent would be the 140 character tweet.One for "Rosenkavalier" might be:Young love triumphs,old lecher and bored hausfrau left lonely.Virtue rewarded,boorishness punished.Beautiful trio,waltzes too!!!#silverroses

Jun. 11 2014 02:02 AM