Video Webcast: Chiara String Quartet Plays From Memory

Concert Takes Place on Friday, March 21 at 7 pm

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The award-winning Chiara String Quartet has performed in the world’s music capitals, commissioned new pieces and made a Grammy-nominated recording. This season, they are scaling a very different artistic Everest – they'll be performing their concerts completely by heart.

In fact, they are about to release a new album including the first three string quartets of Brahms, all recorded entirely from memory, without relying on any printed music.

Join us for an exclusive evening of music and conversation with the dynamic quartet as they tell us about their feat and, for the first time in New York City, perform music of Ravel, Bartok and Brahms – the beautiful Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 51 No. 2 – all by heart. Hosted by WQXR’s Annie Bergen.

@Tim. Since the article is about a string quartet playing sans score or music stands and I said, "... as I also stated, I saw a world-class string quartet playing standard rep -- with scores," I stand by my case-by-case basis presumption. (It was the Hugo Wolf Quartet.)

Re. your comment, "... why are pianists in conservatories required to have their recitals memorized (including modern pieces) ... ," I stand by my, "The solo pianist I saw/heard at the Austrian Culture Forum New York played with score(s). But they were contemporary pieces." Indeed, I have seen recitals by Juilliard-trained pianists where standard rep was played from memory while a contemporary piece would be played from a score.

Simone Dinnerstein did the same thing recently, if I recall correctly.

Not contrarian. Case-by case.

Mar. 22 2014 07:30 PM
Tim

@DuckDeadeye. If solo pianists aren't usually expected to have their music memorized, then why does it make the news when the big shots use a score? And, why are pianists in conservatories required to have their recitals memorized (including modern pieces) while other instrumentalists aren't necessarily? Are you seriously unaware of this, or are you just a contrarian?

Mar. 22 2014 02:04 PM

Yes ... and no. The solo pianist I saw/heard at the Austrian Culture Forum New York played with score(s). But they were contemporary pieces. Not part of the standard rep.

So I say it's on a case-by-case basis. And as I also stated, I saw a world-class string quartet playing standard rep -- with scores.

DD~~

Mar. 22 2014 12:23 AM
Tim

@DeadDuckeye Uh huh... pianist accompanying singers or playing chamber music typically use music.... Solo pianist are pretty much expected to have the music memorized.... I assumed that classical music fans would be aware of this double standard, but in light of your comment, perhaps I was wrong....

Mar. 20 2014 12:59 PM

I dunno, Tim. I just saw the Hugo Wolf quartet live at the Brooklyn Museum and there was lots of page turning. In standard repertoire -- Haydn and Schubert.

And the vocal recital I saw on Saturday had no printed music for the vocalist but sheet music (and a page turner) for the accompanist.

DD~~

Mar. 18 2014 11:37 PM

The Chiara String Quartet, this is going to be amazing.

Mar. 18 2014 06:15 PM
Tim

Wow, string players playing an entire concert from memory! What's next, pianists playing entire concerts from memory?

Mar. 18 2014 12:27 PM