Vienna Philharmonic Plays Mozart, Bruckner and Staud

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Vienna Philharmonic (smwright/flickr)

The Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by Franz-Welser Most, returns to Carnegie Hall as part of the hall's nearly month-long Vienna festival. This program features three works closely associated with that city, starting with Mozart's Symphony No. 28 and ending with Bruckner's Symphony No. 6.

In between comes a recent work: Johannes Maria Staud's On Comparative Meteorology is based on a short story by Polish author Bruno Schulz and consists of six short pieces. It was Premiered by the Ensemble Modern and conductor Pierre Boulez in 2010.

Program:

Mozart: Symphony No. 28

Johannes Maria Staud: On Comparative Meteorology

Bruckner: Symphony No. 6

Programming Note: WQXR's Conducting Business looks at the recent revelations around the Vienna Philharmonic's actions during World War II, and at the questions of diversity within the ensemble.

We asked you to share your thoughts during the concert in Carnegie Hall's live chat or on Twitter using the hashtag #CHLive. Below is a collection of your chat comments, tweets and photos.

Dear Mr. Lane,

Have you seen these guidelines? "Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief."

Try them some time.

DD~~
I am not an echt heldentenor.

Mar. 01 2014 01:51 AM
Tom K from Wburg

What is this song I'm listening to now? It's a women's chorus, haunting an beautiful. It's amazing. If someone knows the name I'd love to know.

Feb. 26 2014 10:43 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

The mastery of this nonpareil orchestra, as always expected, was in evidence in the bright sound for the Mozart symphony and contrasted by the warm brass sound that predominate the Bruckner symphony. In the Mozart Symphony No. 28, clarity was apparent and salubrious in the traditional first violins seating on the left and the second violins on the right of the podium. First movement, Allegro spiritoso, C major, 3-4. Second movement, Andante, F major, 2-4. The muted violins were perfectly balanced as they sung the principal melodic line. Third movement, Menuetto Ellegretto C major, 3-4. There was a tasteful rallantando after the Trio played by the strings before the repeat. Fourth movement Presto, C major Alla breve. There was a crescendo in the Coda to the final bar. The Bruckner Symphony No. 6, so redolent of "Tristan und Isolde"-like harmonic progressions especially evident in the many sequences, shone with unforced tone yet massive sonority when called for. First movement, Maestoso, A major, Alla breve. Excellent articulation of the eighth-sixteenth-triplet figuration throughout. Second movement, Adagio Sehr Feirlich, F major, Common time. One continuous long-line from beginning to end. Third movement, Scherzo Ruhib bewegt (etwas gemessen) a minor, 3-4, Same dynamic was heard just as written in the tutti sequences. In the Trio, the horns were exemplary over the pizzicato strings. Finale Bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell a minor, A Major, Common time. The reappearance of the eigth-sixteenth-triplet figuration was clearly heard and the overall impression is a combination of awe and complete satisfaction. The piece by Staud, "On Comparative Meteorology" I leave to enthusiasts and advocates.

Feb. 26 2014 10:21 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

A glorious performance of the Bruckner 6th Symphony! WQXR, thank you for broadcasting this; and as I've said before, please include this symphony in your afternoon programming occasionally. It can really lift you up out of that post-lunchtime slump!

Feb. 26 2014 10:07 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I am looking forward to listening to Franz Welser-Most and the Vienna Philharmonic perform the Bruckner 6th Symphony! This symphony is a sparkling gem ensconced between his magnificent 5th and glorious 7th symphonies.
I can't understand why WQXR won't play this symphony during its regular daytime programming. It isn't too long; would fit nicely within a one-hour time slot (heaven forfend that anything should run over an hour!).
How about it WQXR? Please add the Bruckner 6th to your daytime playlist soon!

Feb. 24 2014 08:38 PM

I have lived in Wien, Vienna, across from the Theater an der Wien [the original venue of the world premieres of Mozart's DIE ZAUBERFLOETE and Beethoven's FIDELIO] and at the Hotel Reither a few blocks from the West Bahnhof, Vienna's major railroad station. I did my food shopping at the Farmers Market which like in Barcelona and Sofia [Bulgaria] is both good and inexpensive. Some of my voice teachers were major opera stars who happened to be Jewish: Friedrich Schorr, Alexander Kipnis and Margarete Matzenauer and the symphony conductor, born in Vienna, Siegfried Landau [who founded the Brooklyn Philharmonic]. They in all the years that I studied with them never mentioned that there was any anti-semitic action against them. That might logically have been because they were so famous and accomplished in their art I LOVE WIEN, but I love New York more. I am a Wagnerian romantischer heldentenor. I will sing the four song cycles that are most often performed in their orchestral garb:the complete Wagner's "Wesendonck Lieder," the complete Mahler's "Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen," the tenor's music in Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" and Waldemar's music in Schoenberg's "Gurre-Lieder" at the New Life Expo at the Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC on Saturday March 22nd at 6 PM in the Gold Room on the second floor. I have sung four three-hour-long solo concerts, the last two ALL-WAGNER concerts, in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall including programming the Wagner and the first named Mahler song cycle. One may hear my singing LIVE from the main hall, the Isaac Stern Auditorium of CARNEGIE HALL, from my four three-hour-long solo concerts by downloading, FREE, 37 out of the nearly 100 selections that I have sung there by going to RECORDED SELECTIONS on my websites www.WagnerOpera.com, www.ShakespeareOpera.com and www.RichardWagnerMusicDramaInstitute.com Roles represented from live performances are Otello, Siegfried, Goetterdaemmerung Siegfried, Florestan, Tristan, Parsifal, Siegmund, Walther von Stolzing, Rienzi, Lohengrin,

Feb. 23 2014 10:41 PM