Webcast: Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii in The Greene Space

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Japanese pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii performs live in The Greene Space (Stephanie Black)

Nobuyuki Tsujii, the blind Japanese pianist who tied for the gold medal at the 2009 Van Cliburn Competition, came to The Greene Space on Tuesday, Jan. 14 for an evening of music and conversation. He performs works by Chopin and Liszt as well as his own compositions. WQXR's Elliott Forrest hosted the event, which was sold out but was webcast live on this page (watch the archive below).

Blind from birth, Tsujii has had a string of career successes since his 2009 Cliburn victory. Last year he gave a well-received BBC Proms debut playing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No 2 with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra. He made his New York recital debut in Carnegie Hall in 2011. The pianist returns to Carnegie for a performance of the Beethoven “Emperor” concerto with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on January 25.

Tsujii has attracted a strong following from the visually-impaired community as well as from audiences in his native Japan.

M. L. Liu from California, U.S.A.

It is now October 2014 and it is with sadness that I think that this webcast will soon no longer be available online.
It is good to read others' comments on Nobu, and I hope he will continue to receive support in the U.S.
I want to thank Mr. Elliott Forrest for his knowledgeable commentary on Nobuyuki Tsujii and his excellent conversation with him. I especially admire the way that Mr. Forrest brought up Nobu's blindness unobtrusively. And I appreciate the extra effort on the audio broadcast to dub in excellent English translation. A class act all the way. Thank you, WQXR!

Oct. 03 2014 01:07 PM
Ed Lubin from Florida

I heard this brilliant pianist at the Capitol Theatre in Tampa last month. His playing is nothing short of sublime. A very moving performance. Can't wait to hear the Greene Space rebroadcast!

Apr. 25 2014 09:46 AM
M. L. Liu from California

I just listened to the radio version of this webcast on WQXR. If you want to understand what Nobu said during the webcast, listen to that radio segment - it will air again this Sunday Jan 26 at 11PM on WQXR. The interpretation is much easier to understand on the radio show.

I have been told that the audio of that radio segment should also become available on demand on this same page.

The radio special also has inserts of other Nobu recordings such as "Pictures at an Exhibition" performed at his Carnegie Hall debut. The sound quality of the segment is impressive. I highly recommend listening to it. Kudos to WQXR!

Jan. 22 2014 11:18 PM
M. L. Liu from California

Hi, Bernie from UWS,
I saw your post just now (Jan 22).

>He has a little Stevie Wonder going on. Could you ask him if he's a fan of Wonder's work?
Nobu was/is indeed a fan of Mr. Wonder. Nobu had said in Japan that before the Cliburn, the happiest day was the day that he ran into Mr. Wonder somewhere in Japan. Nobu was/is a big jazz fan - he went to New Orleans not long after the Cliburn win to experience the music there -- there used to be a YouTube video that has footage of him at a Orleans jazz bar.
I consider myself something of an expert on Nobu, having followed his career in earnest since his Cliburn days - please visit

Jan. 22 2014 04:35 PM
al moore from st cloud mn

I attended the finals of the 2009 Cliburn. As an opinionated, hyper-critical music professor, it was easy to get caught up in the super-analytical, nit-picking criticism and assessment of competitors. Then a performer (who performed rather than competed) came out and affirmed for us, as we wiped away tears, nodded and smiled, what music is really about. Keep spreading the word Nobuyuki!

Jan. 20 2014 01:07 PM
cristina from Florida

If only Chopin could hear Nobu! How happy and greateful he would have been!

Jan. 17 2014 01:45 PM
RachDminor

This young man touches my heart in the deepest ways. I have planned my day around this recital and am so very grateful to you for streaming it for us. Thank you! Bless you, Nobu. May playing remain a joy for you.

Jan. 14 2014 07:23 PM
Bernie from UWS

Jan. 14 2014 07:17 PM
M. L. Liu from California, U.S.A.

It is fantastic news that this event will be viewable on the Internet. Fans of Nobuyuki Tsujii all over the world say a big thanks to WQXR for this generosity!

Nobu has been performing Chopin/Liszt on a recital tour in Japan that has sold out in 19 stops (at venues of 1000+ seats). An event such as this -- in the comfort of a small venue at unthinkably affordable price -- would, in Japan, have people line up for tickets at the crack of dawn. It's not the same, but those of us who cannot be at the Green Space will now be able to view it on the Internet. Thank you, WQXR!

I speak as one who runs an unofficial website for Mr. Tsujii

Jan. 09 2014 12:35 PM