WQXR's 2016 Classical Countdown Results

Thursday, December 01, 2016

New Year's Eve countdown (fotohunter/Shutterstock)

Every year WQXR asks listeners: "What is your favorite piece of classical music?" Based on your responses, these are the 100 most-requested classical pieces in the WQXR 2016 Classical Countdown.

Spread the word and join the conversation using #ClassicalCountdown.

The 2016 Classical Countdown

100. Smetana: Ma Vlast, "The Moldau"
99. Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14
98. J.S. Bach: Concerto for Two Violins in D Minor, BWV 1043
97. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake
96. Sibelius: Finlandia, Op. 26
95. Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B Minor, D. 759, "Unfinished"
94. R. Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier, Op. 59
93. Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43
92. Prokofiev: Symphony No. 1 in D, Op. 25, "Classical"
91. Chopin: Grande Valse Brillante in E-flat, Op. 18
90. Orff: "Carmina Burana"
89. Respighi: Botticelli Triptych
88. R. Schumann: Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54
87. Bizet: Carmen
86. Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 9 in A, Op. 47, “Kreutzer”
85. Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 in C Minor, "Organ"
84. Mozart: Don Giovanni
83. Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53, "Heroic"
82. Mahler: Symphony No. 3 in D Minor
81. Satie: Three Gymnopedies
80. J.S. Bach: St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244
79. Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Op. 74, "Pathetique"
78. Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat, Op. 83
67. Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 73
66. Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21 in C, K. 467
65. Puccini: La Boheme
64. Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture
63. Ravel: Le tombeau de Couperin
62. Monteverdi: L’Orfeo
61. Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C Major, D. 944, "The Great"
60. Ravel: String Quartet in F
59. Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 in E-flat Major, Op. 82
58. Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64
57. Debussy: La mer (The Sea)
56. Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E Minor, Op. 64
55. Mozart: Symphony No. 41 in C, K. 551, "Jupiter"
54.Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
53. Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K. 622
52. Barber: Adagio for Strings, Op. 11
51. Stravinsky: "The Firebird"
50. Mendelssohn: Octet in E-flat, Op. 20
49. Verdi: Messa da Requiem
48. Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D, Op. 35
47. Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
46. J.S. Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232
45. Mozart: Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K. 550
44. Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker
43. Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30
42. Debussy: Arabesque No. 1 in E
41. Gershwin: An American in Paris
40. Brahms:Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, Op. 98
39. Handel: Messiah
38. Copland: Rodeo
37. Mahler: Symphony No. 5 in C-sharp Minor
36. Boccherini: Guitar Quintet in D, G. 448, "Fandango"
35. Debussy: Clair de lune
34. Wagner: Tristan und Isolde
33. Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
32. Schubert: Piano Quintet in A, Op. 114, D. 667, "The Trout"
31. Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man
20. Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 61
19. Faure: Requiem, Op. 48
18. Handel: Water Music
17. J.S. Bach: Goldberg Variations
16. Copland: Appalachian Spring
15. Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
14. Mahler: Symphony No. 1 in D, "The Titan"
13. Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 43
12. Mozart: Requiem Mass in D Minor, K. 626
11. Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Major, Op. 55 "Eroica"
10. Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73, "Emperor"
9. Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18
8. Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C Minor, "Resurrection"
7. J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
6. Holst: The Planets
5. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68 "Pastoral"
4. Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92
3. Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From the New World"
2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67
1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 "Choral"

@James from the UES,

With some work, you can achieve what you're looking for. You'd need to copy/paste this year's to a document and then cross-reference it to the WQXR daily playlists which can be found on a radio button at the top of the WQZR Home page. As of this writing, the lists go back to 12/27, the start of the countdown.

I hope this helps (or that WQXR can suggest/supply an easier solution).

(also on the UES)

Jan. 08 2017 04:12 PM
James from UES/NYC

Personally, I love the list, and the "contest." Sure we all miss a work (or composer) or two that we love, but it's all in good fun and the result is pretty impressive. Now, how do we get a copy ? Is there a way, on this site or some other way, to see/purchase/download the actual recorded version of the works played, the versions QXR played?

Jan. 08 2017 03:44 PM

And ...

... it's ...

... the orchestral version of the RVW Serenade to Music.

Again.

DD~~
p.s. It's still nice to hear it programmed.

Jan. 08 2017 02:06 PM

Aha! I see that WQXR is playing RVW's Serenade to Music today (1/8/17) at 2pm. I wonder which version it will be?

Jan. 08 2017 08:38 AM

This comment speaks to year 'round WQXR programming, but ties in with one of my perennial choices — Vaughan Williams' Serenade to Music. I always specify the vocal version. You know, the way he actually composed it.

Which leads to year 'round programming. This morning I heard Brahms' Liebeslieder Waltzes. It was explained that they were written for four voices with duo piano accompaniment. But, of course, we heard the orchestrated version.

Let's hear some vocal music that is not opera. Let's hear songs, madrigals, etc. Especially as the composers wrote them, before they created an orchestrated version, after the fact.

Jan. 05 2017 11:56 PM
Robert Reminick from Ithaca, NY

I can agree somewhat about the "Top 40" feeling that this list has. Enjoyable still, but it occurred to me that one easy way to "mix it up" more, would be to "limit" each composer to three entries total, or less, based on their popularity.
On the 2016 I see 7 or 8 each of 'Beethoven', 'Mozart', 'Tchaikovsky', 'J.S. Bach'... that's just isn't leaving enough room ...
No matter, a popularity poll, by definition, is never going to do much to promote obscure art.
... & I agree w/ many here ... promoting the obscure is part of the job which I expect from WQXR, they are one of the best Classical stations in the USA ...

Jan. 05 2017 06:23 PM
Chuck from NJ

Good points, Peter. Music can be relaxing and soothing, that's great. That's a legitimate and wonderful function of art. But art is also challenging and subversive, at times even disturbing, which doesn't come through much on the station. There's no edge, especially during the work day. I don't have a problem with playing audience favorites (and I happen to like the movie music they play), but the programming is generally so timid, conservative, repetitive. The goal seems to be innocuousness. I do appreciate the Q2 stream but would it be the worst thing in the world to play something like Ives' "Unanswered Question" or an atonal composition of Carl Ruggles or some John Adams or Luciano Berio on the station once in a while? In 15 minutes a day maybe they could introduce people to new sound worlds.

Jan. 05 2017 09:29 AM
Peter OMalley from Oakland, New Jersey

Marianne from Hudson Heights: I agree with you that WQXR is failing in its mission, especially with the usually vapid "Score at Four" and its steady march forward as a sort of light classical Top 40 station. As to the countdown: having categories would make more sense but would probably make it too unwieldy.
I never bother to vote, but I tend to agree with the choice of Beethoven's Ninth as number 1, since it is such a transcendent work that sums up the power of art, especially music, more than some of the fluff pieces that come in in the upper half of the list. It gives me some hope that the top ten list is usually full of more enduring and powerful works, such as the Mahler Second and Beethoven's Fifth, rather than trivial stuff (like the Rob Roy Overture) which fills most of the broadcast year. But where's the opera?

Jan. 05 2017 08:41 AM

@Barry Owen Furrer, duly half-noted! ;-)

Jan. 05 2017 12:30 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

CAROL, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AS WELL
AND TO EVERYONE AT QXR.

Jan. 04 2017 02:07 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Happy New Year Concetta!
I like your idea; I think it would be interesting to have a countdown for different categories, and it would also allow for more variety.
Best wishes and Happy New Year to everyone!

Jan. 04 2017 01:40 PM

Although it makes dramatic sense to clump them together at the end, and to proclaim the New Year with them in sort of an amiable, frothy cheer, I turn down the radio volume when the Beethovens start rolling in, as I suspect many people do. Watching Tarkovsky's "The Sacrifice," I heard the Ode to Joy coming from the kitchen radio and thought, "H'm, it's 2017!"

Jan. 04 2017 01:27 PM
Barry Owen Furrer

@DuckDeadeye~
My motif was to make leit of the situation while inflicting some PUNishment on the readers.
Happy New Year everyone!

Jan. 04 2017 09:36 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau.

I would like to see different categories for the votes, i.e. symphonies, operas, etc.

Jan. 04 2017 07:07 AM

@Aaron, Marianne and Barry – these Countdown pieces are the votes of listeners. So, no Mozart in the Top 10 and no Papa Haydn is on the listeners, not on WQXR.

For me, there's already plenty of Mozart and Haydn in WQXR's day-to-day programming. And I'll take Bernstein's Chichester Psalms over his West Side Story Dances any day.

For the record, I voted for Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Britten, Vaughan Williams and Copland.

Jan. 04 2017 01:03 AM
Barry Owen Furrer

The absence of Papa Haydn came as a great surprise to me.

Jan. 03 2017 10:48 PM
Marianne from Hudson Heights

I love WQXR but I sometimes think they have forgotten that their charter was issued by the Department of Education of the State of New York. I think of this when they play Gershwin, Bernstein, and other showbiz composers or the old warhorses (Bolero, etc.). That's when I wish my fine radio had a remote control. Listeners become fond of and make favorites of works they hear on WQXR. I was happy to see my favorite Boccherini Fandango on the list this year. I first heard it years ago on WQXR and bought it. Although I'm an octogenarian, I get up and dance to it. I first heard Lully, Boyce. Dr. Arne, Mendelssohn, Handel, (I could go on and on) on WQXR when I was a teenager (seven decades ago). WQXR developed my love of classical music and led to my favorites. I hope WQXR continues to do so for others. But it won't happen if they keep playing movie music. Bring out the great musical treasures -- I know that Public Radio got the original music library. Please don't let those great composers gather dust. Become the educator you are charterd to be.

And thank you for many decades of pure pleasure.

Jan. 03 2017 04:33 PM
UrbanStrategist from New York, NY

I have been listening for many years and enjoyed the Countdown more when it ended on New Year's Day. At whatever time, it's a little hard to appreciate so much Beethoven all at once. Several people asked about the relationship between the list and the programming. I wonder if it isn't circular: people get to "like" what they hear often, and the programmers in turn often schedule what people "like." In the early years of the countdown, there were favorite artists and conductors (Leonard Bernstein was usually #1). I wonder if restoring that format might introduce a little more variety?

Jan. 03 2017 04:15 PM
Aaron from Yonkers

No Mozart in the Top 10?? Love WQXR but...

Jan. 03 2017 02:44 PM
Mihaly Mezei from New York

I am wondering if WQXR is using the CC to influence the programming. If that is so, then over the years the list should converge to an invariant list - the top of the list actually starts to look like that. So I suggest to use the list for programing very carefully.

As for the 'misses' like Haydn (as Terrence mused about) or Bartok (whose Concerto I sorely missed), I wonder if a weighting scheme could not be implemented, so that (a) the lower ranked works of the composers who make the list are weighted further down and (b) for composers who were prolific (like Haydn with over 100 symphonies) the scores could be aggregated in some way (say, sum over symphonies, piano concertos, etc.).

Jan. 03 2017 02:22 PM

No Mahler 8th? ("Symphony of a Thousand") A considerably more mature work than the 2nd (Resurrection) Symphony!, the most successful premiere during Mahler's lifetime and even more spectacular.

Yes, rather lengthy but no one ever accused Uncle Gustave of abbreviating his thoughts, at least in the symphonies.

Perhaps if you could manage to play it more often, or even occasionally, it could make the list.

Jan. 03 2017 12:04 PM
Brunnhilde from NYC

All these picky comments are ridiculous! I think next year WQXR should have the top 5 choices in each of 4 categories: Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary. But then, there probably will be bickering on who is considered classical and who is considered romantic, etc. People like to gripe. I find this little contest perfectly fine, as it is, and Beethoven rocks!! deal with it!

Jan. 03 2017 11:53 AM
Rosanna from NYC

Happy, healthy New Year to all!!!! Perhaps WQXR could expand "Old School" to start at 8PM on Sunday and end at 10 PM. That would allow for playing of longer medieval, Renaissance, & baroque choral works, which might some day turn up in the regular playlist, if not in the classical countdown. Also, I would appreciate more attention to ALL of Beethoven's piano sonatas, not just his symphonies & Razumovskys, to ALL of Mozart's piano sonatas & FANTASIAS, to Mozart's violin/piano sonatas including K. 454, not just his symphonies #29, 40, & 41, and to Schubert's many piano sonatas & fantasias, not just the impromptus!!!!!!!!! The same for Chopin's Etudes & nocturnes, not just the polonaises & preludes! Then there are Schumann's piano sonatas, totally absent. WQXR must still have a vast library of music we rarely get to hear because no one cares to dig into it, or has a lot of it been discarded or sold off in recent yrs?

Jan. 02 2017 06:01 PM
Don From Long Beach

I don't know whether anyone else has addressed this but,on New Year's Eve I always find myself out to dinner so I invariably miss the final three or four works on the list. If I'm lucky I catch the Ode to Joy which by the way extends past midnight. Would it be possible to end the countdown at 6:00 PM as I'm sure others find themselves in the same situation.

Jan. 02 2017 05:31 PM
Michael Cassandra from West Hempstead

I read through these most interesting comments. I look forward to the 100 countdown each year but stop listening as we get close to all the Beethovens at the end. This is more of a question to WQXR programmers. Does the list determine the regular programming you do? There are pieces such as From the New World or West Side Story or American in Paris or The Planets which I hear so frequently on regular programming I turn the radio to any other channel.

Jan. 02 2017 03:16 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

No Borodin?
Wow

Jan. 02 2017 02:49 PM

@John Flory, I'm with you on seeing some sort of analysis re what moved up, what moved down and, more interesting to me, what was new on the list.

@Bob from Milltown, re. Serenade to Music (vocal version), I'm with you 100%.

I've often thought that WQXR is doing itself a real disservice by not exploiting some of the also-rans in their regular programming, i.e., "Here's a piece that did not make our countdown list, but a lot of people voted for it."

Just a thought.

Jan. 02 2017 01:14 AM
Richard from Lynn MA

When I was a kid everyone on Wheel of Fortune picked the letters R S T L N E. After about 1,000 episodes they finally decided to give those letters away at the outset as a given.

My point is we seem to be in a rut, we get the same countdown list every year. Can't we do the same "competition" and just make things like Beethoven 5 and 9 like R S T L N E, put them in some sort of pantheon and move on.

Jan. 01 2017 11:59 PM
Ron Aaronson from Armonk, NY

In the end we were asked to vote for our FAVORITE classical works, not what we considered to be the GREATEST -- and there is a distinction. For instance, someone might recognize that Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is a "greater" work than Clair de Lune, but might just enjoy Clair de Lune more these days. I don't know how else to explain the results of this year's countdown. And that's really the way it should be: I know what I like but I am at a point in my life where it pains me to have to compare one work to another or one composer to another as Tommassini of the NY Times did in choosing his top 10 composers.

But allow me a thought experiment: IF the vote were for what we considered the greatest works AND all voters had what could be described as "mature" or "well-developed" classical music tastes, then it seems to me that being allowed to name only your top 5 greatest would not work at all. There would certainly be some variety, but the names Mozart, Beethoven, Bach an, to be sure, a few others would dominate the voting. Of course, many other composers you could think of would probably get some votes even under my assumptions and you might find some of these making the top 100, but really with relatively very few votes. It seems to me that you would need to allow each voter to name their top 25 or even 50 works to get statistically meaningful results. In that case there are just so many times a voter would pick a Mozart, Beethoven or Bach work before deciding to move on to other composers for some well-meaning variety. Better yet, you should have a rule that a voter cannot include more than 3 works per composer.

I think in even choosing the top 100 Favorites, having only 5 choices also causes skewing of results. The Symphonie Fantastique might not make it into my top 5 nor maybe yours, but possibly my top 10 AND yours! It might have finished much, much stronger if we had been given more selections.

Jan. 01 2017 06:15 PM
Mike from Chatahm,NJ

Respighi: Botticelli Triptych at 89 and Boccherini: Fandango at 36 ???. I smell ballot stuffing. There is no way these pieces are among the 100 most popular pieces among WQXR listeners.

Jan. 01 2017 04:56 PM
Elaine Siebenaler from Nanuet N.Y,

Elaine from Nanuet NY.
May I make a suggestion that the day after the Countdown you list the next ten compositions that failed to win. Maybe even play them during that day. I would to know if Sibelius Violin Concerto was even close . It was no.99 last year and I kept hoping it would also be included. I think that a many 0f your listeners would like to know also. Enough is enough with Beethoven ever year in the final 5 places.

Jan. 01 2017 04:20 PM
Mike from Riverdale, NY

WQXR, please expand the list next year from 100 to 1000. Maybe that way we'll get to hear a work by Haydn - ONLY MAYBE!

Jan. 01 2017 03:52 PM
Bob from Milltown, N.J.

Once again, as I stated earlier, the results (with a few exceptions, like the Resphigi and Boccherini) were sadly predictable. Even Copland would have been embarrassed that "Fanfare for the Common Man" was ranked so high, instead of much more substantial compositions, like his Clarinet Concerto. Quite a few of the "winners" are almost "easy listening." Just because a work is easy to listen to and figure out immediately (thus making it "popular") does not make it a composer's best work. This is true of literature and art, as well. Faulkner's most popular story is "A Rose for Emily" (because it's rather Gothic and lurid), but "Barn Burning," "That Evening Sun," "An Odor of Verbena," etc. are much better composed stories. The same situation applies to works by Dickens, Wharton, Cather, and others. Most folks think Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" is a great poem, but it's Hallmark crap. DaVinci's "Mona Lisa" is hardly his best painting, but it's the one everyone lauds because of its enigmatic quality. I could ramble on and on. Dvorak wrote much better pieces (like the Piano Quintet) than the "New World" Symphony. The same is true of Vaughan Williams. Listen to "Hodie" or the original version of "Serenade to Music" (not the orchestra only version) or the Third Symphony, instead of the tired Tallis fantasy (which most string players loathe playing, as they've had to play it so often). Elgar's "Enigma Variations" are wonderful, but so are his "Introduction and Allegro," Second Symphony, and "Dream of Geronthius." Beethoven's string trios and quartets are more interesting than the Ninth Symphony. The ode tune wasn't a great one when he originally used it in his "Choral Fantasy," years earlier. Schubert's "Trout Quintet" is grossly inferior to his String Quintet. Even the original Trout tune isn't that great. Try out some Poulenc, or Honegger, or Nielsen, or a Haydn mass, or some Renaissance music. There's an awful lot out there that is awesome. Listen to some music by your favorite composers that you DON'T already know. You'll be pleasantly thrilled.

Jan. 01 2017 03:12 PM
Diane from Upper West Side

I - for one - am going to need a lot of music to help me get through 2017 and the incoming Trump Dynasty.

Irrespective of our views on the legitimacy of the Top 100 picks, I believe we can ALL agree that musick soothes the savage breast....now more than ever!

Happy New Year to all and may G-d help us.

Jan. 01 2017 02:13 PM
John Flory from Morristown, NJ

I recall that WQXR conducted the first Favorites Countdown ballot in 1986.
I would like to see an analysis of how various works have moved up and down the favorites list over the years.
What works have become more "popular" what works have lost "popularity".
WQXR has presumably preserved the Favorites lists from previous years and could perform such an analysis or make the lists available to someone to perform the task.

Jan. 01 2017 02:08 PM

Please, please, please??? Could we try to have a countdown in which Beethoven's Ninth is not included? It gets old having it win first place year after year after year. Sure, it's a great work, and I love it, but really, there's so much more in the repertoire. I would have loved more Baroque in there. Also, I agree with the person who said that, since you play longer works (like entire Mahler symphonies), I would like to hear more of the operas and oratorios you just played a small part of. Just my two cents.

Jan. 01 2017 01:56 PM
k9 from Gallifrey

Finally a comment on how the masses need to improve their knowledge in order to be able to choose their favorite piece of music....I figure Howard Johnson's had 28 flavors for a reason, including plain old vanilla....at least no one, as of yet, has referred to people or their choices as "pedestrian", as has been done in the past....and there has been little complaining about how the list is "fixed"....I remember complaints about the list being too predictable, then complaints when there was a change in the expected outcome.....there seems to be a real bias toward German, Russian etc. composers, I know each to their own....my complaint, no Rossini, one Verdi, one Puccini, really!!....oh well maybe next year....and I would hope that the people who always support the playing of long pieces in the countdown and regular programming, would also support the longer samples from the few operas chosen.....otherwise, good job QXR....oh, I know K9 is not really from Gallifrey

Jan. 01 2017 12:18 PM
Brad from UWS

Happy New Year, all, I wonder if we could hear how many people voted, and how many vote at least the top ten each got?

Jan. 01 2017 11:26 AM
Victor Palacios from New York

And Beethoven continues to win. In fact, there really is no other choice. However, when I see some relatively minor works ahead of the Beethoven, Wagner and Mozart masterpieces, it tells me there is much some of our listeners need to learn about music. Yes, everyone is entitled to their taste, but we must remember that there such a thing as informed, cultivated and discriminating taste. WQXR can plays an important role here.

Jan. 01 2017 10:34 AM
E.M. Rees from NYC

I do love Beethoven but enough is enough. Why isn't Bach in the top 5? He is the Shakespeare of all composers. And where is Mozart?

Jan. 01 2017 10:11 AM

So glad the Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings made the cut.

My other votes were the Dvorak Serenade for Strings, Vaughan Williams' Serenade to Music (vocal version), Britten's Serenade for Tenor Horn and Strings (why, yes, I am a tenor), and Copland's Music for the Theater. Check them out.

Happy new year!

Jan. 01 2017 02:31 AM
Steve L from Morristown, NJ

Did people notice that a lot of works on the list are those that the publishers (rather than the composers) attached a programmatic name to them, e.g., Eroica, From the New World, etc.? In a sense, the publishers effectively dictated what works would become popular. They knew what they were doing and we, the listening public, are just reinforcing their actions. Not that that is a bad thing, but it causes many worthy and wonderful works to get overlooked (see my earlier post).

Jan. 01 2017 01:47 AM
Ron Aaronson from Armonk, NY

There seems to be a lack of appreciation for the music of Bach among the commenters, which I find difficult to fathom. Bach did find his way onto the top 100 several times, nevertheless. But why not the Chaconne from the Partita for Violin in d minor?

Jan. 01 2017 01:07 AM
Marc from Norfolk, VA

Hi DuckDeadeye, I grew up in NY before moving to Norfolk in 2012!

Perfect timing this year, Good job Terrence and the whole WQXR team!

Jan. 01 2017 12:26 AM
Jackie

Well, no surprise with Beethoven 9, but I will say, no matter how many times I hear it, the finale always thrills me!

Jan. 01 2017 12:08 AM

Happy Beeth, er, New Year!

Here's a thought for next year. What if WQXR played a live recording of each work on the list? It would be great to hear applause for these works!

DD~~
Hi, Marc from Norfolk, VA. I grew up there before moving to NYC in 1976!

Jan. 01 2017 12:06 AM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

It's great to ring in the New Year once again with Beethoven's 9th!
Happy and healthy New Year to all!

Dec. 31 2016 11:31 PM
Bob from Milltown, N.J.

Well, bone of this comes exactly as a shocker. I was stunned to see Boccherini on the list, and I sure am glad that the Bach Double and the Mendelssohn Octet made it; same with the Tchaikovsky Serenade. There are always great pieces included (the Faure Requiem and Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, for example). Thank God Monteverdi sneaked in there to represent all of the Renaissance era (L'Orfeo is one of history's great operas)! Unfortunately, a lot of the list reads like a Music Appreciation 101 class - "tunes" that are catchy, but lack real depth. Dvorak's "New World" Symphony (which I'm sure will be rising from the ashes, soon) is not a great work, and the "Coming Home" tune is really quite cloying. He wrote far superior works, like the "American" String Quartet and the Piano Quintet. In the same vein, Schubert spawned a far greater trophy in the String Quintet than the "Trout" Quintet. It's amazing how many great works and composers are completely ignored in favor of the warhorses. It seems to be a lot of "I know what I've heard and what I like and I don't want to hear anything I'm not familiar with." There are amazing works by Copland, Elgar, Haydn, Janacek, Charpentier, Nielsen, Arriaga, Bloch, and others that should be explored. Sorry. Just wanted to vent.

Dec. 31 2016 10:03 PM
Chris from Brooklyn from Brooklyn

Every work on this list is worthy, no about that. Andp utting them in order is kind of unfair. And perhaps Beethoven's 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th should be put on some sort of super, ultra list, say above the other 100.

But except for the suite from Der Rosenkavalier, nothing else from Richard Strauss. Really? Any one of his tone poems deserve a place on the list: Don Q., Till E., Death and Transfiguration, Ein Heldenleben, etc. Even Thus Spake Z. did not make the list! I know you can't include everything, but come on.

Dec. 31 2016 09:38 PM
Lenore from Upper West Side

I'm surprised that the Eroica didn't even make it into the top 10. How does it usually do against #6 and #7?

Dec. 31 2016 09:19 PM
Marc from Norfolk, VA

Nice to see a lot of shifting around early in the countdown and some fresh new composers like Boccherini make it, but the top ten stay pretty constant. Also surprised to see the Brahms violin concerto missing. Regardless, no complaints here, it's always fun and interesting and it's my favorite part of New Year's. Thanks WQXR.

Dec. 31 2016 09:07 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

I love this performance of Beethoven's 7th Symphony!

Dec. 31 2016 09:06 PM
Mark Axinn from Manhattan

Nick--

Agreed, although I think the 7th came in second (beating the 5th) either last year or the year before.

As it should in my opinion.

Happy New Year!

Dec. 31 2016 08:30 PM
Nick

Alright, here are my predictions for the final 5:

5 - Beethoven's 6th
4 - Beethoven's 7th
3 - Dvorak's 9th
2 - Beethoven's 5th
1 - Beethoven's 9th

(4 and 3 might be switched)

Dec. 31 2016 08:14 PM
PAUL cooper from ELIZABETH

the music at times can put u in very nice mindset this countdown realey had me going into space some just awesome misic this countdown some of the music i never heard before,i will buying some for sure thanks W Q X R

Dec. 31 2016 08:04 PM

I guess we New Yorkers do live in the Middle Ages (although Bach is the culmination of the Baroque Era, actually), because lots of us are listening to to the Bach Festival, which has been playing nothing but, for 9 days, on WKCR 89.9 FM (or WKCR.org live streaming, if we aren't in NY). The B Minor Mass is on right now, and will be followed by the St. John's Passion at 9 PM, to end the year.

Dec. 31 2016 08:02 PM
PAUL cooper from Elizabeth, NJ

first time i heard mahler resserration
it was nice

Dec. 31 2016 07:55 PM
Lenore from Upper West Side

"The Planets"--yay!! [one of my votes] And after every one of the Brandenburgs...

I too am incredulous that the Brandenburgs beat out the Eroica!? [another one of my votes]

This is a rip-roaring performance...

Dec. 31 2016 07:36 PM
Peter Feldman from New York City

Bach's Brandenburg Concerts better than Symphony No. 3 by Beethoven? You must be kidding, the audience of WQXR lives in the Middle Ages !!

Dec. 31 2016 07:04 PM
Kevin

It's kind of a joke to play anything after Mahler's 2nd...

Dec. 31 2016 05:53 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Excellent recording of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony!

Dec. 31 2016 05:52 PM

@Mark Axinn, thanks for the shout out. I'm a Serenade kind of guy (four out of my five votes went to Serenades). I'm also a theater kind of guy, so Copland's Music for the Theater rounded out the list.

I don't think any of them will crack the Top Ten. Maybe they'll make the list next year, though, after the success of Tchaikovsky's Serenade.

Dec. 31 2016 05:13 PM
Mark Axinn from Manhattan

Steve asked on Dec. 28:
>Has Beethoven's 9th ever not won this thing?

Debussy's Suite Bergamasque won a couple years ago, shocking even the announcers, but Beethoven's 9th is the hard-money favorite most years.

Dec. 31 2016 04:49 PM

Chuck from NJ—I agree. I tried to vote for your comment, but it didn't take, and I accidentally flagged it instead, which I didn't mean to do! How about some Hildegard Von Bingen?

Dec. 31 2016 04:47 PM
d

Mark Axinn, Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven (Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 9) with the New World, Bach's Brandenburg.....and Holst!?

Dec. 31 2016 04:46 PM
Mark Axinn from Manhattan

Good news: I'm wrong already.

We've had enough Debussy and Mahler's 2d at number 8 is a great replacement.

Agree with comments about this being best countdown yet with many lengthy pieces, and also those about the offensive begging interval.

Kudos to DD. He and I have voted for the Serenade for Strings for years and it's nice to see it on the list at no. 68.

Dec. 31 2016 04:36 PM
Mark Axinn from Manhattan

So there's eight spots left to fill.

Do I hear Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven, Beethoven (Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 9) with Mozart #39, the New World, Debussy and Bach's Brandenburg?

Dec. 31 2016 04:20 PM
Katy Morgan from Manhattan

As Ibsen said: "The majority is always wrong." (or is it "never right"?) Anyhow, if you pick the top 100 pieces as voted for by the majority, you will get the tried and true, at any rate, and never ever Shostakovich's 4th Symphony. Which is not to say that most of the music is not worth listening to, yet again.....

Dec. 31 2016 03:45 PM
Jacquie from New Rochelle, NY

I for one am grateful for this fun and exciting countdown every year. It has become a family tradition to listen to it. We all vote and then get excited if our selections are chosen. We are doing well this year, especially for my son who voted Boccherini!! Love WQXR

Dec. 31 2016 11:47 AM
Trevor from Massapequa

Not an expert but Abbado seems to be taking this Eroica too slowly and smoothly. Still prefer the fiery old Toscanini recordings.

Dec. 31 2016 11:30 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

It takes all kinds to make a WQXR listener & voter.
For my part, I was in heaven last evening reading an excellent Brit mystery & hearing all of the Water Music & Goldberg Variations.
I think this has been the best countdown in memory because so many long pieces have been played in entirety, particularly choral pieces (a miss for opera lovers, I see that).
I agree about "fast & loose" -- of course they must tailor for timing & also for diversity -- not of gender, but of era.
Susan

Dec. 31 2016 11:15 AM
Nick

@odette: I sooo agree with you about the Goldberg Variations — Mahler is infinitely more interesting and exciting (I was a bit upset when I found out I missed Mahler 1 by sleeping in and had to wake up to Mozart's Reqiuem - another bore)

Dec. 31 2016 10:53 AM
eq jones

@DuckDeadaye, "@odette, I think they may be playing fast and loose with some 'votes'...."

Apropos of that, do you find it more than coincidental that the perfectly timed Rhapsody in Blue's countdown spot coincided with the Classics For Kids segment?

Dec. 31 2016 10:14 AM

Good Lord! I love the Sibelius Second symphony! takes me back to my childhood!

Dec. 31 2016 10:02 AM
Chuck from NJ

Depressingly but unsurprisingly the countdown is completely white and male. It's interesting that this doesn't upset people or provoke comment the way an exclusively white male list of, say, 100 favorite literary works, would.

Dec. 31 2016 08:39 AM
Michael from hudson valley

Nimet is in finest form just now. Wait -- What does this have to do with the great Countdown? Well, she is interrupting it. How can that be good?
She reminds us that Rodrigo was blind from age 3. Wrote in Braille. That's before the performance. After, "he lived to the ripe old age of 97". !
Then, that Papa Haydn as a youth lost his place in a boys' choir when his voice changed. Destitution suggested castration. ! But he became a valet with the celebrated conductor Nicola Porpora. Where, he said, he learned "all the fundamentals of composition." You're telling me!

Happy New Year everyone!

Dec. 31 2016 04:53 AM

@DM from New Jersey, 2015's list is available on this website. I copied 2013 and 2012 to a Word file so that I could do some comparisons.

@odette, I think they may be playing fast and loose with some 'votes'—see my Comment re 'Clair de lune/Suite Bergamasque' of Debussy. They have to get the timing right to allow for programming all of that Beethoven to ring in the new year.

Dec. 31 2016 02:48 AM

These pieces remind me of the ELECTORAL COLLEGE! "Air on the G string" parity with
the complete WAGNER RING of 15 hours.

A CARMEN Aria vs. SWAN LAKE ( 2+ hours)

GOLDBERG VARIATIONS higher than any MAHLER SYMPHONY. Lordie, BACH is boring

Dec. 31 2016 12:24 AM
DM from New Jersey

It would interesting if WQXR would show us the Classical Countdowns
from past years. I would like to see what changes have made in the
selections. Also why not have a Classical Countdown with selections
from the on air hosts? Figure 5 selections each and play those before
the listener's selections. I am sure that many listeners are curious as
to what would be selected. Those selections could be played a few days before
the traditional Classical Countdown.

Dec. 30 2016 10:19 PM

@eq jones, Bingo!

I don't see how being 'supported' by Sil*** H*** Hospital (or any other hospital) is anything other than a commercial. Or being 'supported' by a theater (or theater company) but only when they have a featured production on the boards.

But I'm liking the countdown, for the most part.

Dec. 30 2016 08:57 PM
Steve L from Morristown, NJ

I have said in previous years that there should be some attention paid to underappreciated works. There is much wonderful music by composers like Enesco, Dvorak, Smetana, Elgar, Holst, Janacek, Butterworth, Rodrigo, de Falla, etc. that flies under the radar screen and should be better known. This list could go on and on. The countdown becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

Dec. 30 2016 07:52 PM
eq jones

@wally from manhattan, you're off-base.

Fundraising is most assuredly acceptable, but obnoxious placement and excess are not!

Dec. 30 2016 07:26 PM
David Bee from Brooklyn

Re: "Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade is No. 25 on the #ClassicalCountdown, which means we're 2/3 of the way through."

Although I appreciate this year-ending tradition of the Top 100 on WQXR, the person who wrote the above had better check his/her arithmetic! [You'd be 2/3 of the way through if it were the Top 75 instead, which would anyway probably be an awkward choice for a "Top [Number]". (A previous poster recommended a Top 50 instead, with good reasons...)]

Dec. 30 2016 05:37 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

So happy to hear my favorite, Bruckner's 8th Symphony! I agree with d that this has been a great list so far, with a good variety of works. This is the way WQXR's programming should be all the time!

Dec. 30 2016 04:53 PM
d

So far this is the best list yet. We have big pieces (Bruckner's 8th) and little pieces (Copland's Fanfare), solos and chamber music. Bruch, Monteverdi, Boccherini, Schumann etc. Congrats to the voters!

Dec. 30 2016 03:44 PM
Trevor from Massapequa

Thank you for the von Stade/ van Dam excerpts from Figaro and the soaring voice of Dorothea Roschmann in the German Requiem.

Dec. 30 2016 03:34 PM
Miles from NJ

With all the recordings of the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto which abound, Van Cliburn's still remains the supreme version IMHO. Even Argerich's live version with the same conductor, while close, doesn't have it "all" like Cliburn's --- the technique, the power, the poetry, the soul. I heard him perform it live at Lewisohn Stadium right after his return from winning First Prize in the Soviet Union in 1958. I was 12 years old and it was unforgettable.

Dec. 30 2016 03:14 PM

@Ron Aaronson
Yeah, it's a little strange. "Fanfare" didn't make the list last year but was #61 in 2014.

And while 'Clair de lune" came in at #35 this year, Debussy's entire Suite Bergamasque was #22 last year. Curiouser and curiouser!

Dec. 30 2016 03:00 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

@Wally: I am not entitled. I am a sustaining member since WQXR inception and give extra during the twice yearly pledges.
I am not a free-loader.

Dec. 30 2016 01:58 PM
Ron Aaronson from Armonk, NY

"Symphonie Fantastique" comes in at #99 while "Fanfare for the Common Man", a 3 1/2 minute trifle by a composer who has created far greater works, comes in at #31. It is a puzzlement.

Dec. 30 2016 01:51 PM
wally from manhattan

anyone who complains about a public radio station having to ask for money is feeling a little too entitled - wanting things just their own way without considering the needs of others

Dec. 30 2016 11:56 AM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

I agree with the previous comments about the fundraising. It's too bad that WQXR feels the need to interrupt the Classical Countdown to beg for money. I realize that it is necessary to ask listeners for their support, and I do support the station, but there are better ways to do this without being so obnoxious. I hardly ever listen to WQXR anymore, except for the Classical Countdown, and while in the car.
The station I regularly listen to online and support is the Radio Arts Foundation-St. Louis (rafstl.org). They are a public station also and their fundraising is polite and unobtrusive. They don't change their programming during fund drives, (about two or three times a year for a week each time), continuing to play longer works in their entirety, with only a few more breaks in between to discuss their needs, and then back to the music.
Maybe WQXR can learn a lesson from them!

Dec. 30 2016 11:26 AM
Nick

Wow, Mahler 5's really a showstopper — gets me going every time

Dec. 30 2016 11:24 AM
Joan L Roccasalvo from Scarsdale, NY

In my view, it would be enough for WQXR to select from top fifty gems of classical pieces. When the list is expanded to 100, excellence is subjected to uneven musical judgments. Some masters, anonymous or known, have been bypassed, especially pre-Baroque compositions beginning with Gregorian Chant from the Golden Age of Music.
Has no one voted for Medieval and Renaissance Music? Perhaps these periods should be included by the Staff itself, especially seeking out the expertise of Clayelle Dalferes and her two other announcers from Midnight to 5:30 AM.
For the most part, the 2016 countdown has disappointed this listener with its triteness.

Dec. 30 2016 10:52 AM
VESPASIAN from Suffolk

Thank God they stopped dialing for dollars.

Dec. 30 2016 10:47 AM
Barbara from NJ

In answer to a question: yes, I can remember a time when Beethoven's Fifth was #1 and The Ninth was #2. I believe there even was a year in which something of Mozart or Bach came in second, splitting the two big symphonies. I am partial to the Fifth, so always cast one of my five votes for it.

Dec. 30 2016 09:46 AM
Susan Montauk from Leaving NYC for home.

Oh, and I love the Rite of Spring. Such exciting music, intersped with moments of quiet sadness.

Dec. 30 2016 09:37 AM
Susan Montauk from Leaving NYC for home.

Too bad that they have to beg in the middle of this without warning. Would they have scheduled his if they felt they had enough money to operate until the next fund raiser, or do they always have some new idea in the back of the mind they would like to try that cost more than they have.

Today is a travel day for me, alas, wish it had been yesterday. This countdown is my favorite listening of the year because the pieces are all good and they mostly play the whole thing. They miss some great things--I think next year I shall give 5 votes to one of Beethoven's late string quartets, but it seems to me there is just more good music.

Just want to say I love Bach, I agree with Tomassini that he is the greatest and there are few symphonies that hang together better than Beethoven's fifth.

Dec. 30 2016 09:28 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

I forgot to mention among my favorites is the gorgeous Borodin String Quartet.
Also loved the DeLosAngeles/Bjoerling duet. I have the CD.
Happy New Year to all.

Dec. 30 2016 07:10 AM
francis booth

neither the classical countdown, nor the scheduled music for thursday
whose cock-a-mamie idea was yet another full day of begging and so soon after the last campaign? is the station in such dire straits?
not such hot public relations, how many supporters will you loose? probably very few but there must be a lot of disgruntled ones - like me

Dec. 29 2016 08:21 PM
Susan from Upper West Side from Upper West Side

Rosanna -- Lets also say Spasibo for the holiday gift of the entire Bach Mass. That makes up for a great deal of fund-raising!
Susan

Dec. 29 2016 05:27 PM
Rosanna from NYC

Thank you -- merci bien -- muchas gracias -- viel danke -- grazie mille volte -- for the wonderful, entire Bach Mass in B Minor by the Bach Collegium Japan, conducted by the masterful Masaaki Suzuki!!!!! I hope WQXR will acquire the Missa Dei Patris by J-D Zelenka one day soon; Maestro Suzuki conducted a sublime performance of it at Juilliard a couple yrs back. There can NEVER be enough glorious baroque choral music on WQXR, especially considering the turbulent state of world events one has to absorb daily.

Dec. 29 2016 04:46 PM
Susan from Upper West Side from Upper West Side

Vespasian -- You're so right about Public TV. I hate to hear WQXR being as pathetic as they are.
I know about Verdi & Va Pensiero because a few years ago WQXR did a Verdi immersion week & told a lot about his life, & how important he was & is to the Italian people. What I mean is, we do I think need someone who could write a stirring anthem or do something else to get us more involved patriotic in a better way.
Susan

Dec. 29 2016 04:00 PM
Vespasian from Suffolk

@Susan: Va pensiero is the unofficial Italian national anthem.
Yes, they are being very shrill. I know they need money but they remind me of Public TV.
Happy New Year

Dec. 29 2016 02:50 PM
Susan from Upper West Side from Upper West Side

Vespasian -- Va Pensiero is my favorite too. I voted for it -- did they play it? Where is Verdi when we need him for a new stirring anthem!
No one else has commented that how they have stretched the Countdown out is by spending all day today in the most shrill year-end pleading for funds ever. Yuck. Susan

Dec. 29 2016 01:43 PM
vespasian from Suffolk

Va Pensiero ---my favorite.

Dec. 29 2016 01:18 PM
eqjones from Brooklyn

@Sam from Brooklyn, I was wondering, too, but I guess we should have known.

Dec. 29 2016 12:49 PM
Steve

Has Beethoven's 9th ever not won this thing?

Dec. 28 2016 11:19 PM
David Gravitz from Werstchester County, NY

Least liked - Wagner - everything
Unsung masterpieces I know won't make the list but I wish they would -
Mozart - Symphony #25 (his "other" g minor symphony), Tchaikovsky - Piano trio in a minor, Schubert - Piano trio #2, Beethoven - Apassionata Sonata

Dec. 28 2016 10:55 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Love hearing the Bach B Minor Mass in its entirety!
Susanna, since I don't like Rite of Spring either, I took that opportunity to shred some old documents!

Dec. 28 2016 10:16 PM
Jane

I'm confused about what's actually airing right now -- the website claims it's Mozart's 40th symphony, but the list claims that's already finished (as well as the Nutcracker) and that Rach 3 is up, and furthermore the piece actually being played has voices (so it can't be Mozart's 40th)...

Dec. 28 2016 10:14 PM

@Sam from Brooklyn, see Bach's Mass in B minor. Much more air time than Mozart's "Don Giovanni," or "Magic Flute." (Not that that's a problem for me.)

Dec. 28 2016 09:47 PM
Susanna Levin

Least liked should be just a listing -- not for listening (:-). Stravinsky's Rite of Spring would be on my list for that.
Least known would be good. I like some things from early music that are not well-known.
As far as opera goes, if people don't vote for it, it won't make the list -- simple as that.
Interesting that several pieces moved up the ladder from last year.

Dec. 28 2016 09:36 PM
Sam from Brooklyn

Starting to wonder how they're going to spread this out so it actually lasts to New Year's...

Dec. 28 2016 09:03 PM

@ John from Montana, "West Side Story" dances have made the list in years past, but were not on the 2015 list.

Dec. 28 2016 12:48 PM
Trevor from Massapequa

Thanks for de los Angeles/ Bjoerling O soave fanciulla...still the best!

Dec. 28 2016 12:39 PM
John Battaglia from Montana

I see that Bernstein's "West Side Story" has made it into the countdown at #76. Since when is this classical music?

Dec. 28 2016 11:54 AM
eqjones from Brooklyn

I'd love to see a listing of the number of votes each piece got.

I've always wondered what it takes to make the list...bottom and top.

Dec. 28 2016 11:31 AM

Thunk! Sorry, I fainted a little. For the first time ever, one of my selections made it. Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings in C, Op. 48.

And at 68 on the list (having not made the list at all for at least the last couple of years).

DD~~
(Maybe there's hope for my other four.)

Dec. 28 2016 09:06 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

re: Tony is correct.
Now for MY favorites:
Jenkins Benedictus.
Verdi: Macbeth, Otello, Aida
Puccini: Manon Lescaut, Tosca
Rossini: Barber of Seville
Beethoven: Eroica, Fidelio
Wagner: Siegfried
Mozart: Sinfonia concertante for violin and viola
Happy New Year to all

Dec. 28 2016 08:35 AM
Tony from Buffalo, NY

I don't know about "least liked", but how about "least known"? Listeners could nominate a work that they wish were wider known. Those with the fewest mentions get to be heard!

I'd start off with Parry's Symphony #1 in G - first time I thought it, I thought it was an unknown piece by Elgar.

Tony

Dec. 28 2016 08:10 AM
Josh from Queens

can't believe Symphonie fantastique is no. 99 when it should be in the top 10. I also agree Shostakovitch should be included - esp his symphony no 9 - one of my favorites. Also not a big fan of Bach whose music is mainly boring and repetitive, with a few exceptions. I can definitely do without WQXRs Your morning Bach - would rather substitute it for Your morning Mozart - much more enjoyable and relaxing.

Dec. 28 2016 01:07 AM
Nick from NYC

Hoping for some Shostakovich other than his 5th symphony this year... (but definitely not gonna get it)

Dec. 27 2016 10:06 PM

Great to hear all this wonderful music at this time of year.

However, for those of us who are opera lovers, it's disappointing to see so far that operas in the countdown appear to be given short shrift, presumably due to time constraints.

If there's time to play all 90 minutes of Mahler's 3rd Symphony, why not play more of "Don Giovanni" than just the overture, "Là ci darem la mano" and Leporello's Catalogue aria? There's so much great music in an opera; surely they merit more than just an overture or prelude and a minimal smidgen of highlights.

If it were a symphony, I'm sure many listeners would be disturbed if you edited out one of the movements due to time constraints. So it would be much appreciated if you can be at least a little more generous with opera selections. Thanks!

Dec. 27 2016 04:16 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Among my least favorites would be almost anything by Richard Strauss except "Death and Transfiguration" and maybe a couple of other works.

Dec. 27 2016 04:05 PM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

Hi Carol,
My least favorite would just be to raise a few hackles.
Ravel's Bolero
Beethoven 5th
Vocalise
I Puritani
Donizetti's 3 Queens, which I lovingly call the 3 Dogs
I Lombardi
Die Meistesinger(?)
Schubert's Unfinished
Some of the Bach Cantatas that sound like the singers have tummy trouble.
Best wishes

Best wishes

Dec. 27 2016 03:55 PM
Judith Barr from Canada

Well, if you only do short works, how about J.S. Bach's, Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring, played by Dame Myra Hess. long works: Beethoven's, piano trio in Eb+, Op. 70 #2, with the Beaux Arts Trio.

Dec. 27 2016 01:19 PM
d

And Respighi Botticelli Triptych not on the list before in at 89.

Dec. 27 2016 12:45 PM
d

A year of change? Chopin Grande Valse #29 last year 91 this year. Prokofiev "Classical" 54 last year 92 this year. Rachmaninoff "Paganini", Bach Two Violins, Schubert "Unfinished", Sibelius Finladia, not on the list at all. And Trump is President.

Dec. 27 2016 12:15 PM
Carol Luparella from Garfield, NJ

Hi Concetta,
Interesting idea, but if it was our least favorite works, would anyone want to listen?
Actually, I enjoy listening to the Classical Countdown because we finally get to hear works that are longer and more substantial, which is a welcome relief from the usual fare at WQXR. Also, I enjoy all the comments!
Best wishes!

Dec. 27 2016 11:04 AM
Concetta Nardone from Nassau

It will not differ too much from past years. I made a suggestion
to QXR to have a list of least liked works. This would be a hoot.

Dec. 27 2016 06:35 AM